Ongoing problem with Fiji deaths using "UBA"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I once met a sea cucumber diver in the chamber in Raja Ampat. They dive without any idea about the bends. He did 4 dives that day up to 60m down, without doing any decostops... He was paralysed from his legs down. I wouldn't be surprised this goes down the same line.

Those poor divers got bent for not following dive table, much less know how to use it if they do have one or even have no depth gauge, nor watch, nor dive computer.
Sounds a lot like the poor Honduran lobster divers. They make decent money until crippled like the rest of the old men in the village.

I've been diving in Fiji a few times, and I was stunned at one dedicated dive resort that not a single one of the dive guides had a computer. One of them kept prodding me on the dives to ask to see my computer, so in effect I was setting the profile for the whole group. None of their rental gear included computers, and all the other divers in the group were in rental gear. If I hadn't brought my own gear with me, nobody in the group would have had a computer. And this was at a dedicated dive resort. I know dive computers aren't cheap for these guys to buy given local wages, but I was still gobsmacked given some of the dive profiles we were doing.

None of what I've read about these cases in Fiji surprises me.

Brings to mind the picture of the guy with a 20lb propane tank on his back attached to a hose in his mouth.

I've been diving in Fiji a few times, and I was stunned at one dedicated dive resort that not a single one of the dive guides had a computer. One of them kept prodding me on the dives to ask to see my computer, so in effect I was setting the profile for the whole group.
Have had a similar experience in Fiji, the DM didn't have his computer during any of our dives that week, it needed the batteries changed, had been over a month since the batteries had died.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A large number of off-topic posts related to conservation, sea cucumbers, and the ethics of underwater hunting have been deleted. Please familiarize yourself with, and remember, the special rules for this forum. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A large number of off-topic posts related to conservation, sea cucumbers, and the ethics of underwater hunting have been deleted. Please familiarize yourself with, and remember, the special rules for this forum. Marg, SB Senior Moderator
Hi Marg, if it is not too late, could that off topic thread be transferred to a more appropriate forum? We off-topic-posters can continue an important conversation about humanity’s balancing needs, wants and responsibilities. Thank you! Frances

Hi Marg, if it is not too late, could that off topic thread be transferred to a more appropriate forum? We off-topic-posters can continue an important conversation about humanity’s balancing needs, wants and responsibilities. Thank you! Frances
OK. I have moved it here:Conservation and harvesting sea cucumbers

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom