opinions needed: custom can light:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

looks like plastic, and you got to carry a suitcase of batteries if you go on a dive trip.

This looks like some pond light
Amphibious Warm Yellow Lamp Set - Pair - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

sku_49199_1.jpg

with Deal Extreme Led insert
5*Cree R2 1200-Lumen White Light Drop-in LED Module (52.7mm*42mm/8.4V Max) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

sku_35241_1.jpg

Problem might be plastic enclosure (heat transfer to water ) , ordinary front glass ( not designed for pessure ) , these lights seals well to some 2m , but thenn depends on light modifications , plastic gland...,with some plumbing type canister

there is a reason why it is cheap, all the components are cheap and workmanship as well. check out the shoddy plastic weld job, lettering, switch.

lucca brassi hit the nail on the head....that's what it is....and IMO I would never trust a plastic light head like that where I dive.....don't know if you can use rechargeable batteries of not but if says DISPOSABLE and depending on how often ya dive in a years time you could got a really nice Light monkey or dive rite setup

I build my own lights and I only use 3 crees....and they do get hot....burn that light off ebay outa water and your gonna have a nice expensive pile of melted plastic

just remember ya get what ya pay for.....in this case I dont even think your getting that

Lots of factors to consider when purchasing a light... one is the relationship between the light source and the power source. Not all dive lights, even some that retail for a grand or more, are correctly engineered. Just because a handful of batteries drive the light, there is no guarantee how long the light source itself will function... a month, a week, a couple of days... before it fails... or flames out.

Have zero experience with the supplier in question. He/she may be a lighting engineer with a PhD in physics for all I know.

However, consider this. When a light is required, it is invariably mission-critical that it functions reliably...

Looks like a put together with less than $100 of whatever parts they could get their hands on. They actually use a toggle switch with a rubber cover?

lights that I build are all (completed ) in range 450-500€ , easy competite with known brands and even outrunning them in quality and choosen parts.

It is possible to made good light from ''so called '' pond light but you have to research and combine parts to made light to seal well . At two -three lights you will pay cca 1/2-1/3 more than is worth of canister lamp in store (if you want to do right way ) and you will never know when you loose your money and where ... you have to read many thing , datasheets , handbooks , learn about materials .......it is so called ''evolution '' ;-)) ... trust me ; I know ;-))))

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom