Opinions of Aquatech Dive Center at Villas DeRosa, Akumal, Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marko Solo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Greetings Divers,

My family and I are heading to Akumal, Mexico next week and we are staying in a three-bedroom condo at Villa DeRosa. Within the Villa, they have a dive shop and they offer several different courses and dive options. We plan to snorkel the bays and the centoes', but I would also like to have my family take the "Discover SCUBA"/resort course.

A little background; I have been a PADI certified diver since age-15, but I haven't done many dives in recent years. That said, I took a refresher course from a local dive shop a few weeks ago and upgraded my gear and had some of my older regs and gear inspected and serviced. My "kids" are ages, 22, 26, 29 and 31 years of age. They are very active, athletic and healthy.

The condo and villa that we'll be staying in seems very nice and it is right on the beach. We like the amenities the Villa offers and the location, which is about 3-miles south of Akumal. I want my family, including my wife, to take the "Discover SCUBA" course so we can enjoy some reef diving together. Due to their skill level, and the fact I have been 'dry docked' for a few years, we don't intend to do anything too intense.

So here's my question. I don't know much about the Aquatech Dive Center at the Villa, other than what they list on their website. I can't seem to find many reviews about their dive center or the quality of their instruction. I did find some older posts on here about the Aquatech Dive Center and the reviews were okay, albeit one was rather negative. That said, there always seems to be that one negative review in every user review, regardless of the product. I don't know if the reviewer had an isolated bad experience, or if it's something I should be concerned about. There's always the Akumal Dive Shop 3-miles up the road, but I would like to take advantage of the Aquatech dive shop that's essentially downstairs from our condo.

Does anyone have some recent experience with the Aquatech Dive shop at Villa DeRosa? Any and all feedback would be appreciated.

Marko

I was on a group trip a few years ago and the guides they used were very good. I think they contract out guiding and instruction both, and I was very pleased with the quality. The guides tailored the dives to experience level of the group and were very liberal with experienced/skilled divers and more conservative with less-skilled / less-experienced divers.

I don't have any information on Aquatec, but I can absolutely recommend Cenote Xperience in Playa. Martin is hands down one of the best divemasters I have ever dove with. They run all kinds of dives (reef, bull shark, whale shark, Cozumel reefs, and cenotes)and the dives are personalized to the divers taste. I know they range to Akumal because one week ago, we drove to Tulum to dive 2 cenotes.

Awesome shop, awesome staff, awesome dives. Tell Martin, Jay from Oklahoma says hello!

You won't be disappointed. Jay

CenoteXperience - Cavern, Cave and Ocean Diving in Playa del Carmen Yucatan Mexico - Home

I was on a group trip a few years ago and the guides they used were very good. I think they contract out guiding and instruction both, and I was very pleased with the quality. The guides tailored the dives to experience level of the group and were very liberal with experienced/skilled divers and more conservative with less-skilled / less-experienced divers.
I was on that same group trip and was also favorably impressed with the Aquatech operation. My wife and brother-in-law and his son were doing OW stuff (and a cavern class) while the rest of us were cave-diving, and it all meshed smoothly and professionally. Not an easy task!

Back
Top Bottom