Open Water Certification Exam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MJ,

I took my PADI OWD final test last night and it was no problem. If you paid attention during your classes and know how to use the RDP, you will do fine. Also, don't forget the back of the RDP contains the general rules and some other important stuff.

-Joe

i would say too -- is the instructor doing the RDP or just computer? mine when i took it went the computer route. i learned tables later on my own :p

I just took the Nitrox exam today - that was tricky, but did well, only one mistake. Full of EAD-table questions. Typical trap that you have to use all tables conservatively (depth has to be rounded always to deeper, etc).

I just took the Nitrox exam today - that was tricky, but did well, only one mistake. Full of EAD-table questions. Typical trap that you have to use all tables conservatively (depth has to be rounded always to deeper, etc).

that shouldn't be a trap, it should be common practice.

The SSI OW Test wasn't bad at all.....the Nitrox one was harder due to the table dives...but doing the book reading and knowing tables makes it a breeze.

Go back over your knowledge reviews, and pay particular attention to any that you missed. The material on the final exam has all been covered in the knowledge reviews and quizzes, and anything you missed should have been discussed by the instructor until you understood why you missed it. If there is an area where you are having particular trouble, it's worth going back and reading that part of the book again, and going through the little text quizzes and the knowledge review to make your brain work through it.

Do recognize that ALL the PADI exams have bad questions on them, where a thoughtful person could very well choose an answer different from PADI's. But you don't have to get 100% on the test, so the one or two that you miss that make you furious won't matter in the long run.

Took the SSI Dive Guide test last week- one question was completely wrong- even according to the manual. Tonight, went through a OW test session and SSI had the same question correct in this exam.

5th Grade?- 4 out of nine didn't get 80%. The Instructor is excellent. Spent an additional hour reviewing missed questions. Now, one was a young girl, and I understand her not getting a full grasp of the concepts- why we spent another hours going through them tonight. Both of us are now wondering about the others....the instructor has been teaching over 30 years, and tonight is as bad as it has ever been. We discussed it after the class, and having taught many years, it is baffling.

By the way, good luck on the exam. With a little conscientous effort, it is not a difficult exam.

If a certification is taken seriously, I am sure, some falls out. But certainly not someone,who got the feeling for diving. Diving is serious business, other people's (buddy's) life depends on the skills of the fresh ow certified diver.
Go back over your knowledge reviews, and pay particular attention to any that you missed. The material on the final exam has all been covered in the knowledge reviews and quizzes, and anything you missed should have been discussed by the instructor until you understood why you missed it. If there is an area where you are having particular trouble, it's worth going back and reading that part of the book again, and going through the little text quizzes and the knowledge review to make your brain work through it.

Do recognize that ALL the PADI exams have bad questions on them, where a thoughtful person could very well choose an answer different from PADI's. But you don't have to get 100% on the test, so the one or two that you miss that make you furious won't matter in the long run.

Took the SSI Dive Guide test last week- one question was completely wrong- even according to the manual. Tonight, went through a OW test session and SSI had the same question correct in this exam.

5th Grade?- 4 out of nine didn't get 80%. The Instructor is excellent. Spent an additional hour reviewing missed questions. Now, one was a young girl, and I understand her not getting a full grasp of the concepts- why we spent another hours going through them tonight. Both of us are now wondering about the others....the instructor has been teaching over 30 years, and tonight is as bad as it has ever been. We discussed it after the class, and having taught many years, it is baffling.

By the way, good luck on the exam. With a little conscientous effort, it is not a difficult exam.

I know PADI doesn't allow for their documents to be copied and distributed, so is there any other way I can study for the exam?

Ever consider actually reading the book?

That might have come off a little sharper than I hoped but there is truth in it. If you read the book, watch the DVD and do the knowledge reviews ... with the intention of retaining the information ... then the final exam will be a formality.

R..

---------- Post added April 26th, 2013 at 03:52 PM ----------

The last person I certified was in fact 10 years old, and he was in the 4th grade.

The shame.....

I can't believe at your level and knowing what you know that you would still agree to train 10 year olds. Seriously send them to the nearest OMG-IMA-LOOZER shop and let some crab brained flunky certify them.... but don't have these kids on your conscience, John.

R..

I took my test just after our last confined water dive. We'd been playing with buoyancy in the pool so much I was a bit motion sick, and trying to read all the little numbers on the RDP is hard when the room won't stop moving up and down. Other than that if you didn't have any trouble with the quizzes, you should cruise the test.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom