OOA... Never Assume Reason

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My SPG has been sticking at about 1000 psi lately. Two dives ago it suddenly dropped from there to 600 psi in seconds. I'm beginning to think I need redundancy in SPGs as well as dive computers, etc.

... replace it, maybe?

good work..he will dive another day due to you...thanks for sharing.

I made a thread in this forum about an OOA that happened to me at the very end of a dive ( I was at 15 feet so no big deal).

After some deduction from folks here, it pointed to a sticky SPG. So I tested by purging, and it stuck for a bit, but then clicked over about 300-400 psi. So I got a new SPG.

In my particular instance, with such a slight sticking in the SPG, unless you were constantly looking at it, it would be possible to miss the problem. But since it was only a slight sticking, it would only matter if the absolute right circumstances happened (Which they did with me - it was probably stuck right as I looked at it, before I chased someone down and started ascending, and I complacently stopped checking as I thought I had plenty of air to complete a safety stop).

Sounds like this guy had a SPG in much worse shape than mine, and didn't really calibrate what his SPG said with what his gas usage should be.

My SPG has been sticking at about 1000 psi lately. Two dives ago it suddenly dropped from there to 600 psi in seconds. I'm beginning to think I need redundancy in SPGs as well as dive computers, etc.

I think you need a new SPG. Two SPGs, one of which is faulty, is not redundancy. It is one functioning SPG.

I just dive a rebreather. I don’t need to check no stinkin pressure guages.

Ugh! Now I have another thing I have to add to my pre-dive checklist. "SPG smoothly moves on pressurization and depressurization"

Seriously, thanks for sharing. Glad your dive rescue went OK.

SPGs are not that expensive. I would replace mine immediately if it started doing anything unusual.

Maybe my Calypso J first stage will make a come back. It does have an HP port for an SPG and the J valve will be the backup for a gauge failure.

Ugh! Now I have another thing I have to add to my pre-dive checklist. "SPG smoothly moves on pressurization and depressurization"

Seriously, thanks for sharing. Glad your dive rescue went OK.

SPGs are not that expensive. I would replace mine immediately if it started doing anything unusual.

Maybe my Calypso J first stage will make a come back. It does have an HP port for an SPG and the J valve will be the backup for a gauge failure.

I use a CalypsoJ on my pony, the button SPG's are good for full or empty but, I'll know I'm close to empty when the J valve kicks in, at the point there is about 3CUFT of air left.
I've been thru 3 SPG's during 50 years and <2000 dives. I just picked up a spare SPG from Ebay as part of a console I bought for the LS-1 compass.
I use a watch and a depth gage as a backup "SPG".

This is where the integrated SPG shine, when they don't work the screen goes blank and you know it, no guessing is it stuck? No it's broken.

You know its broken but still dive it?

If you cant maintain one SPG what makes you think you can maintain two?

No, I replaced it after the second fail. As for maintenance, I'm not aware of any regular maintenance for an SPG. Enlighten me.

After 56 years of diving, I know my profiles and my gas consumption and was not worried about the sticking SPG during the two dives as I was at 15-20 fsw during the last 15 minutes of each dive.

Learnt about this the hard way as a new diver!! Now as an Instructor I teach the students on all courses to finish off their gear checks by closing the tank...look at the preasure gauge as they purge one of the regs....the needle should reach zero smoothly....if it stops you know it will also when you are diving. Time for a new one.

Back
Top Bottom