Online Nitrox Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flycaster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
is the certification obtained online honored for fills at all LDS's or do they deny fills based on that credential?

I've read about where some divers who got a "no name brand" cheaper-than-PADI online Nitrox certification were denied Nitrox fills.

The PADI Nitrox course is mostly online, at the completion of the course you go to the LDS that you specified when you signed up for it, and you go there for anything from a 5 minute demo of analyzing a tank to going over a handful of skills questions.

For what that's worth.

Edited to add (after reading the post after mine):

Two divers I know who took the PADI Nitrox course at my recommendation prior to a recent trip we all took, were given a demo of a tank analysis at their local dive shop. There were quizzes and review tests during the online course, but at the LDS, no skills review or questions, definitely no test.

It depends.

Many agencies offer completely legitimate instruction online, after which you go to a shop, take a test, learn how to analyze a tank, and get your perfectly fine certification. No problem.

Then there re is a company called SDA--Scuba Divers of America: Online Nitrox Certification - Scuba

This is a bogus organization run by a guy who was kicked out of NAUI. It's been years since I checked, but when I did, the address of the agency was a vacant lot. If you show that card at a shop that knows this, you will be out of luck. On the other hand, the guy doing the fills might not have any idea it is not a legitimate agency and accept it.

I've read about where some divers who got a "no name brand" cheaper-than-PADI online Nitrox certification were denied Nitrox fills.

The PADI Nitrox course is mostly online, at the completion of the course you go to the LDS that you specified when you signed up for it, and you go there for anything from a 5 minute demo of analyzing a tank to going over a handful of skills questions.

For what that's worth.

Edited to add (after reading the post after mine):

Two divers I know who took the PADI Nitrox course at my recommendation prior to a recent trip we all took, were given a demo of a tank analysis at their local dive shop. There were quizzes and review tests during the online course, but at the LDS, no skills review or questions, definitely no test.
There definitely is a test. If no test then standards were violated and I suggest that your friends do not use nitrox until they complete the quick review test. Student completes online work,prints out completion form. Comes to LDS to complete a 11question test, analyze 2 or more tanks, learns process of logging mix and labeling. We do not charge student for this sevice if they did PADI enriched air course with our LDS listed as facility.

Sounds like I should just take the PADI online course and wrap it up with one of my LDS's.

There definitely is a test. If no test then standards were violated and I suggest that your friends do not use nitrox until they complete the quick review test.

They both completed their certification at different dive shops in two different states. There was no test.

No worries, they dived Nitrox during our recent trip and survived to tell the tale. The truth is, diving Nitrox comes down to 1) analyzing a tank which is easier than reading the time off your watch and 2) knowing the MOD for a given blend.The truth is, when you're boat diving with most Ops, they do all the work anyway and the diver is pretty much just double checking their work and adding their initials to a box on a clipboard that's got the MOD right there.

It's not rocket science.

If I take a TDI online Nitrox Diver class and go to a PADI LDS, will they complete my certification or do I have to search out a TDI instructor to sign off my cert. I'm leaving for CZM on Sunday (if the storm allows it) and want to dive Nitrox on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. I may skip a day and finish on Saturday. Fly on Sunday or Monday. The shop I plan to dive with is a PADI shop. Comments on my success of such a plan is welcomed.
And vice versa - If I take PADI will a TDI instructor sign off on my cert.

Cheers - M²

If I take a TDI online Nitrox Diver class and go to a PADI LDS, will they complete my certification or do I have to search out a TDI instructor to sign off my cert. I'm leaving for CZM on Sunday (if the storm allows it) and want to dive Nitrox on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. I may skip a day and finish on Saturday. Fly on Sunday or Monday. The shop I plan to dive with is a PADI shop. Comments on my success of such a plan is welcomed.
And vice versa - If I take PADI will a TDI instructor sign off on my cert.

Cheers - M²

I'm amazed as a divemaster you don't know the answer to that.

No instructor from another agency can sign off stuff for that agency unless they are also an instructor with that agency as well.

Nitrox taked about two hours to do if you take your time. And about one hour if you don't mess around. I'd just find a random instructor from any agency and get them to do it with me. If someone asked me to do this I'd do it for the cost of fees to the agency plus the cost of the pint or two I drank while we did it. You can analyze the cylinders in my car lol.

Why not take it with your dive op in Cozumel? I did it locally, through a PADI shop, and was not impressed. Paid $200 a picked up a book, more like a magazine, and a DVD. Read over the book and went to the shop for the "class". We went over the review questions at the end of each chapter, took the final test and then graded it. Their analyzer was broken so the main reason to have to go to the shop was a mute point.
Last year during a SI at a beach club in Cozumel two students were sitting with a DM, toes in the sand, going over the Nitrox manual, that's the way I should have done it. Could you do the online course using the dive shop your using in Cozumel's PADI ID and just do it through them? After looking on line the shop I use has it for the same price I paid here but includes a dive.

Why not take it with your dive op in Cozumel? I did it locally, through a PADI shop, and was not impressed. Paid $200 a picked up a book, more like a magazine, and a DVD. Read over the book and went to the shop for the "class". We went over the review questions at the end of each chapter, took the final test and then graded it. Their analyzer was broken so the main reason to have to go to the shop was a mute point.

Complain to PADI. I don't break the rules but I sometimes do wonder why there are some rules. But I wouldn't dream of teaching nitrox without a functioning analyzer. Nor would I dream of diving without one but that is not relevant. It's not like they are rare or even particularly expensive.

You might have gotten a card for your 200 dollars. But you didn't complete the course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom