one piece vs 2 piece wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wanted to add some things about choosing a 7mm suit.
  1. The suit I mentioned that I borrowed recently had a zipper that was not backed up with neoprene, meaning cold water will seep through to the skin. The one I bought has a neoprene flap under the zipper to prevent that.
  2. I tried to use a different borrowed suit, but I could not. Even though the size was roughly the same as the one I eventually used (different brand), I could not get it on. I could not get my feet through the bottom part of the leg and ankle. The one I bought has zippers on the ankles and wrists.
  3. The one I bought was purchased online, without trying it on. I chose one with a very detailed sizing chart, and I used it carefully for a good fit. Be warned! It can get ugly! Read some of the stories in this thread for some scary possibilities: Close call in the dressing room

As people are identifying water control as an important issue, I will add that an attached hood also helps.

When I dove w/ a separate hood, I could feel the cold water creeping down my back from the neck seal.

Now I have a 8/7/6 mm fullsuit w/ attached hood. Im generally fine in our local waters, which can get as low as 48 deg F. Some folks get the attached hood via a hooded vest, but I dont feel I need the added neoprene on my core - it has 8 mm already.

Since we are on water control and hoods. Back when all I had was a wetsuit.

Had a bibbed hood. Henderson Aqualock which has sealing strips where parts attach to limit water flow. Generally works very well. One day on a California dive I was assisted with tucking in the hood as I zipped up. They put an S-fold at the back of my neck. I had never been so cold on a dive. Might as well have left the zipper open. It funneled cold water right into my back where it circulated around and froze me. I got a hooded vest after that. Not for the extra core warmth (never noticed any), but because it is impossible for someone to assist me and S-fold the back of my hood ever again. Used that right up until I went dry.

Hello. I used a 6.5 mm Farmer John, along with a 7mm hood, and 6.5MM gloves, and boots in New England for 18 years.
It gave me a little more than a 1/2 inch of thickness protecting my torso. Being a Winter diver in New England....I was always mindful of my core temperature, and manual dexterity.
I was generally comfortable down to 42 degree water temp. (Then, switched to my DUI TLS.)
I recently gave my one piece Solar Flex away. I've looked around....Farmer Johns' are somewhat scarce.
Since moving down South, I'm using a 3MM top with everyday cargo shorts.
If, you can find a suit with gusset ankle, and wrist zippers (Reducing water flow.)
I would recommend that. They're a little more pricey. The are also companies that will custom make a wet suit for you.
At 6'3" 250 lbs. I'm leaning towards custom.
Cheers.
Edit: As, a "Solo Diver." I always make sure, regardless of what kind of suit. I can don, and doff it without assistance.

As @uncfnp stated, the bigger question is open cell vs closed cell wetsuit. Most (quality) two-piece wetsuits are open cell. Open cell (unlined interior) is dramatically warmer and less bulky than a closed cell (lined interior) wetsuit. I will never buy another one-piece suit. I have both 3mm and 5mm Mako Yamamoto open cell two-piece wetsuits with integrated hoods and couldn’t be happier. I will be purchasing a two-piece 7mm prior to diving the Sea of Cortez and Socorro next year. Mako offers excellent products and service. Here is a link to my review of the suits.

Review: Mako Yamamoto Two Piece Open Cell Wetsuits (3mm and 5mm) MAKO Spearguns

As @uncfnp stated, the bigger question is open cell vs closed cell wetsuit. Most (quality) two-piece wetsuits are open cell. Open cell (unlined interior) is dramatically warmer and less bulky than a closed cell (lined interior) wetsuit. I will never buy another one-piece suit. I have both 3mm and 5mm Mako Yamamoto open cell two-piece wetsuits with integrated hoods and couldn’t be happier. I will be purchasing a two-piece 7mm prior to diving the Sea of Cortez and Socorro next year. Mako offers excellent products and service. Here is a link to my review of the suits.

Review: Mako Yamamoto Two Piece Open Cell Wetsuits (3mm and 5mm) MAKO Spearguns

These Mako suits are for free diving. Would you really wear one down at 60ft for an hour?

Honestly there is so much variation person to person that it's tough to straight up recommend ANY suit but....

A one piece wetsuit with an attached good is generally the warmest style of wetsuit. I used to dive an excel semi dry that trapped air/water so well I had to unzip it at depth to relieve suit squeeze.

A one piece jump suit or a two piece farmer john can both be improved by wearing a hooded vest imo. If certain parts of your body don't usually get cold you can gain flexibility by choosing an appropriately thinner layer such as a 5mm overalls with a 7mm jacket or vice versa

If you're really committing to cold water diving tho. Dry is dry.

These Mako suits are for free diving. Would you really wear one down at 60ft for an hour?

Why not? I wore my 7mm Mako on some 150' dives a couple of months back. I was perfectly comfortable with bottom temps in the low 50s. Deco stops starting at 80ft had temps in the low 60s to 70s, and I was toasty by the time I got back on the boat.

Absolutely! I have been for the last two years. The Mako open cell “freediving” suits are dramatically warmer than my previous closed cell wetsuits. The flexible Yamamoto neoprene fits like a second skin. The integrated hood, wrist and ankle seals prevent cold water from entering the suit, so the thin layer of water between skin and suit (warmed from body heat) is maintained.

Neoprene compresses at depth. Doesn’t matter if it’s open or closed cell, so I don’t understand your concern. Can you elaborate? Maybe @MAKO Spearguns can address your questions. Cheers.

Thanks for the comments. We have a lot of customers who use our "freedive" suits for scuba diving and have received very positive feedback. Sometimes people who are unfamiliar with freedive gear (such as long fins, rubber weightbelt, freedive suit, low volume mask etc.) assume that these products are just for freediving, but that is a misconception.

Even something as simple as a weightbelt is not given much consideration, probably because the buckle "looks" different and the quick release aspect of it is not obvious until you can play with it.

With regard to wetsuits, a freediver is hindered greatly by suit compression and the buoyancy changes that result. A freediver has no BC, so they are forced to be light near the surface and have to KICK down initially and then when deep, they are heavy and have to KICK up (like their lives depend on it).

Fighting the buoyancy swings in the safest and least strenuous manner is a big part of learning to freedive. They also have to contend with chest compression which further exacerbates the buoyancy swing and is present even when diving without a wetsuit.

For this reason, a freediver generally attempts to MINIMIZE the amount of neoprene they wear. They want the thinnest and warmest suit possible - that still provides adequate thermal protection.

So it is not hard to understand why they choose an integrated hood, no zippers to leak and sealing surfaces around the face and wrists and ankles. These features along with quality neoprene and water tight seams are what make freedive suits so warm - relative to scuba suits of similar thickness that may have zippers, detached hoods etc.

The interior of the suit is smooth rubber as well, which tends to reduce migration of water and also enhances the flexibility of the neoprene because there is no second layer of nylon fabric on the interior which inhibits stretch. It is also VERY important that a freediver minimizes any chest restriction which would inhibit full inhalations and relaxed breathing at the surface.

We offer 3, 5 and 7 mm suits for men, women and children.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom