Open Water To Dive Master How Long?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having just completed my DM course in April/May, I can say it took me about 7-8 months. Granted my instructor played a big role in it taking some time, too, but in addition to having all the pre-requisite certs beforehand, there are dives and skills you have to preform as part of the course. Plus needing to give a few different types of briefings, shadowing instructors/DM's during OW classes, etc. and a few other things on the business side you'll be clued in to during your course. At least for me anyway, it really gives more insight into the inner workings of a dive shop and the industry as a whole.

But yes assuming you have the pre-requisites out of the way and the required number of dives and bottom time for your specific training agency, you could probably finish the course in a couple of months if you really hit it hard. But again it all depends on your instructor, too.

I took all my scuba courses in college so it took me 2 yrs to obtain DM – 1 scuba course per semester, OW, AoW, Rescue, DM. I felt my training was better to the norm since it took so long. I worked a lot of classes between 1991 and 2000 and decided I was not interested in being OWSI (mainly bc of liability and the fact that it would not be my profession). I just wanted to have the experience and knowledge to get myself out of a jam if encountered.

^ This. I took my DM course because an Instructor from the shop I worked at gave it to me for cost of materials only. I had to help with classes for a year plus help him move twice. I worked as a DM for a year on local boats but really missed diving for my own enjoyment. I had no desire to become an Instructor. I love diving too much to do that.

It takes as long as it takes you to swipe your card and put in your pin. I would bet that DMs don’t know what they’re doing because they’re probably did one of those zero to hero courses shortly after doing their OW. They sought the quick ticket rather than the quality one. For anyone who wants to be a DM, do yourself a favour and develop your diving skills before you try to guide people who could be new OW divers and have responsibility placed on you.

but really missed diving for my own enjoyment.

^^And this is why I stopped working classes. Diver burnout is possible... I look more forward to my dives every year now that I am not doing it every weekend of the summer.

Likewise, a few days off the ski lake is refreshing too.

Thirty years after my first OW dive, I was able to attain DM from having only OW to DM in about two months, mostly on weekends. Most of the dives were check offs, rather than true learning experiences. I aced the tests and helped my buddy, @Moose, with the science and math. We were tested on the PADI Wheel, when I went through it. That was a bit of a head scratcher, but I fingered it out. My instructor had a hard time finding a wheel for us to use.

I started in the "old' PADI DM course Fall 2009, finished Spring, 2011. Yes, the instructor has a lot to do with it. As well as scheduling and winter weather preventing stuff. But I had 158 dives done before starting the course. This seemed about right for me.

@gearbow, most of this depends on how fast you pick things up and what, if any, remediation you need. If we put the pedal to the metal, you pick everything up on the first try AND you have the right attitude, I could probably get you through in about 1.5 weeks but that would be going full-tilt every day and it assumes everything just clicks.

With that in mind, there is a big difference between what we could make happen and what we should make happen. That is where it comes down to the instructor getting to know their student and ensuring that they are getting solid training.

Answer: About a month of intense work with daily slots of study time and in-pool practice for the swim tests to complete both Rescue and Divemaster certifications. I am reminded of the project management axiom: "faster-better-cheaper ... choose two." You might be sacrificing some quality with an accelerated learning path. A quick path to your certification goals can be done; I was an experienced diver, completed online learning, put in lots of training hours in the pool, and completed my Divemaster certification in 16 days. I cannot over-emphasise the importance of a high number of diverse dives, with reflective learning in order to maximise your progression.
Good luck with your diving goals,
GJS

I don't understand the why of rushing and hurrying to collect plastic in a delay as short as possible.
So, if I understand correctly: the more plastic in the wallet, the better the diver?

Note: I'm NOT JUDGING (capitals-bold-Italic AND underlined!!) anyone. Each should go as fast or as slow as they want.

I just can't deny that around me I see it often.

Some people who got OW certified at the same time as myself have already enrolled (and even started before Corona) for AOW. All of them by taking the 5-dive way...
"Because that's faster and once you're AOW, they actually consider you as a diver. Which is not the case when you're just an OW"...

:facepalm:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom