Opinions on an SMS75?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nldiver1984

Contributor
Reaction score
I found a gently used SMS 75 for sale for $600 Canadian. I've attempted to ask for opinions about this rig but was told it was horrible for sidemount and Hollis' customer service is really bad. I was suggested to go with X-Deep, but it's a $1250 rig. I haven't done a sidemount course yet, but a PADI instructor I know uses the same rig. Is $600 a good deal or should I wait to do the course first?

I have it and love it. I know others locally who dive it.

It’s meant for steels. If you’re going to be diving AL80s get something else.

I dive SM in both a Hollis SMS75 and SMS100 with AL80's. It's all I've used for SM so I can't compare, but seems to work fine for me. I'm sure it would be better with steels, but I wanted to learn and use what I would likely have access to regardless of where I was diving (AL80s). Maybe if I tried some of the other rigs people are recommending with AL80s, or if I tried steels with the Hollis rigs, I would understand the hate for using the Hollis rigs with ALs. You'll need D rings on your waist belt and a suitable method of carrying weights. I don't like the back plate. Makes me feel like I am having to work to "balance" the weights above me. I use a DUI weight harness for dry suit but am able to get by with 2 Hollis weight pouches on the waist belt if I am in a wetsuit. $600 seems steep. I got the 75 for $425 a year or so ago on Ebay, and the 100 (with Edd Mods) on a facebook SCUBA gear buy/sell/swap for $400. The 75 didn't come with the tank rigging, but I picked up some Hog cam bands, hardware, and paracord for less than $50.
Regardless of your gear decision, welcome to the dark side...

EDIT: I haven't taken the SM course (I will take the class eventually, as my local DS will require I be certified SM before taking any Tec courses in SM), but my regular dive buddy has been diving side mount since we started diving together (last 2 plus years). He was just getting started in SM so I was there as he learned and tried things. 18 months later when I decided to try SM out, he was nice enough to "mentor" and coach me to get me set up started in SM. He dives Hollis rigs, albeit with steels, so it was natural for me to try out the Hollis rigs, since he already had a wealth of knowledge on them. I'm happy with the Hollis rigs and therefore haven't felt the need to look at any others. If you are planning on taking the course early on, you may want to get with the shop/instructor and get their input on what equipment they recommend. I believe it would greatly decrease the learning curve if your instructor uses or HAS used the rig you will be using.

I got my SMS75 used with the weight plate for $425 shipped either here or on a FB group. Can’t remember which. It had never been in the water.

All depends on what you plan to do with it. If you plan to travel with it or dive 80s, then you're making a mistake. It's big and bulky and doesn't pack well at all. If you're diving steels it's not a bad starting point. The pro is many many people have used it as a starting point in their sm adventure with steels and it's worked pretty well for them. The negative is that it is a system you will learn the faults of pretty quickly and will move away from. I've got 2 sms100s with Edd mods I've been forgetting to sell for the past few years. There are reasons myself and many others that learned sm from Edd (the modder of the 100 and basically the inventor of the 75) have abandoned the rig.

If the stealth is too pricey, then maybe consider a Nomad LS. My wife loves hers. Personally I think the Stealth ticks off so many boxes that it should be most people's primary choice. It's got ease of use, setup, and adjustment, it dives perfect out of the box, is easily packable for travel, and has the best weight system on the market.
Nomad LS | Dive Rite
Be cautious of the opinions of OW sidemounters. They often are the ones that will scare you in sidemount

How the hell does the xdeep cost 1250$? It costs 450€ in Europe, and that usually includes VAT.

All depends on what you plan to do with it. If you plan to travel with it or dive 80s, then you're making a mistake. It's big and bulky and doesn't pack well at all. If you're diving steels it's not a bad starting point. The pro is many many people have used it as a starting point in their sm adventure with steels and it's worked pretty well for them. The negative is that it is a system you will learn the faults of pretty quickly and will move away from. I've got 2 sms100s with Edd mods I've been forgetting to sell for the past few years. There are reasons myself and many others that learned sm from Edd (the modder of the 100 and basically the inventor of the 75) have abandoned the rig.

If the stealth is too pricey, then maybe consider a Nomad LS. My wife loves hers. Personally I think the Stealth ticks off so many boxes that it should be most people's primary choice. It's got ease of use, setup, and adjustment, it dives perfect out of the box, is easily packable for travel, and has the best weight system on the market.
Nomad LS | Dive Rite
Be cautious of the opinions of OW sidemounters. They often are the ones that will scare you in sidemount

Maybe you should cut the OP a sweet deal on one of those 100's...

How the hell does the xdeep cost 1250$? It costs 450€ in Europe, and that usually includes VAT.

Wondered the same but was too lazy to actually look up the US: Canadian currency exchange.

In the end you can buy right and once or wrong and twice. Both will likely cost the same.

I found a gently used SMS 75 for sale for $600 Canadian. I've attempted to ask for opinions about this rig but was told it was horrible for sidemount and Hollis' customer service is really bad. I was suggested to go with X-Deep, but it's a $1250 rig. I haven't done a sidemount course yet, but a PADI instructor I know uses the same rig. Is $600 a good deal or should I wait to do the course first?
Seems a little steep even in CDN $$$

But the SMS75 is a nice rig with a drysuit and lp85s and will take a weight pouch to add enough lead to sink you in Canada. The sms75 is also much better with heavy steels like hp100s than the Xdeep. Its almost impossible to get hp tanks to work on a sm rig without a buttplate - they end up hanging far too low.

Not sure where you are ordering from, but in the States the Xdeep and the SMS75 retail for about the same $700 USD price.

Maybe you should cut the OP a sweet deal on one of those 100's...

I'd be happy to if he'd like. He can messsage me. I didn't offer in the post so I wouldn't come off as just wanting to sell something.
Both are in excellent shape and fully modded by Edd himself

Back
Top Bottom