ONCE again "DIN" or "YOKE"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cybordolphin

Reaction score
I will be diving mostly in California, Hawaii, and hopefully Mexico some time.

Now.. I understand that it is easier to convert a "YOKE" reg/valve to a DIN tank setup.

BUT it seems as everyone is saying it is best to go with a "DIN" reg/valve.

I will buy my own tanks to accomodate a "DIN" setup. BUT I do want to be able to use a "YOKE" tank in a pinch.

SHOULD I just go with the "YOKE" and get the small insert to adapt to a "DIN"? That almost seems to make more sense... since this type of adaptation is simple and requires a much simpler/smaller adaptor (design).

I am new to diving (getting certified).

Thanks.

OK, you CAN'T put a yoke reg on a DIN valve (300DIN). You can put a yoke reg on a 200DIN valve (not very common anymore) with an insert. You can easily, by way of an adaptor or conversion, use a DIN reg on a yoke valve. If I had known better way back when, I would have bought all DIN regs with yoke conversions so I could use a yoke valve in a pinch. Instead, I wasted a lot of money buying yoke regs (junk regs at that) and converting them to DIN. The conversion to yoke is cheaper and/or about the same as the adaptor.

Mike

This is very simple. On my Scubapro Mk20's and Mk 16's, you need a 12" adjustable wrench which will reach around one leg of the yoke, and you need to put the first stage body into a soft jawed vise or otherwise restrain it with some kind of leverage device that won't scar it up. You loosen the large nut and unscrew the whole unit from the reg body. Then you insert the first part of the Din converter into the body and tighten with the correct size Allen Wrench (hex wrench). Then you put in the filter, the spring, and the second part, which is also tightened with a different sized allen wrench. You're done. I've done it many times, on the tailgate of a truck, or in my shop where I have a good wooden vise. I carry several converters and a couple of extra regs, but you could use only one and convert it at will.

I prefer the tank valves with the removable inserts, yoke and 200 Bar Din. That's much easier to convert. Either way is doable. I think in the future all my tanks will have the Din/Yoke adapter on the tank valve, I prefer Din setup because it is more secure and more compact.

The US Divers Micra (or any other US Divers rig using the SEA first stage) can be rigged with Yoke or DIN. Just buy both rigs when you buy your reg.
I typically rig my Micras with Yoke for recreational diving and with DIN for "tech". The switch of the connecting hardware takes about two minutes.
Rick

An on-going question and probably will be for years. Both obviously work well. Yoke regs currently outnumber DIN regs worldwide. Both are reliable and easy to use. Most regs can be converted from one to the other. (The other limiting factor, as others have pointed out, is the pressure rating)
Yoke has one o ring that can blow out. (The old black ones were far, far more notorious for this than the white ones) Din adaptors usually have 3 o rings, but they are "captured". (Most adaptors an internal one that cannot be viewed without disassembly, and one at each end) Regs can usually be bought for either type service and later adapted for the other. My Sherwoods can be converted over with a wrench and an added adaptor. My Zeagles can easily and quickly be converted over, either way, without any tools at all!

If I was buying my regs today instead of when I did 12 months ago, I would definitely have bought a DIN regulator with the yoke adapter. My reg in question is the Apeks DST - wishing I'd bought the DIN DS4 with adapter instead.

My regulator is fine as it is, but one point is I'll never be able to take advantage of HP tanks with it without spending more money.

Hindsight!!!

Hi,

I use an Apeks Tx-50 with the DST DIN first stage. I have a DIN to Yoke adapter for vacations when I'm using aluminum tanks with Yoke valves. After reading these boards (read: if I had it to do over again) I would get the DS4 in DIN and get a yoke conversion kit. The adapter works okay, but it moves the first stage closer to the back of your head.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom