Opening Oceanic VEO 250 computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fmerkel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I want to open up the above dive computer, so started this thread.
I did figure it out.Maybe someone can use this. Should work with any/most Oceanic dive computers of this style.

Got side tracked while writing the stuff below. Figured out the top half is press fitted HARD onto the bottom half. Getting the 2 halves apart was NOT easy.

The key is PRY/TWIST (BIG flat bladed screwdriver) right where the oval is between the 2 halves.
There are hidden ridges in the bottom half that mate up with grooves in the top half. You need to work back and forth around the circumference until you get the top part released from the bottom.
There was no glue. I had feared there might be....but then they couldn't service them.

Up top there is an O-ring that seals. Remove that and you can carefully pry out the whole working guts leaving the bottom. If you simply whack it down on something firm it comes right out leaving you with 6 teeny springs, and wondering where those go. 3 large ones to electrical contacts, 3 small ones to the USB contacts would be my guess.
Under that is the main bottom half. Not a whole lot to that. There is an O-ring where the pressure sensor goes through.
4 small clips hold the LCD screen to the main board. With a small jeweler's screwdriver I pried the 2 halves apart.

Oh yeah, salt water corrosion inside, too much damage to do anything about but scrap it. I actually don't think it was the battery compartment leak based on where the damage was, but water can travel. Oh well. But, If I'd opened it weeks ago when it was still working I may have saved it, maybe.
So below is the history that got me here.

Got a teeny leak in the battery compartment of the DC. It was still working but tiny bit of corrosion on one connector. Cleaned everything all up. Looked good, could only tell there was a problem with close inspection.
Got a new battery and O-ring kit, installed, fired right up and worked fine. Still working a couple weeks later.
Several days ago decided to check to make sure it wasn't leaking. > Would not boot with an almost new battery!

Opened up the battery case > dry....Great. Checked battery voltage > under 1v. Huh? OK, funky battery maybe.
Put in a new battery with 3.28v > no boot. Checked everything > still no boot.

Close inspection shows what may be a sliver of condensation on the edge of the LCD screen...maybe. Could also be an artifact. I have a jar of quality desiccant for drying out hearing aids. With battery compartment open I put it in and left it for 24*. Checked function > nothing.
Put the whole works in a 170* oven for about 10", put the DC in the desiccant jar and sealed it up while warm. Figured the cooling would make a bit of vacuum in there which might help.
24* later, checked again. BOOTED > into a [Test Mode] with mostly gibberish on the screen, then faded out. Would not boot again. Repeated a couple more of these fruitless cycles.

I decided to try to open it up. Nothing to lose. Which brings you back to the beginning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom