Opinion on the Micro 2.0 Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nick Ruberg

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi guys,

I have a Reefmaster mini which my wife uses for underwater. It is a bit of a dog when it comes to focusing. Really slow and I think she has outgrown it by now. I like the Micro because of its sealed design which alleviates the need to clean, grease and fiddle with O-rings.

Does anyone have any experience with the Micro 2.0? In particular, how is the focusing? How easy is it to set a custom white balance against your hand or a white fin?

Any info appreciated.

Thanks,.
nick

I have a. Micro 2.0 and am happy with it, but you have to recognize that fundamentally you are getting a point and shoot camera. The waterproofing is great, easy to use, WiFi connection to iPad/iPhone for downloading pictures is easy and intuitive, battery life is good, easy Settings to adjust with quick select for surface, snorkel and dive modes (adjusts digital red filter and white balance). Focusing is all automatic rather than manual and if you are going to do macro photography you will need the macro lens, inexpensive add on.

If you are a more advanced photography and really want more than a point and shoot the micro 2.0 is probably not for you. The camera does not allow you to download pictures in RAW format for the best editing, only does JPG. You can use lights but not strobe lights, no connection for strobe to camera for timing strobe flash. If you want those more advanced features probably to look at something else.

Good short review

SeaLife Micro 2.0 Camera Review

I have the Micro and a SeaDragon light. It is small and easy to use. I love the fact that it is permanently sealed. There's no chance of flooding, no messing with o-rings, and no grease to smear around.

I've never had any problems with focusing, except when I forget to install/remove the macro lens. I think the videos are awesome and love the quality.

The photos are also very good, with one limitation. There is no option for a strobe. Sometimes the subject will have a little motion blur, if it was twitching or turning at the exact wrong moment. With a flash/strobe, you can more easily stop action and freeze the image.

If the Micro had a flash, it would be the perfect camera for me.

Thanks for the feedback. That is exactly what I was looking for. This is for my wife and she is quite happy to point and shoot. Doesn't want a strobe, so that is perfect. The Reef Master has two problems. The focusing is horribly slow, so by the time the shot is taken the creature has moved on and started a family. Also, it only uses AAA batteries which it chews at a rate of knots, so if I can solve both of those problems I will be happy with it, the most important being the slow focus.

I also like the 'continuous' feature. I press and hold the shutter release. It takes a photo every 1-2 seconds until I release. Then later I can pic the best and toss the rest...

I have a micro and it had failed. Would not turn on sent it to the manufacturer and they could not get it to work. They replaced the camera but unfortunately I had not downloaded the images and therefore all was lost. What I can say is the manufacturer was very gratuitous in replacing the camera but if it had a removable SD card I could have salvaged the pictures I had taken.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom