Open heel fins - Socks or Booties?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaterMill

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello everyone,

So i will be going on my honeymoon soon to the maldives. I havent really snorkeled for quiet some years but i figured that if i'm going to such a place i might as well to it properly and enjoy the sealife there, and who knows i might even pick up my interest for snorkeling again.
I bought two pair of open heel fins, a pair of long bladed fins size 43-46 and a pair of short bladed fins size 40-43 or something in that area. My feet size is 43.

Now i stumbled upon some small problems. I need socks/boots to wear inside them to become comfortable, epsecially in the long bladed fins. Now my feets are already pretty tight in the short ones, so socks will be the thickest i can wear in those. Will i be fine with just 3mm neoprene socks, or even thin lycra socks? As for the long bladed fins i can use the socks inside some water sandals i bought (low quality crap i got for free with the flippers) and then wear the fins. I tested this with normal socks and it seemed to be tight.

Will the neoprene socks offer enough protection at my open heel to stings and such (last thing i want is step on a stonefish)? Or is it adviced that i turn the short bladed fins back and get the larger size short bladed fins so i can wear the sandals inside? Can post a list of the stuff (and pictures) i got us so far for diving later.

Thanks in advance for any advice given,

Mill

I have always worn boots with my open heel fins. Boots usually have a hard sole which prevents urchin spines, stone fish and coral cuts too your feet. If it is not to late return to your LDS with the fins and try them on with the boots. A good LDS will allow a trade if the fins show no signs of wear. Some people swear by the socks, having never worn them I can't say how good they would be.

If they are so tight that you can't wear booties I think that you may end up getting foot cramps. Plus, if there is any wave action, you will have trouble donning/doffing an extremely tight fin. I would return them for a larger size. Not sloppy but loose enough that they slide on easily with a normal scuba bootie. A bootie will be more comfortable and give protection, both from blisters caused by rubbing of the fins and from sea urchins/corals/rocks, etc. while walking into the water from shore.

Thanks for the tips. Will see if its still possible to turn them back for a bigger pair (44~46). Unfortunately its a online shop so its not really possible for me to fit things. Also the shoes i have are below average quality so i intend to pick up some good booties/shoes later.

Get yourself some dive lycra socks to go in your booties too. This will save you many a bootie blister.

I prefer the boots with my open heel fins as well. Depending on the beach and entry point, I sometimes trek to a dive spot. The boots provide a little more safety to me since my boots cover my ankles and help protect against other dangers as well. Congrats & enjoy the honeymoon!

So i finally got the fins back in size 44-46... Seems like these fins are not made for booties because it'll be a though job fitting inside with booties. But on the other hand i only have the plastic free crap booties, might fit better after i got real ones but plan to buy them once im back in the Netherlands. Chilly, i took your advice and got some lycra dive socks with it, everything seems to be more comfortable with them! :)

Thanks for the update. Don't forget to wash those socks out regularly. They sure can get stinky on a dive trip. :) Oh, and they can be slippery too, so watch yourself on the boat.

Most OH fins are made to wear booties of some sort, it's simply a matter of getting the kind of booties you want to wear, then getting the size fins that work with them. It's trickier getting the fins first, but there is a wide range of booties out there, all different thicknesses. And then you can find some with heavy sneaker type soles and others that have much lighter more flexible soles. So hopefully you could find at least 3mm tropical booties with a light sole that fit. Not sure what you mean by water sandals but usually not the best option unless in a pinch like you are, and I can imagine them making things tight.

Neoprene socks can work too, but won't last long if you walk around much in them, and may not protect you if you actually step on something - though the best solution to that is not to step on things underwater, as it's not good for either of you. :wink:

Normally I'd suggest looking for booties on your vacation, as in a warm diving destination you might have better luck finding lighter booties that you can try on right there, than at home. But I have no idea of the availability of gear like that for sale at the typical Maldives resort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom