Online E-learning "Dive Theory" Dive Master Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is that one of those "trick" PADI questions?

Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm currently working on the same thing, to lighten up the DMT workload in March.

But i'll be the first in the diveshop to do so, and we're not exactly sure how it works.

I finished the "divemaster online" course, and have started on the "dive theory online", getting 88% on the first (dive physics assessment).

But I'm not sure is what I'll still have to do during the DMT theory-wise.

I've found the following: "candidates participating in the new Divemaster program (released at DEMA 2010) who successfully complete Dive Theory online may receive credit for “Part II” the Dive Theory section of the new exam (version 3.0)"

Does this really mean that I won't be facing a theory exam and can focus on the other more practical aspects of the training?(which was kind of the point of doing these two courses online in the first place)

thanks a bunch
ben

correct. you take the part 1 test whcih is based on standards, etc.

Thanks Mike, that's really good news!

Ben
good luck!

Ok, done! phew -

Found a little mistake in the questions btw, in the decompression theory section, question 11, a single answer question which contradicts the answer, found in slide number 49 out of 101 of the Dive Theory Online course... Should be a "choose all that applies" instead - I guess we're not supposed to discuss test questions in the open but this question (or the course material) really needs to be revised I think.

Dive Physics - 88% (maths... )
Dive Physiology - 100%
Dive Equipment - 98% (misread a question :( )
Decompression Theory & Recreational Dive Planner - 100%
Diving Enviroment - 100%
Dive Skills - 100%
-
So now that this is out of the way , I have to pass part 1 of the exam on standards. I'd like to prepare this or rather keep it fresh (since this is covered in the Divemaster online course which I also did) -

This is a little off topic, but would anyone know what chapters of the divemaster handbook I should focus for Part 1 of the DM exam? I'll be taking it in 2.5 months. i've read that you can have the instructor manual handy for this exam, but I'm not too sure what to focus on.

thanks a bunch
ben

Oh thanks everyone for clearing up the question about whether the Dive Theory e-learning course has a final assessment. I was a little nervous about that, especially since I had to take the dive physics section assessment twice. So relieved that it's a single question! I do assume, though, that there are some dive theory questions on the Dive Master final assessment.

Oh thanks everyone for clearing up the question about whether the Dive Theory e-learning course has a final assessment. I was a little nervous about that, especially since I had to take the dive physics section assessment twice. So relieved that it's a single question! I do assume, though, that there are some dive theory questions on the Dive Master final assessment.

DM Exam pt.1 covers the first seven chapters in the DM Manual (or first seven sections of eLearning)
DM Exam pt.2 covers the last two chapters in the DM Manual (or last two sections of eLearning)

If you have done 'Dive Theory Online' you are not required to be tested on this again, but will still need to pass DM Exam pt.1.

DM Exam part 1 covers things like roles & characteristics of a DM, role-modelling, acting as an assistant, DM conducted programmes (ReActivate, Skin Diver Course, Discover Local Diving, and DSD).

So now that this is out of the way , I have to pass part 1 of the exam on standards. i've read that you can have the instructor manual handy for this exam, but I'm not too sure what to focus on.

thanks a bunch
ben

The KEY to passing standards is to have the Instructor Manual (and the Guide To Teaching if allowed for DM - I'm translating from the IDC) open on your computer! This is allowed, as long as you're in airplane mode, and no other programs are open.
Standards is an "Open Book" test. They want to know if you know how to problem solve, based upon PADI's way of doing things. Yes, you can leaf through the book and find the right section(s), but it's MUCH faster to learn key words/phrases (like "Ratios") and then do a word search to zoom you to the exact section to check for the answer. You need to know what a DM can teach independently - that is the only "trick" question that I can recall, and you need to read the wording of the question EXACTLY.
But the essence of ace'ing Standards is doing word searches on the computer.
Know that General Standards trumps individual course standards. Re-read Paperwork and Administrative Procedures a dozen times.
Then figure out what key phrase is the essence of the question and find it in the manual.

Back
Top Bottom