One Way To Evaluate DM Internship Programs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Not a week goes by here on SB where someone doesn't come along and ask "Where should I do a DM internship program?"

Of course this will be met by advocates of two schools of thought:
1.) Tropical DM internships are wonderful
2.) Tropical DM internships are the fourth sign of the apocalypse

So, how is a prospective DM intern to know what they are getting into? Of course no program is going to tell someone "Well, truth be told, we turn out pretty crappy DMs and Instructors at the end of the day."

However, I have recently noticed that a great many internship programs are more than happy to post pictures of their daily activities on social media. So it would seem that a prospective DM candidate might get a pretty good, unfiltered, take on the quality of DMs that a program turns out by checking out a program's FaceBook page, Twitter feed, Instagram account, etc. Take a look at what you see and ask yourself "Is this the type of DM I'm hoping to become?" and "Would I hire any of the DM's I see in the photos?"

One such facility likes to send multiple Twitter updates out each day. Here we see DMC practicing skills earlier this week. Including skills that have been discontinued more than a year ago. In the photos with multiple people, you'll have to decide for yourself who the non-divers, DMC's and instructors are... as it will not be obvious from observing them.

DM_Internship2.png

Here's a different program, though it seems to be run by instructors who were graduates of the program shown above...

DM_internship10_CANCUN.JPG

At least he was able to spring into action when both of his DMC's had a bit of a hiccup during the alternate air source skill...

DM_internship24.JPG

As a DM Candidate, you'll want to pay attention to social media post, such as the one from this central american program - that will help you determine whether you'll get the individual 1-on-1 attention that you expect...

DM_internship20.JPG

You can also tell a lot about a tropical internship program by seeing what skills they emphasize in their social media posts. Take this program in Mexico, for example...

DM_internship18.JPG

DM_internship19.JPG

DM_internship17.JPG

The facilities are important as well. Social media posts will allow prospective candidates to assess important parameters such as whether the program's Beer Pong table is regulation height...

DM_internship25.JPG

Many facilities offer not just DM internships, but the chance to move on to their IDC internship as well. If you complete that, the facility will surely post a "graduation photo" of your class, showing all the new instructor candidates who are now ready to take their IE, like this Thailand-based program...

DM_internship21.JPG

Once you're an instructor, you might want to get instructor ratings for a few specialty courses while you're at the tropical internship facility. Here's one conducting what I can only assume is a "Search & Destroy" distinctive specialty, although the caption on the FB page of this Caribbean program said it was new instructors doing their Search & Recovery training...

DM_internship23.JPG

This ironic series - from a popular zero-to-hero program in SE Asia - appears to show OW-to-DM candidates patiently waiting their turn to complete the skills circuit for their PPB class... completing the circuit... and then settling back down to the bottom as their instructor looks on, proudly.

Bouyancy2.JPG

And, if you really want to go all the way in your tropical training, many programs even offer the opportunity to bang out a bunch of certs in a week or two and then become a Master Scuba Diver Trainer and even move on to IDC Staff Instructor training. Here's one picture posted by a facility with a caption indicating that these are Staff Instructor Candidates practicing skills. Again, you'll need to determine for yourself which divers are MSDT's, IDC Staff Instructors, and Course Directors...

IDC_Staff.JPG

All joking aside, there is no joking in the photos above. They were all pulled from recent social media posts put up by multiple DM/Instructor internship programs... depicting their DMC's, DMs, Instructors, MSDTs, IDC Staff candidates, and Course Directors in action. Though it should be noted that several programs had no pictures of divers in action on their FB or Twitter feeds... unless you count hundreds of photos of blonde bikini and boardshort clad interns doing shots, playing frisbee, and riding mopeds around town to be "action shots" of prospective dive pros.

So, again, if you are interested in pursuing a DM/IDC internship (especially one that goes from OW-Instructor) I would encourage you to take a look at the social media properties of any program you are considering. Take a look at what you see there and ask yourself "Is this the level of dive skill I aspire to?" and "Is this the type of DM/Instructor I'm hoping to become?" and "Would I hire any of the DMs/Instuctors I see in the photos?" Be sure you are comfortable with your answer to those questions before you decide to move forward.

Last edited:
"...before settling back to the bottom as their instructor looks on proudly. "

LMAO. Oh man, thanks.

No shots of the "posing for cute lady divers" specialty cert?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

This is going to get a lot of likes.....well done.

If only it wasn't so true.

Wow... I recently saw social media pics for course director training that was just as bad. Just as bad.

Habits get passed on from the top down. As in teaching Scuba: it's monkey see, monkey do! Your students want to emulate YOU so you have to always set the best, most neutral example. If you want them to stay off the reef, then you must stay off of the bottom. It's really not that hard either. You just have to want to.

Wow... I recently saw social media pics for course director training that was just as bad. Just as bad.

Here's what one IDC program tweeted today...

full

Last edited:
Please take the survey: we need a baseline.

Thank you RJP for your in-depth perspective. I am just starting to research schools for my DM training. Your article opened my eyes, for a second time. They were first opened during many dives at various resorts mostly in the in the Pacific and a few in the Caribbean, where I wasn't comfortable with the DM's skills or attentiveness. Your article confirms why.

Some time ago I wrote on this forum about what I had witnessed - DM's not properly checking new and pensive seasonal open water certified only divers before water entry. I have grabbed fins from under seats and charged into the water to the aid of panicked divers who forgot them and helped put them on (even before my Rescue Diver course), I have opened wide-eyed and surprised divers air valves underwater, strapped on floating-away BC's, chased down and retrieved and secured cylinders that slipped completely out of BC's, and once raced to catch a diver who had forgotten to inflate her BC hurtling straight down in the open ocean into a school of sharks below - at 125 feet (we were given a hard-deck of 60'), with no sign of her slowing down. And there's the infamous time a DM grabbed my friend from another DM's watch and dragged her below 60 feet to come with us to a wreck at 150' when on the surface she had previously explained she was only certified to 60' and had trouble equalizing, and was to stay with her DM at or above 60. I had to fight him off to free her from his grasp, slowly surfacing while still fending him off, all the while watching tears stream from my friend's eyes through her mask as she held her ears, and afterward took her to the hospital while she screamed in pain. I told the dive shop owner and he defended his DM, shrugged and said "some people just can't take it." I posted these events here under the warning that when visiting resorts far from home they may not receive the quality of leadership they may be used to at their LDS, and I got blasted by pro-divers who accosted me, saying "Do you know the company you're in here on this forum?" I didn't have the cred to fight it so I dropped it, but am glad to see I wasn't alone. Thank you for recognizing and acknowledging that we must all be vigilant in our diving education.

Yeah, www.DiveWithElena.com got hacked and should be restored soon.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom