Online Sales - The importance of buying from local businesses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess we have different levels of "acceptable". When I need service on something, I drop it off on the way to work, and pick it up on the way home.

Terry

I'm glad your shop is on your way to work. Mine is 20 miles out of the way but I couldn't get that kind of service here anyway. And I certainly don't "need" that kind of service therefore am not willing to pay extra for it.

Do you mean because the restaurants (chain store and Ma & Pop) have "Good service, good prices, and good selection happens every day"? What does the limited clientel have to do with it other than the number of shops that can be supported?

There isn't any similarity in the type of product offered, none whatsoever. Again everyone has to eat, they don't have to dive.

There isn't any similarity in the type of product offered, none whatsoever. Again everyone has to eat, they don't have to dive.[/QUOTE

Good pricing, good selection and good service apply no matter what the business. The fact that many LDS do poorly on all counts has nothing to do with what products they sell; it has to do with their poor business model.

I guess we have different levels of "acceptable". When I need service on something, I drop it off on the way to work, and pick it up on the way home.

Terry

Good for you and if you get that kind of service from your LDS then that is great.

However, there are NO LDS in my area that will do a one day turnaround and I'm willing to venture that is the case for most of us. As a matter of fact, you are lucky to get a 5 day turnaround and usually longer for most gear service.

High prices, slow service, poor attitudes and less selection......that is more the norm for a lot of LDS and that is why there are so many of us that have little or no loyalty to them! They haven't earned it.

I have spent a lot of money in various LDSs and also online.

I am always happy to pay for good service and not reward poor service.

For any item I am looking to buy I check prices online (outlets I would actually buy from), add on shipping and handling and then add %15. If the item is at that price locally I will buy without hesitation or quibbling over the price.
If they have what I want but the price is higher than I like I will ask them to do better. I don't expect them to match but at least show some willingness to work with me on it.

Shops with sharp people who are friendly and helpful get more leeway on price.

If they want to, the LDS can always beat online for service. It is a matter of desire and attitude.

Unfortunately, many local scuba stores don't get the opportunity to "establish their business plan"....it is dictated to them by their suppliers.

A small local scuba store has only two choices; accept the business model dictated by the supply and distribution situation presented by the large scuba companies or step outside of that paradigm and do it different. I didn't like the first, so I am doing the latter. Despite not having the money to compete with the big 5 onlines stores in the country, my choice has snatched survival (maybe temporary survival) out of the sharp teeth of bankruptcy.

Now, having the COURAGE to choose a different course is a difficult pill to swallow for most small scuba stores. It requires some business savvy, lots of knowledge about marketing, a new set of technical skills, a dedication to providing superior service in a different way, and some means of procuring the investment necessary to make it happen.

Phil Ellis

ALL lds personnel should be certified in tank Inspection. It is not exactly brain surgery.

For any item I am looking to buy I check prices online (outlets I would actually buy from), add on shipping and handling and then add %15. If the item is at that price locally I will buy without hesitation or quibbling over the price.

That's actually a very generous offer when you consider 15% on a $500 purchase is like writing a $75 charity check to the LDS, who doesn't even deliver your purchase to your front door like the online dealers do. But what's amazing is how many local shops won't even come that close.

That's actually a very generous offer when you consider 15% on a $500 purchase is like writing a $75 charity check to the LDS, who doesn't even deliver your purchase to your front door like the online dealers do. But what's amazing is how many local shops won't even come that close.

You're probably right Phil, but you'd be surprised how many times some aren't given a chance. Yes, I do work parttime for a LDS and I've taught a number of classes where students just show up with full rigs. It's gonna happen. The amazing part was when asked about the purchases the reason for purchasing was amazing. Some of the answers were, "It all came as a package", " They offered more colors to chose from", "your store wasn't open on Sunday when I was surfin online". Probably the one of the best was "it was online so it had to be cheaper". Unfortunately, it wasn't. It just happened that I was able to show them that they had actually spent more money for comparable equipment and then got REALLY ticked when I charged them to assemble everything. Loved that one.

Online is here to stay I'm sure, and as a general rule most LDS's, especially the small Mom & Pops won't be able to give dollar for dollar deals. Most of the time we do try but realize we can't so some try and throw some extras in to get as close as we can. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. But hey, at least give us a chance.

You're probably right Phil, but you'd be surprised how many times some aren't given a chance. Yes, I do work parttime for a LDS and I've taught a number of classes where students just show up with full rigs. It's gonna happen. The amazing part was when asked about the purchases the reason for purchasing was amazing. Some of the answers were, "It all came as a package", " They offered more colors to chose from", "your store wasn't open on Sunday when I was surfin online". Probably the one of the best was "it was online so it had to be cheaper". Unfortunately, it wasn't. It just happened that I was able to show them that they had actually spent more money for comparable equipment and then got REALLY ticked when I charged them to assemble everything. Loved that one.

Online is here to stay I'm sure, and as a general rule most LDS's, especially the small Mom & Pops won't be able to give dollar for dollar deals. Most of the time we do try but realize we can't so some try and throw some extras in to get as close as we can. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. But hey, at least give us a chance.

As surprised at how many time customers are belittled or even ostracized for asking an LDS to compete with one of the omline retailers!!!!

Does your shop do anything to let the customer know that such a chance to compete would be welcome? Or does the customer simply have to take the first step? Unfortunately, any such advertisement would compromise the dip'm and rip'm model that many shops are unable to move away from.

Back
Top Bottom