Ontario Dive Sites - Misc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aside from Tobey., I haven't dove any other sites in the area. When I get a chance I'll look into the site about the Northwind. My dive buddy knows that area a lot better than me (originally from Manitoulin) - I'll ask him a little later and let you know if he can dig up some info on the area.

SS

check back on my previous posts.

There's a Burleigh map to the the area and a closeup map called Burleighclosueup of the dive site you can down load.

Max depth is 65 feet. Average about 40. Water temp. 64°F
Lots of fish right now, good visibility, acceptable current
There are divers there most week ends.
If the curent looks too stiff, move to the south bay (see map)

regards

Mike D

Originally posted by diver gadget
I was Just looking at a map and Clapperton Island is much closer to Manitoulin Island. Maybe I should look there instead of the Northern Shore of the North Channel.

The Sudbury Dive shop (out of business for a couple of years now) used to have a charter boat in Little Current most of the time. I don't know if there is anything there now. Water Ways is the only dive shop left in Sudbury now I believe.

I was on Manitoulin on the May 24 weekend. The guy who owns the marine shop at the docks in Gore Bay is supposed to be opening a dive shop in June. I saw his compressor and cascade bottles when I visited but he had no gear in at that point.

http://www.cycnorth.com/chandlery.html

There is also a fill station and gear rental at the general store (Meldrum Bay outfitters?) in Meldrum Bay. Been open a couple of years now at least. http://boatingontheweb.com/north_channel/meldrum_bay.htm

Maybe if you call one of these 3 guys they can put you onto a charter boat. Gore Bay is not far from Clapperton.

Goldminer: I was on the site that you posted, I called up the people there at CYC and they only wanted to rent boats for a week. I guess you didn't get a card or number for the guy setting up the scuba shop??

I was in the shop pictured on the CYC website. The photos actually show where the compressor is currently set up. The girl behind the counter didn't know anything about what was going to happen re: the new business but the signs for the new dive shop business were leaning against the counter (the one in the first photo on the website, beside the woman on the left standing in the background) as we spoke. She said the owner was out at the time and she could not answer any questions but invited me to look at the compressor. I did not get a card.

CYC only rents yachts. I have no reason to believe that they run a dive charter business. However. if there is a dive charter currently running on the island I would have thought that anyone going into the dive shop business would know who it was.

I would suggest talking to the CYC store owner/manager. The sales clerks I talked to knew absolutely nothing (which was a bit surprising given that the compressor was already there and the dive shop signs were standing within 3 feet of her). She was probably just a student employee. Sorry I couldn't help more.

By the way. There are a large number of salmon charter boats on the island. Maybe one of them could take out a small group of divers. Boating to the northwind is apparently easy. I have freind who did it 2 years ago. He said there is a buoy to tie off to and a line down to the wreck. I can't confirm this personally though and don't know if the buoy is till maintained.

Also you can access some of these wrecks, including the northwind, from Killarney where there is a dive shop. http://www.sportsmansinn.ca/scuba.html
and charter boats are available.

I called the CYC up again and got a number of someone up there who does air fills in gore bay. He told me he dosn't do charters or run boats but there is a guy in meldrom bay. I called up a guy there and he says he runs charters but not to the Northwind as it is about a 4 hour boat ride from his place.

He gave me the name aof a guy who they use sometimes out of little curent and I have left a message with him now. Wow all this trouble to dive a wreck!! Maybe it's time for me to buy a boat and do it myself!!

[/QUOTE]He gave me the name aof a guy who they use sometimes out of little curent and I have left a message with him now. Wow all this trouble to dive a wreck!! Maybe it's time for me to buy a boat and do it myself!! [/B][/QUOTE]

my friends all told me to buy ALL my toys before I got married..........

Let me know how that works out for you....

SS

I'm coming up from the States to visit relatives in Ottawa (Kanata really) in July. Can anyone give me a clue about dive sites near enough to merit a visit?

I'm a recently qualified PADI AOW diver and would be able to bring all my own gear - God bless minivans!

MN

Site around here....

Other than the quarry which is 20min away, most of our sites are along the St Lawrence which are about 1 - 1.5 hrs away. We have shore dives: Connie, Rothesay, Lock 28. Of course we have charters out of Brockville to visit an number wrecks there.

Most of the sites are AOW - so you qualify... when you coming? Like a need excuse to dive :tease:, but I could head out with you - if you need a buddy.

Hi Divegal:

I'm new to diving and live in Ottawa. I was wondering have you ever done any diving in the Ottawa River? I saw in Chris Kohl's (spelling?) book about Ontario dive sites a mention of diving sites in the river. Do you know anything about these?
Unfortunately, with the recent, sad accident of "ladyduck" maybe there will be a new site to visit. I don't know what the whole story is on that one. Very sad though - I feel even more upset when children die.

Back
Top Bottom