Open water and beyond...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been doing some browsing through the boards for some time now and I have a question that maybe one of you could help with. My girlfriend and I will be traveling to Cozumel at the end of April and I would love to empty a few tanks of air while there. I am currently PADI open water certified with plans of obtaining my Advanced c-card by the time of our trip. I know I want to get in a few reef dives but recently I have discovered the Cenotes and other cave type dives. Most ops have a minimum requirement of 20-25 dives with an open water cert. Being from Ohio I haven't had the opportunity to accrue this number of dives. Currently I stand at 4 dives, not including cert dives. I am extremely confident in my abilities as a diver and feel that I would have no problem in the Cenotes environment. So I guess my question would be, could anyone recommend a dive opp in Cozumel that would be willing to asses my abilities while on a couple of reef dives and if they felt comfortable, be willing to accommodate myself on a trip to the Cenotes? My girlfriend is not certified but would be interested in the reef dives. Any help would be appreciated as I have not come across an opp that runs out of Cozumel and does both reef and Cenotes/cavern dives. Thanks in advance!

I do enjoy qarry diving however I was not aware that Gilboa was open during the winter months? That's great news and I'll definitely consider that as an option in gaining further diving experience. Thanks!

Not to be snarky, but.... How can you be "extremely confident" in your abilities as a diver with only four dives under your belt? There are old divers, and bold divers... but... no old, bold divers.

Not to be snarky, but.... How can you be "extremely confident" in your abilities as a diver with only four dives under your belt? There are old divers, and bold divers... but... no old, bold divers.

HA! I believe this comes from my past experience as an Airborne Infantryman, we tend to be a bit cocky at times. With that said and in my extremely limited experience, I have always felt in control while diving. While I understand that SCUBA is not something that can be conquered in a weekend, or even in a lifetime for most, I believe that my ability to preform basic underwater skills such as bouncy control, the regulation of my breathing, and knowledge of my own personal gear allows me to preform at a level that meets or exceeds the standards set by most diving organizations. I'm always open to improving myself and my abilities and right now I feel that I'm in a position to do just that with my upcoming vacation.

Hi Brad,
I am not aware of any companies that operate cenote trips from Cozumel at this time. As such, the idea of assessing your readiness for these dives is not really practical. Any mainland company that is worried about having your readiness assessed will likely not take another shops word for it, and any company that is not worried about an assessment won't require it. Like ours, many shops in Cozumel have affiliations with companies on the mainland, and can help you set up your cenote trip. And I would suggest that an assessment of your skills by the shop in Cozumel would be more useful for you to adequately gauge your own personal readiness. Then, after that conversation, you can easily add a day at the cenotes if you still feel you are comfortable with it.

HA! I believe this comes from my past experience as an Airborne Infantryman, we tend to be a bit cocky at times. With that said and in my extremely limited experience, I have always felt in control while diving. While I understand that SCUBA is not something that can be conquered in a weekend, or even in a lifetime for most, I believe that my ability to preform basic underwater skills such as bouncy control, the regulation of my breathing, and knowledge of my own personal gear allows me to preform at a level that meets or exceeds the standards set by most diving organizations. I'm always open to improving myself and my abilities and right now I feel that I'm in a position to do just that with my upcoming vacation.
I predict that someday you will look back at your todays' self and laugh. :D

"Cocky" can get you killed diving. Plan on just reef diving. I did a dive in Chac Mool cenote last year that would not have been good for many novice divers. Note that Advanced Open Water does not mean that you are an Advanced diver...merely that you made several (five?) more dives. The last two fatalities in Cozumel that I know of were women who got separated from heir buddy(ies). Can you be a mentor buddy to your girlfriend? If she panics and bolts to the surface can you help her, stay with her, etc. If the two of you get separated from the group can you both either find the group or surface, not get hit by a boat, establish buoyancy and wait for a boat to pick you up? Consider a private divemaster for your first day to teach you the ropes about Cozumel diving.

I have seen divers fresh out of Basic Open Water who dive like pro's. They are naturals and are able to go with the flow. Then again, I have had also the opportunity to dive with credentialed DM's and Instructors with reported plenty of experience who should not be in the water. Where you fit the bill, I don't know as I don't know you. However, with 4 non-cert dives under your weight belt, perhaps for this trip, you might consider putting a hold on the idea of cenote diving. To begin, diving in Cozumel is going to be something new to you in a few ways. First you have drift, Secondly, depth that you have to negotiate while drifting in current, Third-environment 4th-Bouyancy in salt water and 5th...you are diving with 4 dives experience. In addition, and overall, giving Cozumel your full attention this trip will most likely be enough to fill your time and interest. Now considering that your GF, who will be with you on her vacation is just starting out as well, and will also be possibly experiencing diving the waters of Cozumel for the first time, I just think holding off on centotes would be a good choice...for at least this trip... Believe me, there is a very strong probability that you WILL be going back so take your time, get the feel of it all, then perhaps take on on cenote dives in the future.

In the words of my Cozumel Divermater, Pedro Pablo, who many here in the Cozumel forum know very well, and who is without a doubt a Divermasters ----Master, "Take it very very slow".

Brad, my comments are just a thought and by no means a put down. I most certainly send to you my very best wishes as you start your diving. Enjoy every moment ! Hope to see you here on the Cozumel forum with your trip review !

Sue

The basic problem is the world's best diver at 4 post-cert dives doesn't know what he doesn't know.

Get more experience, especially with ocean dives. Learn how you deal with unexpected stressors during a dive.

Then, you may consider upping the ante, slowly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom