Online CPR ok?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crispix

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Serious question, please don't flame me!

I am nearing completion of my DiveCon course. First Aid and CPR certification is a requirement, and my dive shop will not be offering a course. So I am on my own.

I was certified by the Red Cross years ago, it is now expired. (In fact, I've taken the Red Cross course twice over the years.) Prior to that, I was certified by the Canadian Lifesaving Society (lifeguard equivalent, includes CPR), and it, too, is expired. I also volunteered years ago in an ER and have had the opportunity to perform CPR on a real person. But I digress.

Is an online CPR refresher/certification OK for SSI DiveCon requirements? I see several online choices, and each follows Red Cross and AHA standards, but none of them are really "Amercian Red Cross CPR certification". I really do not want to spend a whole day in another Red Cross course. (If I have a whole day free, I'd rather go diving!)

Obviously, the goal here is to obtain useful lifesaving skills. For me, I see no distinction between an online refresher and an in-classroom course, given my prior experience.

Comments?

id recommend the hands on class. AHA has changed some of the guidelines recently and i feel you would benefit from the class.

im a full time fireman and we have to recert all the time and we are pretty familar with cpr

brett

I guess you would use the mouse as the practice dummy and compress one of the mouse keys?

Mousy, Mousy are you ok? Look at for a rise on the mouse, listen to the mouse sending bytes, feel the escape key for a pulse. No Responce! You! Get on Skype and dial 911 even though 911 will not work on Skype! Beging CPR 1 Click and 2 click and 3 click and 4 click and 5 click.

The Red Cross online courses are a combination of reading course materials, watching video demonstrations, and taking quizzes on the internet with a hands-on skill session at a Red Cross facility or classroom with dummies (and Respiration Annie dolls :D).
As long as you take the online portion seriously there is no real difference between this and sitting in a class watching demonstrations.

That being said, if there is not a hands-on session with the course you are looking at I don't think it would be worth much.

Last edited:
You need to take the class in person in order to have any chance of giving good CPR. It's not a skill that can be learned unless it's hands-on.

Unfortunately, no one has been able to answer my question. Namely: does SSI require Red Cross certification, or is an online agency accepted by SSI? (Although rye_a's response was VERY helpful. I'll go that route -- didn't realize Red Cross did online blended courses.) Thanks for the comments, though.

For my next topic, I will propose logging Wii Endless Ocean dives for my DiveCon dive requirements!

For my next topic, I will propose logging Wii Endless Ocean dives for my DiveCon dive requirements!

Yeah, but if you rub the fish in real life like you do in the game BAD things might happen...

Regardless of whether or not SSI will accept the online cert, I would highly recommend taking a real class for several reasons:

1) As a dive con you are a dive professional, which means are may also be held liable as a professional. If you have to administer CPR and the patient dies, think of what a liability lawyer could do to your credibility if he finds out you learned CPR on-line. Your liability insurance provider may have a POV on this as well.
2) As a professional, your clients will depend on you to have the training and qualifications needed to serve in the capacity for which you are hired. Most people would expect that you are current in your CPR training and can perform CPR if needed. What would your client think if they knew you had an on-line cert? What would your dive shop/ boat/ op think of this as it will impact their reputation?
3) As a professional you should hold yourself to a higher standard. Up and coming divers will look to you as a role model and for advice. If they see you cutting corners, they may be compelled to do the same.

Ok, off my soap box. Just something to think about when you are making these kinds of decisions.

Too bad I can't get a combo PADI Air2 Pony CPR course online -- that'd REALLY start the flames!

Hey guys, relax. I've decided to take the Red Cross blended online CPR course. Study online, take the exam online, and then get checked out by a Red Cross instructor, rescue a few CPR dummies (I like the "Mr. Baby" model), do the AED thing, etc. It's all good. Time to move along.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom