Online Nitrox and SDA??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is what they said about their nitrox card:

http://www.divesda.com/Nitroxfaq.html

Do you issue scuba certification cards for Nitrox without scuba dives?
Yes! Upon completion, fill out the proper paperwork and we will issue a Nitrox Scuba Certification card valid at any scuba facility worldwide.
The quality of this course is superior! It's a good course! We believe that the responsibility for analyzing the oxygen content of the scuba cylinder is the responsibility of the diver, not the instructor or dive shop that conducts the dives.

We had a thread on these guys a while ago in relation to the open water course they do. I can't find the thread, and my feeble memory is no doubt short on a few details.

I still can't find the thread, but I believe I misidentified the organization. I think it was this one:

SCUBA-Training.net

The online nitrox card does not bother me as much as the online scuba diving course. It is obviously misleading to believe that their "universal" referral system will bypass a student's requirement to undergo standard online or in class work prior to completing an OW class.

Certainly, by having to repeat it again, one will be a better diver. But to suggests that the shops that they list on their recommended dive facilities will accept their online program is misleading the student that they have a "universal" referral system for their "graduates".

I really don't believe that a worldwide scuba refferal would work, I don't think PADI accepts any other agencies referrals. I can't defend or really comment on the online ow course, since I never took it.

I'm going to work on getting someone from SDA to come on the site and answer some questions.
Posted via Mobile Device

From my understanding, only instructors participating in the RTSC program can complete OW dives of students using the universal referral system.

Second, the student must have completed the confined water, and classroom instruction from an approved RTSC program (SSI, Naui, YMCA - but NOT PADI). Then they simply complete the OW dives with the RTSC instructor. SDA online instruction does not include the confined water training.

As of now, PADI instructor can be an RTSC instructor. However, students completing a PADI confined water training CAN NOT go to an RTSC instructor to complete his PADI OW requirements. Kinda funny, a PADI isntructor can be RTSC instructor, yet a PADI OW student can not complete his OW dives through an RTSC instructor (unless he is also a PADI instructor).

My understanding is that SDA is ran by a NAUI shop. I am not sure if this qualifies the online training by the SDA folks would pass for NAUI's in class training?? You still have to complete the confined water dives.... I don't think they made it very clear in their website. It is alot of fluff that makes the student feel like you can walk into any resort, and say, give me pool dives, give me OW dives, and I am all set to go.

SDA used to advertise on scubaboard. With all the negative publicity here, I am doubtful if they will continue??

SDA used to advertise on scubaboard. With all the negative publicity here, I am doubtful if they will continue??
:confused: There are at least two SDAs

I remember seeing their ad running on top of the scubaboard banner in the past. As I recall, it was a girl with big boobs and scubagear climbing up a ladder.

As it was discussed in the past, at least 2 other scuba organizations use the term SDA. I belive one is the Sydney diver association which is SSI affiliated.

I doubt that that Wales organization often gets confused with this one. Looks like a fine agency.
I remember seeing their ad running on top of the scubaboard banner in the past. As I recall, it was a girl with big boobs and scubagear climbing up a ladder.

As it was discussed in the past, at least 2 other scuba organizations use the term SDA. I belive one is the Sydney diver association which is SSI affiliated.
This one...?

faq_2.jpg

Mask on forehead while climbing out of water of course. That's from their farce of a site where they also offer online OW courses with referrals to any instrutor in the world: Scuba Divers of America - SDA Scuba Certification Agency

I still get a laugh from this post on page 1...
Geez... All you have to do is say, I promise not to go below 100 ft, and will program my computer to 32% oxygen.... Why should anyone care what card you carry?

How many nitrox users actually test their gas??
:lol:​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom