• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Opening Of Indonesia pushed to end of 2020?

Discussion in 'Indonesia' started by GirlonFire, Aug 16, 2020.

1. tursiops

tursiops Marine Scientist and Master Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    That's not quite the point.
    Even if the test were 100% accurate, it is only applicable to that moment in time when it was taken. You might have been exposed prior to that but the viral load has not yet developed (your "incubation time"), or you might get exposed after the test.

Hoyden and chillyinCanada like this.
  2. Centrals

Centrals Barangay Pasaway

# of Dives:
    I knew that unfortunately plenty of us do not think along this way!
    I could have myself tested a while back for FREE but once I realized it was NOT compulsory and there was NO whole scale lock down of the city. I thought why bother! It was absolutely a waste of tax payers money.
    This "wuhan virus" is really evil with so many new tricks to fool us.

3. Esprise Me

Esprise Me Kelp forest dweller ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    A chilling case study for anyone who thinks a negative test result means they're safe to fly: A traveler tested negative for covid-19 before a flight. He had the virus and infected 4 passengers.

Hoyden and chillyinCanada like this.
  4. Dan

Dan ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
  5. Searcaigh

Searcaigh Chromodoris gordonii Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Use an N95 mask if you can Dan.

I used one for my flights to Saudi and Qatar last February and it wasn't too bad. I'll be wearing one for an eight hour flight in January, but 18 hours is another matter.

I would also suggest you take a packet of antiseptic wipes and clean the area around your seat.

Dan and chillyinCanada like this.
  6. Indah

Indah Manta Ray

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    August next year all should be fine again for traveling.

chillyinCanada likes this.
  7. BLACKCRUSADER

BLACKCRUSADER Manta Ray

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Many countries like Indonesia do not really know how many Wuhan China virus cases they have and even if a vaccine is available how will they afford to give it to the populations they have?

8. stepfen

stepfen ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Apart from the accuracy and the timing problem described above, people should also consider the validity of these tests especially in less developed countries. Yesterday a bus load (50 or so) of workers coming to Greece from abroad were fount to have fake PCR tests. After they were tested 5 (10%) of them were fount positive. A lot of people can't afford the 100$ or so for the test (especially if they need to move around frequently) and if they have to move, they will think of every alternative to do so.

Indah likes this.
  9. Dan

Dan ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I’ll just follow the COVID-19 protocols and forget about all those gloom & doom view of the world. In fact I found a new hobby to replace the missing diving trips (cancelled 6 dive trips so far this year), that is cycling. I got hooked on it and cycling for 20-30 miles everyday (50-80 miles on the weekends) in the last 9 months, lost 20 lbs and haven’t gotten the dang virus, yet. Knock on wood.

2B5A53D9-8387-4650-A1B5-DC78CBB78C3B.jpeg

chillyinCanada likes this.
  10. David Novo

David Novo REEF Volunteer

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    3-5 hours in an N95/FPP2 mask is manageable. I wore one from the time I entered the airport in Lisbon until the plane landed in Faial (the Azores) this Summer (2h15 flight).

It was not pleasant but it was manageable. I would not be able to do it for a long-haul flight though.

Dan likes this.