One Of The Most Remarkable Events In Sports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhone Man

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I appreciate most people on SB follow American sports if they follow sports at all, but one of the most remarkable sports stories of all time is nearing its conclusion in the UK.

In the English premiership it is often said that there can be no "Cinderella" teams. European sports have no draft and unrestricted free agency, so the best teams buy up all the best players, and thus win all the time. And the season is just too long (36 games played over 10 months) for any plucky young upstart team to have a chance. With the result that since the premiership started, only five teams have ever won it, and Manchester United have won more than every other team combined.

Accordingly, at the start of this season, the odds on humble little Leicester City winning the premiership were set at 5,000 to 1. Think about it - the bookmakers believed that if we were to play the season over and over again for a century, you could still get 50 to 1 on Leicester City winning it even one of those times.

But barring an upset of extravagant proportions, win it they will. How on earth did this happen? I have no idea. But I intend to sit back and watch the culmination of something that we probably won't see again in my lifetime.

There have been some truly astonishing upsets in sport history: Greatest Upsets In Sports History . But they are almost all one-off moments of brilliance. 36 moments of brilliance over 10 months is a new trick indeed.

Yes but I hope MU whip the Foxes on Sun. Let them beat Chelski to settle this.

It is indeed incredible to see. I just wish i bet on them to start the year.

There was a great story about a Leicester fan who did exactly that, and put down 10 pounds (about US$16). About two-thirds of the way through the season the bookmakers bought back his stake for 29,000 pounds. Some way less than it was worth if he had held out for the entire season, but he said the stress of it was just killing his Dad, so he took the offer to cash in. He didn't say, but I am guessing superstition played a part too.

Nervous Leicester fan cashes in £10 title bet early - and he may have lost £££s

I appreciate most people on SB follow American sports if they follow sports at all, but one of the most remarkable sports stories of all time is nearing its conclusion in the UK..
The story has been getting quite a bit of exposure on national radio and news stations in the States. Everyone loves a story of a come from behind underdog. Its kind of what keeps Chicago Cubs fans coming back to the baseball park, patiently waiting their turn after several decades.

I think that the Cubs winning WS would be bigger than the Foxes winning PL. Just saying.

As a Tottenham supporter I've got to tip my hat to them. While I think Tottenham talent-wise has been the better team, Leicester has done what they've needed to do.

Unfortunately, I think it will all be over today. Can't seeing my Spurs coming out with a win against Chelsea today.

Thanks Chelski. What a game! More like a fight!

Yep, it's official now:

Leicester City have won the Premier League title in one of the greatest sporting stories of all time.

Tottenham's 2-2 draw at Chelsea on Monday confirmed a stunning achievement for Claudio Ranieri's side.

Leicester started the campaign as 5,000-1 outsiders for the title after almost being relegated last season.

But they have lost just three league games in what has been described as a "fairytale" and the "most unlikely triumph in the history of team sport".

Leicester City win Premier League title after Tottenham draw at Chelsea

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom