Open-Ended Bans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowviz

Solo Diver
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Are arbitrary (open-ended) bans a new policy on ScubaBoard?

Due to her transgressions, a friend of mine was denied service following her posts on/around May 9th. Fine, she brought it on herself and I don’t have all the facts. The elephant in the room is that the denial of service was (and still is) being done without any notification as to its duration. Only the reason for the ban was given.

She is a very social person and it is easy to see the effect this is having on her: A day? No, still blocked. A week then? No. Couldn’t be more than a month could it? No, a month passed. Wow! A year? A permaban? Or is it over when the mods feel that she has stewed enough for her transgressions? Thus, this thread expressing my concern.

Background: I’ve taken my share of reprimands through the years. All admittedly deserved and served up in a most timely fashion and of a severity that always seemed well gauged to the offense. This continual even-handed treatment across many, many mods built a solid sense of fair play when dealing with the “backroom”. Of all the social media that I subscribe to, SB is easily the most well-managed venue. I realize that this is no small task for a dedicated group of volunteer moderators. However, it is important for them to constantly realize how their collective effort “flavors” ScubaBoard for its community at large, both members and visitors.

Speaking to my concern: With the imposition of the seemingly arbitrary ban, the mods appear to be becoming capricious or, possibly even worse, "convenient" in their meting out of justice. I find this rather worrisome.

From the other side of the fence: I have her written account and clear explanation of what happened, but feel that it would be completely inappropriate for me to post or discuss either here. She is currently banned and therefore the decision was made that her defense is not to be seen on SB at this time.

My question is: Are open-ended bans now ScubaBoard policy?

I’ve waited until users are at a minimum to post this thread and immediately reported it so the mods aren’t blind-sided. Fair play all around.

It depends on the use of the word "arbitrary", as to whether any ban fits that description. If protocol has been followed, the reason for the ban has been conveyed to the member, so they know why they were banned. Whether they chose to reveal that, not reveal it or present an alternate explanation is entirely up to them. We won't comment publicly on any specific banning for a few reasons, so you will probably never get to read our side of the story. We're OK with that. Even if they use their banning to disparage us unfairly. Consequently, I am going to present this without referring to any specific banning, but bannings in general.

The ToS is pretty clear about ScubaBoard being a friendly site. If you act in a boorish manner, you'll probably find your account restricted in some manner. That's as it should be. We don't have a double secret probation clause but we do have issues with time. The mod squad is entirely voluntary. They have a finite amount of time to devote to running down the reported posts and such that happen on a daily basis. Some posters push our limits with the various controversies they create either by constantly being reported or by reporting the same issue ad nauseum. It's just not fair if/when we feel we have to assign them their own special mod to follow them around performing various clean up operations. They can also detract from the forum so badly, that others feel inclined to avoid us because of them. While this is not in the ToS specifically, we feel it's so obvious that it just doesn't need to be.

We are also bound by our own personal ethics. I won't protect anyone who is friend and I definitely won't prosecute anyone if they dislike me. This is not "NetDocBoard" and I refuse to treat it that way. In several cases, I simply have to recuse myself due to an apparent conflict of interest. I have at least three friends who have been banned permanently, and while I speak up for them in the back, I refuse to countermand decisions to ban them when the mods make their decision. I actually participate in very few bannings, though I am probably held responsible for the bulk of them. If we meet in person and you've been banned, don't expect me to know the particulars of why that happened.

Finally, if a person (yes, even a friend) feels that their suspension is wrong, please let me know about it. File a grievance/appeal with abuse@ScubaBoard.com. I'm the only one who gets those, and I very rarely get any. We have had mods act improperly in the past and these decisions can be reversed... but only if you let me know about it. If I don't hear from you, I can only assume that you feel the suspension is just.

when we feel we have to assign them their own special mod to follow them around performing various clean up operations.

I envision a special list (I'd call it the parol board), sitting on a desk and when a mod wakes up in the morning, pours his/her coffee, heads over to the desk, picks up the list and mutters to them self, "Alright, What the hell kind of shenanigans are we in for today?" I'd like to see that list to follow those on it for the entertainment value. :D I'm kidding, don't put me on the list... Wait... Am I on the list?

I'm on a few boards. Some are overly moderated, others are nearly self moderating. While I of course don't agree with every moderators decision here on SB, I do like the fact that you guys do different terms of bans, opposed to some boards where people are perma-banned with no other option. Sometimes banning people who were so important to the board that the board actually loses value.

In all fairness, I agree with @lowviz. If you've been convicted of a ToS violation, at least tell the person how long their ban is. @NetDoc You didn't really answer his question. And if there isn't a SB moderator policy of informing someone how long their ban is, I think it should be required.

Last edited:
Abuse@scubaboard.com

Thats the email when you are banned and feel it is unwarranted or some such.

It goes direct to the owner of the board...

Don't ask how I know these things.

Kidding, it's in the FAQ.

I can take a guess at why the ban was a permaban but don't want a bigger target on my back, so I will keep my personal feelings to myself. Wish others could too. (Not at @lowviz)

@LetterBoy, he who lacks empathy living on the edge the Earth with over 25,000 post is surely on "the list". I'm going to follow you. :)
That could end poorly.

Are those on the banning board the same Mods that monitor/observe potential transgressions?

For long term or permanent bans, perhaps an objective group of non-Mod SB members should evaluate the severity of the reported transgression. ( :idk: may already be that way.)

Are those on the banning board the same Mods that monitor/observe potential transgressions?

For long term or permanent bans, perhaps an objective group of non-Mod SB members should evaluate the severity of the reported transgression. ( :idk: may already be that way.)

I say we have a "ban him forum?" and like a true democracy, we all get to vote... Or maybe even a form of SB jury duty. Lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom