Online servicing/warranty Qs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juris Diver

Registered
Reaction score
Would you buy a dive computer online?

I think it's a little risky. If the thing doesn't work when you first take it out of the box, you can send it back because most online dive stores will accept faulty merchandise under their return policy, right?

If there's a minor malfunction, would a local dealer fix the problem? If local dealers can't/won't help, do online dive shops do servicing on computers?

In the worst case scenario, you buy online and 3 months down the road the thing goes kaput. Are you screwed because you don't have a manufacturer's warranty (because you bought online)?

Thanks for any input!

Dan :bounce:

You have to figure that, nine times out of ten, the LDS where you purchased a dive computer is unable to service a computer (other than changing the batteries). So the dilemma is warranty coverage. Check & double check the online vendor's warranty policy and get it in writing. Many (most) vendors state that there warranty coverage is void if you purchase through "non authorized" vendors (read: online). That doesn't mean they won't service it, but you'll have to pay.

Alright, cool. Thanks Curly. As long as SOMEBODY will fix it, the $ you save buying online makes it worth it (notwithstanding the arguments for supporting your local LDS).

Here's simplyscuba's reply to my letter asking them to explain their warranty policy. What do you think? Can anyone who's bought from simplyscuba verify this?

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your enquiry.

All of our products come with a full manufacturers warranty meaning that
you can get the equipment serviced or repaired outside of the U.K. as
long as you go to an authorized dealer. If this is difficult for some
reason then you can always send the item back to us and we will get it
sorted this end.

I hope this has answered your question but if you need anything else
please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Chris.

I bought my Suunto Vyper though Simplyscuba. They told me the same thing when I bought it -- it does come with a full warranty.

Here is the issue -- this warranty is provided by Suunto Europe. If you want warranty work done that will be paid for by the mfr., you technically need to send it back to Suunto or simplyscuba in Europe.

In the scenarios you describe above, it the thing goes kaput after a few months of usage, any authorized LDS would work on it for you (or send it to a facility to do the work), they just wouldn't do it for free if the work was covered by warranty.

-LD

I think we need to recognise that there are two types of online purchasing. The first is where the online trader has no visible trade presence and where the goods purchased are sent to you direct from the stockholder. The second and far more common at least in the UK is where an LDS also has an internet presence through which you can purchase. In the second case buying online has no more risk than buying locally other than the cost of returning the goods to them. As far as I know Simplyscuba also operate as an LDS. I bought my dive computer technically online but the trader was an LDS.

I just got more clarification from simplyscuba. They said they have their OWN worldwide warranty and if a local dealer won't fix what's broke, you can send whatever it is back to them in the UK and they'll fix it.

Seems pretty reasonable. Although, I assume that if your computer broke and all you've got is the manufacturer's UK warranty and simplyscuba's worldwide warranty, you're still gonna have problems getting your LDS in the U.S. to repair it under one of those warranties.

The result: If something goes wrong, you ship it back to simplyscuba, pay the shipping costs (both ways), and wait for a repair.

Not such a big problem and with the initial cost savings, the threat of MAYBE someday having to pay $50 bucks more or less to ship and get the thing repaired isn't too bad. Although, I would check with your LDS to see if the cost to repair outside warranty is less than the shipping charge you'd have to pay to send it to simplyscuba.

:devious: :idea:

Back
Top Bottom