Open Water Certified Today: Now What?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a similar experience with taking AOW early on. I felt like it was a fun weekend, and a good "advanced beginner" class. As long as you don't delude yourself into thinking it makes you "advanced", I think it's a good jumping off point for more practice on your own and more fun dives. It builds useful skills that don't fit into the standard OW course, and shows you what you're already pretty good at and what you need to really focus on. Some people learn well with focused training like that, even if it is a lot to pack into one weekend.

We're planning something similar to you with Rescue. We want to take it fairly early for the learning experience, but not until the basic skills are automatic. (Maybe after 40 or 50 dives and some more pool time?) We don't need deep or wreck certification to dive several good wrecks off of the NC coast.

Thanks for the update, sounds like you had a fun weekend...and congratulations!
Thanks a lot! It's really a great sport and I'm glad I took my first Open Water class... unfortunately, I can see this hurting the bank account for quite some time :D

---------- Post Merged on July 24th, 2012 at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous Post was on July 23rd, 2012 at 11:40 PM ----------

I had a similar experience with taking AOW early on. I felt like it was a fun weekend, and a good "advanced beginner" class. As long as you don't delude yourself into thinking it makes you "advanced", I think it's a good jumping off point for more practice on your own and more fun dives. It builds useful skills that don't fit into the standard OW course, and shows you what you're already pretty good at and what you need to really focus on. Some people learn well with focused training like that, even if it is a lot to pack into one weekend.

We're planning something similar to you with Rescue. We want to take it fairly early for the learning experience, but not until the basic skills are automatic. (Maybe after 40 or 50 dives and some more pool time?) We don't need deep or wreck certification to dive several good wrecks off of the NC coast.
Honestly, I feel the same way... AOW wasn't an advanced class by any means, but it provided more groundwork for me to grow on. Provided me basic skills that I can practice and progress myself as a diver. And of course, I learned some of my weak points and those of my buddy... together we can grow into better divers.

Anyway, we both have season passes to the quarry and intend to spend PLENTY of time there whenever schedules permit. We're not going after deep certification or wreck certification since right now we're planning on going the Rescue Diver route and then onto Divemaster next year.

I know it sounds a little premature, but I've fallen in love with the sport and want to share it!

It sounds as though you are doing exactly what you ought, and more importantly, enjoying it. You know, people here can nitpick every decision, every class, and every piece of gear you buy . . . but what's really important is understanding that diving is an activity that is more rewarding if you are good at it, and safer if you understand more about it. Clearly, you are practicing and learning, and that's a great thing.

Hope to see you visit here in the PNW some day.

You know you don't have to go for Divemaster to be a really good diver, right? That's just if you want to be a professional.

All of the Divemaster candidates I know are essentially free labor for the dive shop. And the Divemasters just have their meager earnings credited to their dive shop account, because it's never enough to cover their diving expenses. :)

(I should add that I love our DMCs and DMs... but it's not an ideal way to make money or to even learn to be a better diver.)

...//... But anyway, I'm happy to be among the ranks of you crazy, passionate guys. I truly understand why you divers are always happy.

:D

...//... unfortunately, I can see this hurting the bank account for quite some time ...//...

No comment.

Now is not too soon to get your boat skills in order and get a few salty dives in your logbook. Look for a boat or club that is prepping new ocean divers. Call, often clubs get cancellations or are looking for new members. Nothing keeping you from being a member of more than one club.

A quick internet search turned this up this past event: Intro to NE Diving with the John Jack - NYC Sea Gypsies - A real dive club (New York, NY) - Meetup This is offered as a prime example of what you should look for.

Enjoy!

You know you don't have to go for Divemaster to be a really good diver, right? That's just if you want to be a professional.

All of the Divemaster candidates I know are essentially free labor for the dive shop. And the Divemasters just have their meager earnings credited to their dive shop account, because it's never enough to cover their diving expenses. :)

(I should add that I love our DMCs and DMs... but it's not an ideal way to make money or to even learn to be a better diver.)
I'm aware that becoming a DM doesn't make you a better diver, just a professional that doesn't get paid much :)

Honestly, I'm looking at that path because I enjoy diving and want to share that joy with others, by helping out during OW and AOW classes.

I've been chatting up our shop's DM's and came to realize that I'm doing it for all the reasons they did, and they have no regrets. They all have full time careers, and come out to the quarry on weekends to help out on OW classes and dive trips. They're smiling ear to ear as they do it.

---------- Post Merged at 06:46 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:45 AM ----------

It sounds as though you are doing exactly what you ought, and more importantly, enjoying it. You know, people here can nitpick every decision, every class, and every piece of gear you buy . . . but what's really important is understanding that diving is an activity that is more rewarding if you are good at it, and safer if you understand more about it. Clearly, you are practicing and learning, and that's a great thing.

Hope to see you visit here in the PNW some day.
Thanks! I was out in Seattle a few weeks ago and loved the city. I'd definitely love to dive out that way one day!

Dive Dive Dive. That is all you need to focus on right now!

How deep are the wrecks in Jersey? That should give you a good way forward. Navigation is important! might as well get a night dive in AOW!

Nothing beats actual experience.

I agree.
It's great that you are that enthusiastic about the sport and it's a good thing that you care about getting more education but a lot of what you need to know as a beginnger will not come through formalized courses but from going out and actually do dives. So how many total lifetime dives do you have right now, and out of these how many are dives that were part of a course? I assume that a very high percentage of all your dives are dives within a course setting. So build on the knowledge you got from OW and AOW courses and apply it in "the real (underwater) world" :)
Take it slow with more courses. Rescue is an awesome course but you need to have the basic stuff down before it really make sense IMO and that you cannot have accomplished with 0-24 dives (according to your profile and from which at least 9 dives were part of OW/AOW course) IMO. Let alone DM. I'd be less than thrilled as a customer if my DM in a course had only about a year of experience (except you squeeze about 300-400 dives in during that year :D), even though I know this is not unusual for a lot of shops (from which I'd not take training then).

So in a nutshell. Don't focus to much on additional courses for now and go out diving. Have fun! :wink:

Last edited:
I do agree with the folks who are saying to put off DM training. Dive, and build your own skills. Watch the 5thD-X videos on YouTube -- when you can do what Andrew does, THEN go for DM training. Be a DM whose actual DIVING skills are worthy of emulation, not just one who can squat in the bottom of the pool and clear his mask in obvious steps.

How deep are the wrecks in Jersey? That should give you a good way forward. Navigation is important! might as well get a night dive in AOW!

Wrecks vary from about 60-130 feet here in NJ which is why AOW was a must for me. Drysuit is also a pretty big plus with some of our water temps. Like I said, my nav is pretty solid (plenty of time orienteering with the Boy Scouts) but as I said, I could always use more practice, as well as spending more time on night dives. I did one and thoroughly enjoyed it!

I agree.
It's great that you are that enthusiastic about the sport and it's a good thing that you care about getting more education but a lot of what you need to know as a beginnger will not come through formalized courses but from going out and actually do dives. So how many total lifetime dives do you have right now, and out of these how many are dives that were part of a course? I assume that a very high percentage of all your dives are dives within a course setting. So build on the knowledge you got from OW and AOW courses and apply it in "the real (underwater) world" :)
Take it slow with more courses. Rescue is an awesome course but you need to have the basic stuff down before it really make sense IMO and that you cannot have accomplished with 0-24 dives (according to your profile and from which at least 9 dives were part of OW/AOW course) IMO. Let alone DM. I'd be less than thrilled as a customer if my DM in a course had only about a year of experience (except you squeeze about 300-400 dives in during that year :D), even though I know this is not unusual for a lot of shops (from which I'd not take training then).

So in a nutshell. Don't focus to much on additional courses for now and go out diving. Have fun! :wink:
I'm not focusing on additional courses that I'll be taking right away, just assessing my situation and laying a course of action. I need much more time out in the water before I even look at pursuing DM, or Rescue Diver for that matter!

I do agree with the folks who are saying to put off DM training. Dive, and build your own skills. Watch the 5thD-X videos on YouTube -- when you can do what Andrew does, THEN go for DM training. Be a DM whose actual DIVING skills are worthy of emulation, not just one who can squat in the bottom of the pool and clear his mask in obvious steps.
Like I said, DM is at least a year out, depending how many dives I get in. While the minimum number of dives to complete DM training is only 80 or so, I would never want to assist with instructing a student with only that much experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom