• never

Votes: 91 67.4%
  • it will never hapen to me

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • i always push my luck

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ebbtide

Reaction score
I wish i could say it has never happened to me but it has .
i was at 50 ft and picking sea urchins knowing that i was below 400 psi i contuned to work , i got greedy and well the rest you know .
now in my mind there is no need for an OOA situation it is foolish and stupid greed can kill and so can not payning attention,
if it has happened to you then you know that feeling when there is no buddy in sight and the surface of the water is oh so close but oh so far away meny things go through your mind in the matter of seconds and what went through my mind was that will NEVER happen agin!
please learn from my stupid mistake and dont let it happen to you. check the gauge more often it isnt that mutch of a pain really . needless to say i am still here and a little less greedy. but it could have been worse. question is has it ever happened to you ?

I've never been OOA, and never even close. Closest was out hunting for crayfish, and as I had more tussles with them than my buddy did, I was going through my air a lot quicker than he was.

I always try finish my dives with as close to 50 bar (750psi) as possible, but on this dive I started my stop with just under 40 bar (550psi).

Hopefully this will be closest I ever come to being OOA, but I will never say never...

I voted (yes I actually did, first time I've managed that in a long time!) a couple of time but (touch wood) so far never the one OOA but I have been called on a few times as a doner - once twice in the same week by the same instructor when we were buddies on holiday....

Jonathan

For our next story we step back in time to the early SOB days.

We had anchored on a boulder patch. The danforth was modest but the rest of the ground tackle was truly excessive for the 25 foot dive boat…25’of 3/8” galvanized chain and ¾” nylon braided rode. Needless to say… the anchor itself never saw a day of honest work with that much weight in chain.

Surface chop and current were modest as well and we intended to each kill our limit of fish, as far apart from one another as possible.

Such was the competitive nature of our diving at the time. We were of course well equipped to dive without a buddy near by… we had Spare Air!

My *buddy’s* Spare Air was an older model with a thumb wheel that he needed to turn on to get air…. I however had the latest in diver safety: my Spare Air had a little lever that only needed to be flipped up to instantly provide air to spare.

Having splashed in at about the same time we immediately parted company and went about the business of spearing the biggest, the best and the most.

Having much better air consumption than my *buddy* I knew that the task of relieving the anchor from the boulders would fall to me since he would be back on the boat by then.

As the SPG ran down to 500 psi I headed back toward the anchor line and fortunately found it rather quickly given the limited viz.

Just then I saw the biggest~n~best… and had to add it to my stringer. The stringing took longer that the spearing as the biggest~n~best was not cooperating. Evidentially it did not realize that a paralyzer tip in the brain was supposed to produce compliance.

Down to 300 psi now but in possession of the trophies to prove my prowess I proceeded to the task at hand.

The boulder pile was rather large and had 25’ of 3/8” chain draped across it. No good just moving the anchor… the chain was the issue and it needed to be moved out into the sand clear of entanglement… up current/up wind… which of course meant across the largest portion of the boulder pile.

So I set about moving, untangling, dragging, hauling & hoisting all this chain up and over the boulder pile while huffing, puffing, moaning and groaning until I had it all just about clear… and suddenly it was like sucking air through a straw… a small straw… one of those coffee stirrer straws.

Well I only had a few more feet to go. And it was only 70 feet deep. And we didn’t have any more tanks on board. And I wasn’t about to cut my beautiful ¾” nylon braid and leave my chain lying on the bottom. And I did, after all, have SPARE AIR!

This assessment took only micro-seconds… and so armed with the reassurance that comes from not having drowned before I proceeded to hump the last bit of chain off the boulder pile while sucking as hard as I could to pull a vacuum on my AL80.

One final heave and the chain was clear and the Spare Air was retrieved. I took the now useless regulator out of my mouth, flipped the little lever on the Spare Air and…

Nothing happened.

No air… nada… zip… zilch… nothing… flip flip flip …OK... I haven’t had a breath for a while now… I’ve been working hard and the Spare Air doesn’t have any spare air.

Only one thing to do... no, not release the weight belt... I wasn't about to leave 40# of good lead behind... I swam as hard as I could straight up.

Obviously I was able to make an ESA but confess that I did not blow out tiny bubbles on the way up… I didn’t have any to blow. Fortunately I did try my regulator again and was able to squeak a tiny bit o air off of it at about 30fsw… that was enough to get me the rest of the way.

Moral: sometimes you can have too much chain and too little air.

So… I downsized in the chain department… got rid of the spare death… and decided not to cut things quite so close in the future.

Hey... do you suppose Spare Air would use my story in one of their advertisements??

I had a buddy go OOA on me a few weeks ago. It was a shore dive and we were on the way back in about 40'. I had never dove with this guy before, but, he was a 'locally well known" diver, had a buch of tech gear - although he had switched to a single tank for today. I could tell he was out shape and he told me on the entry this was his first dive in a while.

Well, I think he was too embarrassed to tlel he was low on air and tried to strech it to make it back in then all of sudden was sucking his tank dry. Of course, without a signal he yanks my reg out of mouth, luckly for me I have a 7' hose so it was no big deal and we surfaced without incident. But, the bottom line, is this stuff does happen that's why you need to practice for it.

I musta hit the wrong box.....

I have an OOA on almost every dive.... sometimes twice!

... and so does my buddy.... and ya just never know when!! Once, we both did it at the same time... that was worth a burst of bubbles and a grin!!

Practice makes permanent...

wb

I started my Open water certification while on vacation in Mexico but got a sinus infection and had to get a referral to do my last two check out dives at home. (I am Bass Ackwards)
Six months later I am at a quarry and my instructor sees something he doesn't like during the buddy check. I thought the handle "strap" on the back of the BC was a positioning strap. We pulled the BC off the tank and started over again. Just before my giant stride the Instructor reminded me to push the button on my computer and asked what my psi was. After my 2960 response he told me to add a little air to the bc and give him a good giant stride. Psst..Psst..Psst..SPLASH. The third thing to come out of my mouth were the words" That will never EVER happen again". The first thing was my second stage and the second was a four letter word.
The instructor pleaded with me to never tell a sole that he allowed me to jump in with my tank turned off. When I told him how foolish I felt.. he responded. " Yea, Well wait until the day you jump in without your weights. It happens to most people sooner or later."

Uncle Pug... We all LOVE to hear (read) your stories and the way you tell them. As a matter of fact I imagine you with the voice of this story teller on a Public Radio Show that comes out of Minnesota on saturday nights.
BUT..... I am sorry to inform you that you are starting to show the symptoms age. Like my father you are repeating the same story to cover multiple topics. I believe your earlier post was nearly a cut and paste of one of your boat stories. #2 or #4 or something.
Nahhhh...just ribbing ya...keep the stories coming.
I just realized I was becoming my father when the kids told me it costs $8.50 for a movie ticket and I yelled out: " I REMEMBER WHEN I could get into the movies for 25¢."

Dectek once bubbled...
you are repeating the same story to cover multiple topics. I believe your earlier post was nearly a cut and paste of one of your boat stories. #2 or #4 or something.
I'm gettin' lazyfinger.
That's why my subject line was:
reprint of Anchored Boat Story #4

I figured the folks who had already read it would skip over it
while the new folks on the board would get a chance to read it.
We've probably grown 2000 members since then.

BTW: This story covers the Spare Air quite well too so don't be surprised if I reprint it should that subject appear again. :D

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
I'm gettin' lazyfinger.
That's why my subject line was:
reprint of Anchored Boat Story #4

Note to self: Read Everything before opening mouth.
Nothing like stating the obvious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom