Open Water Certified Today: Now What?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a mentor, that point would come up. I'd also mention the service every 2 years for Hog and that there are dealers nearby ( Jim can't be very far...) that can provide the support for him.

Earlier a Pro criticized a tech diver who 'only dives the quarry and never goes in the ocean'. I want to call FUD on that. I wonder if that person really knows the diver in question and really knows what the divers motivations and diving is. To me it seems more like a case of insecurity and FUD to try to keep the focus on the LDS and to scare new divers from getting advice elsewhere.

I would say the best thing to do before would have been to rent or borrow gear and see what they like. Either way, once you get your gear, go out and dive. Take all opinions with a grain of salt. listen to everything and just enjoy getting in the water.

I can say that going back 12 years ago that my primary focus was to get gear so that I didn't waste money on renting. I think that's the case for the OP also based on what he's written. In reality I still wasted money because I ended up with a bunch of gear that was overpriced and suboptimal for the diving that I was doing.

The problem is without a good mentor it's hard to know what you don't know. You dive some gear in OW and the LDS says buy this gear... well, you end up buying that gear. You buy the $80 mask when you can get a better mask for $40 online.

Want to see pictures of me in splits? :)

Eitherway it sounds like the LDS / new diver buy/rebuy pattern continues... I try to break the cycle and show people a different path before they get married to their decisions.
So, what exactly is the 'pattern', and what is the different path you show them? I am not challenging, and certainly not disagreeing (because I don't know the answers to the question), simply trying to understand.

What exactly do you see as the 'new diver buy/rebuy' pattern from your perspective?

Is the different path 'buy at the lowest price' (to get the best value propostion), or is it 'don't buy from a LDS', or is it, 'buy the second set of gear first' - a not uncommon theme seen here on SB?

As a mentor, would you discourage an early gear purchase? Would you advocate second hand / used gear as an initial buying approach?

I see this type of discussion emerge at various times on SB, and I am intrigued to better understand the perspectives from which they arise, rather than merely dismissing one point of view or another.

As a mentor, I'd loan gear wherever possible and discourage purchasing gear until they know they are hooked on the sport and the know what is best for their long term interests. No, I don't suggest buying the lowest price possible (unless it makes sense... the best value proposition may or may not be the lowest price), I do advocate buying the second set first and that usually that second set was actually at lower price points then the first so there's really not much reason to not do it IMO.

Thanks, makes sense.

As a mentor, I'd loan gear wherever possible and discourage purchasing gear until they know they are hooked on the sport and the know what is best for their long term interests. No, I don't suggest buying the lowest price possible (unless it makes sense... the best value proposition may or may not be the lowest price), I do advocate buying the second set first and that usually that second set was actually at lower price points then the first so there's really not much reason to not do it IMO.

I'm guessing you don't mentor a lot of new divers, as it would get quite expensive to maintain all of that loaner gear.

Many dive shops encourage students to rent equipment before they buy, which is very similar to what you are doing, except that they are trying to recover the maintenance cost and make a small profit.

I think it is great that you are willing to do this for free and any new diver would be lucky to find someone like you, but for many, they are stuck with the rent or buy decision.

Well, my buddy does the same for me. Loaned me a mask when I lost mine. A tank here and there (here try this lp95 and hp100 and see if you like it. ).

I'm sure if my bpw was trashed he'd dive his doubles and loan me his singles rig.

Well, my buddy does the same for me. Loaned me a mask when I lost mine. A tank here and there (here try this lp95 and hp100 and see if you like it. ).

I'm sure if my bpw was trashed he'd dive his doubles and loan me his singles rig.

Oh, I thought we were talking about the loan of complete kits. I have done exactly as you have from friends, and even from my LDS.

Ya, I said 'wherever possible'. The LDS around here charge $5 for this and $7 for that. If I can loan out some odds and ends then I can help a friend out. :) As my gear collection grows, I'll be able to help out even more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom