Open Water Certified Today: Now What?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wish I had a mentor like that early on. My mentor was not able to loan things like that. He only had one rig and as he was doing a kinda of DM internship with the shop I was certed through I think they told him not to. He had what at the time was referred to by the shop owner amd the shop owner's GF as a "contraption". And took a bit of ribbbing over it. And later I knew why. That contraption was a BPW rig that the shop did not sell. He used a long hose and bungeed back up. Did not know what it was called then and was carefully guided by the instructor to not make inquiries about it. So I ended up buying about $2000 worth of gear from the shop that was all no longer in use a year and a half later after I found scuba board and started to do a few dives with guys who were going for something called GUE training. Had my mentor been able to actually guide me without interference I would not have wasted so much coin on a lot of junk. Retractors, coil lanyards, clunky console, expensive jacket BC, and I would not have looked like such an ass on here early on arguing about how there was no advantage to a BPW over my jacket. What a waste of time and money. And I should have started buying on line sooner when the shop stalled me every time I wanted something that was even approaching "tech junk". LDS survive by doing what the two I work with now do. They don't argue when someone wants something new. They try to get it. One is now working out sidemount setups. Which is good as I see me going there next season. Too late for me to jump into something new now. But the idea is that it's ok to not use just what the shop wants you to. Diving is personal. Personalize it to work in your best interests and the best shops, local or on line, will help you to do that. The crappy ones will guide you in their best interests.

May I ask what you are paying for that gear? Here's my guess. $617 for the BCD, $729 for the mk25/r600, $159 for the r295 and you are probably getting a SPG/Depth gauge console that's probably around $150. That's around $1655 plus tax. Your LDS might be giving you a 10% discount which makes it $1489 plus tax.

Is that about right?
Somewhere around there, yes. I have had this money earmarked for scuba gear for quite some time now. I'm aware this isn't the cheapest sport and have done some considerable research around this.

What if I told you that if I was your mentor I could put you in gear that's every bit as good, very well situated for cold water off shore wreck diving and is used by tech divers at 300' with no problems for $800? ( Hint, I'm wearing it in my profile pic and the vendors are in my signature line. )
If you told me this, I would listen. However, the gear I bought was recommended by several experienced divers, some who were and some who were not affiliated with my LDS or any SP dealer. This is the gear they dive with, doing the same diving I intend to do. I don't plan on going into tech diving anytime soon, but if my mind does change, I would have no issues tweaking my setup. Good thing SP is a great brand and moves pretty well on the used market from what I've seen.

I'd also work with you in your local quarry doing fun dives while perfecting your bouyancy and skills so that one day we could hit those awesome wrecks you guys have. Oh and I wouldn't charge a penny because I love diving.
My LDS does this and several of the instructors have made the same offer. They love diving and they want me to love it too. Another reason why I have no problem spending my money on slightly more expensive gear from them.

Maybe that's why my opinions are considered subversive by some LDS's.
No worries here

You know, I see the utility in offering gear to someone who hasn't bought it yet, but telling someone who has just posted with joy about his newly acquired dive equipment that he massively overspent seems kind of gratuitously unkind, to me.
Massively overspent or not, the joy I get from diving makes it worth it. I don't expect to pinch pennies while undertaking expensive hobbies.

I dove with my zeagle bcd for 5 years and that was on a regular basis. Unless he goes for technical, I can't see him changing gear in the near future. I have switched gear here and there. I did it cause I got a good price as an instructor and I wanted to know the differences between gear. I didn't have to though.
I've dived three different BCD's thus far. Two jacket style BCD's and a Knighthawk. I LOVED the Knighthawk. Even as a new diver, I had zero issues with my buoyancy and was able to move around with ease. The only thing I felt was lacking was storage, which is fixed with the Seahawk.

When/if I get into tech diving, I'll be replacing gear. I never expected this to be a cheap hobby.

---------- Post Merged at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:56 PM ----------

I would say the best thing to do before would have been to rent or borrow gear and see what they like. Either way, once you get your gear, go out and dive. Take all opinions with a grain of salt. listen to everything and just enjoy getting in the water.
I've taken every bit of advice with several grains of salt. I've rented gear and found the BCD and regs that I particularly enjoy and purchased them. The jury is still out on wetsuits, which is why I haven't purchased yet.

I can say that going back 12 years ago that my primary focus was to get gear so that I didn't waste money on renting. I think that's the case for the OP also based on what he's written. In reality I still wasted money because I ended up with a bunch of gear that was overpriced and suboptimal for the diving that I was doing.
I have that primary focus as well. $1500 off the bat is the same as renting a full kit 10 times. This way, I'll be using the same gear time after time and will be able to get to know it inside and out.

The problem is without a good mentor it's hard to know what you don't know. You dive some gear in OW and the LDS says buy this gear... well, you end up buying that gear. You buy the $80 mask when you can get a better mask for $40 online.
I'd rather have the opportunity to get my hands on the gear before buying, talk about the gear ad nauseum with people who use it, and pay a little extra for the customer service. I have several friends that dive that are 100% loyal to this shop, and I understand why. Price isn't everything in this world.

As a mentor, I'd loan gear wherever possible and discourage purchasing gear until they know they are hooked on the sport and the know what is best for their long term interests. No, I don't suggest buying the lowest price possible (unless it makes sense... the best value proposition may or may not be the lowest price), I do advocate buying the second set first and that usually that second set was actually at lower price points then the first so there's really not much reason to not do it IMO.
The LDS has already turned me away from buying certain gear and I am 100% confident that they don't just want my money. They want me to fall in love with the sport as they do, and return to the shop for gear, classes, and to hang out amongst comrades.

Please know that the sale has been finalized and the gear has been ordered from the manufacturer. Let's check back in a few months, after a couple dozen dives have been logged with my gear, and if I'm not 100% elated with my gear, I'll tip my hat to you. Until then, I'm happy with my selections, excited that I have my own, and am anxiously awaiting next weekend when I can start to put it to good use.

Considerable research, no doubt. I've done about 12 years worth of 'research'. Others have done even more. :)

The cycle continues. Spend twice the money for gear you'll have to buy twice.

Out of curiosity, what gear did they steer you away from?

Anyways, welcome to the sport. It'll be more then a few months ( try a few years ) until you figure out if you made the right choice or not.

The MK25 isn't a bad choice, it's just an expensive choice. The Seakhawk on the otherhand, IMO, is both an expensive and a suboptimal choice.

I should rephrase... they steered me away from buying certain gear... YET. Like I said, the jury is still out on a wetsuit. I had every intention of buying one before my trip to the quarry, but they suggested that I rent a few and try them out in the cold water to see what I like. They could've let me buy whatever I wanted whether it was in my best interest or not, but they strongly suggested holding off on that.

I trust a shop that discourages buying certain expensive bits of gear right off the bat.

Regarding the MK25, it was the only first stage I saw out there between the divers at the shop, and the divers with the club next to us. With the exception of one MK17 being run by my one buddy, and a couple of rental MK2's.

But anyway, I'm happy to be among the ranks of you crazy, passionate guys. I truly understand why you divers are always happy.

Well, if you have the money to spend, all the power to you! I used to dive in the mid-atlantic ( inland and off shore ) and you're going to want a dry suit really soon if you have the enthusiasm and money for the sport that you seem to have. I dove wet but it really restricted my dive season from about May to October and ocean diving was cold.

I wish I had a mentor like that early on. My mentor was not able to loan things like that. He only had one rig and as he was doing a kinda of DM internship with the shop I was certed through I think they told him not to. He had what at the time was referred to by the shop owner amd the shop owner's GF as a "contraption". And took a bit of ribbbing over it. And later I knew why. That contraption was a BPW rig that the shop did not sell. He used a long hose and bungeed back up. Did not know what it was called then and was carefully guided by the instructor to not make inquiries about it. So I ended up buying about $2000 worth of gear from the shop that was all no longer in use a year and a half later after I found scuba board and started to do a few dives with guys who were going for something called GUE training. Had my mentor been able to actually guide me without interference I would not have wasted so much coin on a lot of junk. Retractors, coil lanyards, clunky console, expensive jacket BC, and I would not have looked like such an ass on here early on arguing about how there was no advantage to a BPW over my jacket. What a waste of time and money. And I should have started buying on line sooner when the shop stalled me every time I wanted something that was even approaching "tech junk". LDS survive by doing what the two I work with now do. They don't argue when someone wants something new. They try to get it. One is now working out sidemount setups. Which is good as I see me going there next season. Too late for me to jump into something new now. But the idea is that it's ok to not use just what the shop wants you to. Diving is personal. Personalize it to work in your best interests and the best shops, local or on line, will help you to do that. The crappy ones will guide you in their best interests.

GUE is soooooo flexible about personal gear selection aren't they this new happy diver is just another "stroke." I dive with 2 little retractors on my tech rig, guess I'm a stroke too, but to the OP, congratulations, glad to see you are enthusiastic about you diving. Take what classes YOU want to take, dive the gear You want to dive, and dive as often as possible. I am glad you have joined the ranks, and if you come to Chicago, look me up I would be happy to dive some Lake Michigan wrecks with you.

Dive as much as you can and stay within your limits of training. Go slow and build confidence and experience...then knock out the other specialities. The AOW will be a good place to hold up for awhile. If anything, focus on bouyancy as I see so many divers still having problems with that. In NJ, you will probably want to get some drysuit experience/training and again, hence the need for bouyancy control.

GUE is soooooo flexible about personal gear selection aren't they this new happy diver is just another "stroke." I dive with 2 little retractors on my tech rig, guess I'm a stroke too, but to the OP, congratulations, glad to see you are enthusiastic about you diving. Take what classes YOU want to take, dive the gear You want to dive, and dive as often as possible. I am glad you have joined the ranks, and if you come to Chicago, look me up I would be happy to dive some Lake Michigan wrecks with you.
Thanks for the kind words. Next time I'm out in Chi-town for more than a few days, I'll send you a message. Thanks!

Dive as much as you can and stay within your limits of training. Go slow and build confidence and experience...then knock out the other specialities. The AOW will be a good place to hold up for awhile. If anything, focus on bouyancy as I see so many divers still having problems with that. In NJ, you will probably want to get some drysuit experience/training and again, hence the need for bouyancy control.
Drysuit is a class I want to take eventually, after AOW, Nitrox and Wreck. Buoyancy is a big focus for me... I can keep it under control when I'm concentrating on it. I just need it to be second nature.

Thanks for the advice!

Update: I got my advanced open water this weekend... my instructor felt that I had good understanding of concepts and good buoyancy control and asked if I'd be interested in moving up my AOW class by a month so he could instruct me (he's been a great mentor and I was more than happy to move up my timeline).

Anyway, my dive buddy, instructor and I opted to do the following adventure dives:
* Peak Performance Buoyancy... I had little trouble with the exercises and was elated by this!
* Underwater Navigator... as a former Boy Scout, I spent plenty of time orienteering, another easy one for me.
* Search and Recovery... my Boy Scout training failed me here as I was having difficulty tying a bowline underwater with gloves, despite practicing for a while topside. I eventually got it and my dive buddy and I successfully managed to lift the cinder block to the surface. Bringing it back down was a bit more challenging (albeit, not a requirement for S&R)
* Night dive... we didn't do this as part of the class, but our dive shop was taking out a few people so we tagged along. We grabbed our lights and explored the quarry at night. Playing follow the leader was a welcome change from having to analyze every movement, and I found buoyancy control even easier when I *wasn't* thinking about it every five seconds.

We camped overnight at the quarry and woke up early for our second day of briefings, before setting off on our final dives.
* Deep dive... following a long walk to the deep area of the quarry, we only descended to ~70 feet because visibility was only about five feet. No signs of nitrogen narcosis for the short time we were down that far. We opted to swim back below the surface until one of us hit 500 psi and then we would surface as a group. Over the weekend, I found myself quite relaxed in the water and noticed a considerable improvement in my air consumption.
* Wreck dive... we finished off diving the wreck of a Sikorsky H-37 helicopter. My buddy and I surveyed the wreck for dangers, noted it's orientation and ran wreck lines inside the airframe. A spectacular experience for a couple of guys who want to spend more time diving wrecks.

So the long story short, I'm now AOW certified and know where I need work. My buoyancy is good most of the time but I do catch myself unknowingly ascending a bit, but nothing serious. Once I get that down to a science, I'll be going after my drysuit certification since the North Atlantic can get quite frigid at depth. And my knot tying can definitely use some improvement, but all and all, my instructor and I find myself to be a competent, and confident diver, I just need to find a few more free weekends to improve my buoyancy control even more before I pursue drysuit and underwater photography.

A little bit down the road, my buddy and I are looking at becoming rescue divers. Being that we are still somewhat new, we opted to at least double our dive count before pursuing the next certification.

Back
Top Bottom