Open water certification in the Caribean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jiheme

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there,

Noob here

I'm about to follow the theorical and pratical lessons for scuba diving, near home (QuñÃec, Canada) and I would like to make my certification in the carabiean next summer. Water is a lot warmer around there :wink:

Can it be done? do I need more than a week to do this (usual vacation time)?

My target destination should be Mexico or Dominican Repuplic cause I've seen lot of PADI diving center there.

What kind of fees should I budget for this?

Thank you.

It absolutely can be done, and is frequently done. It's called an Open Water referral, and consists of four dives with an instructor. Usually done in two days. Your instructor in Canada will know all about it, including what paperwork to complete, etc.

Cost will depend on what dive operator you choose, and what is included. For example, shore dives are typically less expensive than boat dives. You might be alone with an instructor, or you might be part of a large class. Will you use your own equipment, or rent theirs? It might be priced as a package, or a la carte. etc.

I've seen prices quoted from under US$200 to over 400. All seemed reasonable when dissected to see what was included.

My wife recently completed her open water and used the referral process. She completed all of her classroom and pool work here in Northern Nevada and it was off to the Florida Keys to complete her certification. It was a very easy process. I would recommend selecting and contacting the dive center you intend on using and establish at least a telephone relationship with them. This way you can confirm what you are going to accomplish, discuss costs, and possibly event talk to the person that will be completing your certification.

My wife and I considered traveling to the Playa Del Carmen area to complete her certification but I decided to take her to Florida to avoid any possible communication / language issues that might have made her uncomfortable or confused the learning process. Making the arrangments in the Keys was an absolute breeze. If you want to consider the Florida Keys let contact me by email, I have the names of several operations I would be comfortable in recommending after such a great experience there.

Good luck and enjoy your dives where ever they are...

WOW !! :D

Thank you very much for your answers.

This makes me feel more comfortable with the process to come.

I will talk to my instructor about the referal porcess for sure.

About the keys, I'm not sure I will be able to convince my wife to switch her favorite destinations, but who knows, it may be possible.
As for the language barrier, it will be the same for me ether in english or in spanish as I am a french canadian :wink:

Once again, thank you very much for your help.
Until then
JM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom