Online Nitrox and SDA??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I get 40 minutes from from an 80 of regular air, how will I benefit from using Nitrox if I only do one or two dives a day to 60 and 40 feet?
The benefits will be negligible at best.

What?

So the silliness continues... :dunce:

A little history on me....
Oh, TY, and TY for completing your profile as it does help in discussions. It's a given that you have no scuba history really. No argument there.
A search is exactly what I did, and this is what I turned up.
It's right there in black and white.
NAUI isn't part of RSTC.
Are they?
Yes, they are members of WRSTC. I missed them when I looked before, but they're listed in Japan anyway.

Yes, there are several generally recognized agencies who are not members of the WRSTC but a discussion of that has only a confusing presence here.
What I think he meant by saying that he needs to do 5 or 6 dives a day in order to utilize nitrox better is him saying in order to get the long NDL he needs to conserve his air better.
If I get 40 minutes from from an 80 of regular air, how will I benefit from using Nitrox if I only do one or two dives a day to 60 and 40 feet?
The benefits will be negligible at best.
None, but who cares?:shakehead: It does not take 5 or more dives a day to benefit by any means; the benefits are immediate on some dives, cumulative on other some combinations, but that's not even close to the point here, that being two part I think...
  1. Is the course a good one that meets the diving and safety needs? A: It seems to be well plagiarized altho I have not had time to review the materials in the link received, we have very little information given here on it - none by experienced Nitrox divers that I recall from this thread, but we seem to have a site that lists deceptive and false claims about their affiliates and suggests an absurd MOD of 1.2 ppo.
  2. Is the agency card generally recognized and accepted by
    operators? A: Who knows?

You guys spent your money and got your cards; your choice and good for you. I would certainly not recommend this agency & course to anyone who wanted to actually dive Nitrox in multi-day dive plans that indicated the use nor to anyone who wanted to really learn or to have the card easily respected - but it's your/their money & time. It might be prudent to ask before booking a liveaboard or other operation where Nitrox will be commonly used as it is a problem to be the only one on a boat not diving Nitrox at times, but good luck. :thumb:

soph·o·mor·ic
PRONUNCIATION: sf-môrk, -mr-, -mr-
ADJECTIVE: 1. Of or characteristic of a sophomore. 2. Exhibiting great immaturity and lack of judgment: sophomoric behavior.

Last edited:
I give up...I tried to do the right thing by some of my fellow divers but it just seems my point keeps getting mixed in with others points of views.

I had taken PADIs course and SDA, Is there a major difference, NO. For the same price and convinence would I have done PADI over SDA, maybe. Do I think I'm going to die using what I have learned from SDA...no.

Do I agree that MKsmith should do more dives and continue to study, and talk to as many experinced divers he can about everything, absolutely.

My nitrox course was a the PADI course before they dropped the dive requirements. It was actually a good course and went beyond the little booklet they use with it. I rarely dive nitrox now. If I'm doing anything other than air it's got helium in the mix. Cost is not a factor. My air, and nitrox if I choose to use it, are shop perks. I used to use it for checkouts with large classes where we had to split up the groups. Those days I'd do 6,8, even 10 dives in a day. Short, shallow, but they add up.

Nitrox paid off there because when you are diving that much and BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE DIFFERENT saying the air tables are so safe you don't need the added safety factor is big bull caca. Anyone can get bent. If you even read the tables there's a little disclaimer that says something like "these are not guaranteed to keep you safe".

The risk of DCS is so low on air tables that the extra margin is a waste of money? By whose definition is that statement made? Any diver who chooses to add an extra margin of safety to his/her profile is in no way wasting money. By this standard using a 5 mil instead of a 3 because a person gets cold easily is a waste of money, right? And what factors do you take into consideration concerning a particular diver to say to him/her you are wasting money. Age, sex, weight, existing medical conditions, do you have access to their bank account as well so you can do a financial analysis of their diving habits. Go read some DAN accident reports before you make a blanket statement like that. For many people, I will not even say most, the tables are safe. But what about the guy who may be a little dehydrated and not realize it who using the air tables pushes them a little. Still within NDL's but the dehydration, physical condtion, water temps, etc may put him into the area where the air tables are not safe enough. For a DM to make that kind of statement to a newdiver is distressing to say the least.

I do not teach nitrox as the YMCA no longer offers it. I refer people to the NAUI instructor at our shop who requires students to analyze, observe the blending process, and dive with the gas. Just how does the SDA teach you to use an analyzer and which one? When do you analyze your gas? What happens if it's not where it should be? Do you get a new fill or adjust to the new percentage? Whose tables do you use for calculating your NDL's and what algorithm are they based on?

Personally I use my comp when diving nitrox which is based on DSAT tables(PADI). Therefore I use my PADI tables as backup. It's been well over a year since I used it though. Just has not been necessary as since getting some technical training I don't mind going into a little deco. For this I use V-Planner. If Ithink I'm going to be pushing my NDL's at all even on air I'll generate a deco schedule and keep it in my wetnotes and on the wrist slate. Diving air tables is not safe. It is SAFER than diving with nothing but it is no guarantee of avoiding DCS. And then whose air tables? PADI's, NAUI's, YMCA's, or how about the Navy tables that are based on years of research and experience with young fit men? This middle aged guy with w/little extra weight and who used to smoke and has a little tough of arthritis in my hands does not feel comfy pushing the Navy tables. If I thought I'd be doing that and not want to do deco for whatever reason I'd use Nitrox.

One other question. Is the SDA approved by VirtualDiveCenter.net.com.poopoo and are they paying them their on line royalties. If not they in trouble!

Air tables have a proven record, has anyone ever gotten bent by following them yes. But the point I was trying to make was that using nitrox to give yourself a larger margin of safety when the risk is relatively low, I feel that its better money spent using the nitrox to its own table.

I will say this again, I did not take this class because I refused to go to my LDS and take the class, I did it to try it out for myself. You can't comment on something you have no idea about. I could never say a word about NAUI or TDI classes, since I had never taken them. So I couldn't comment on SDA class until I took it. It was easy to take online, Im a fan, even in college I liked taking the online classes. It doesn't make them any worse or better just different.

Im really done arguing over this. Its pointless to go back and forth over which class is better or my teacher is better then yours...the class is out there, take it if you want, if it turns out my identity gets stolen because of it, I will post my experinces to warn others.

Again, aside from felling better you have extra margin on any decompression problem, which is a statistical phenomena. Hell, on that theoretical basis alone I'd dive Nitrox for anything deeper than 24 FSW.

Diving nitrox on air tables just waste money.

And by the way yes it was covered in the course, very much so in fact.
If it had been properly covered in the course then you would not say things that demonstrate that you did not learn what you need to know.

Point of Information: NAUI Japan, a separate and independent Japanese corporation is a member of the WRSTC. NAUI, an American not-for-profit, mutual benefit corporation is neither a member of the WRSTC nor the RSTC.

I would like to say I ran across SDA online course a couple of years ago when I needed to get a nitrox course done before I made a trip to the Flower Gardens. I called the Spree office to find out if they would accept their certifications. They said they have never heard of them but would research them. After a couple of days they contacted me and said no they wouldn't honor their certifications. Our LDS did a special class for myself and buddy so we would be able to use nitrox on the Spree.

I do feel that I learned what I needed to learn. And personally I feel that I would use nitrox to dive the nitrox table and not use it to dive the air table. I can't justify using the more expensive gas to do a more conservative dive. Will I die? Maybe.

Soonerwink, did they give a reason as to why they wouldn't except the card?

I think even if most dive shops accept SDA's card, two reasons why you should consider another card is:

1. At a cost of $79, a bit more will buy you a standard card with PADI or SSI (I've seen them advertised from $99 to $120).
2. PADI's card can be verified by phone or internet if you forgot it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom