Opinions on BCD for Youth (age 12)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lblamboy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Am familiar with the Oceanic Explorer BCD, but think this is no longer made...what are kids using now...are there youth-oriented BCD's still, or are they just getting XXS female BCDs?

I saw one post recommending kids just get a backplate and wing, but, for some reason, find that unavailing for a newly certified youth...(maybe I just associate backplates with tech diving too much?) and suspect it wouldn't be as comfortable either?!?

All opinions welcomed!

My daughter is 10 and wears a Zeagle Stiletto. You can easily change out the Stiletto straps with larger straps as your child outgrows them so the BC keep fitting for quite a while.

If you go with a BP/wing then you loose integrated weights so its additional overhead your child needs to learn to use properly.

A mod should merge this thread with the other one you started at http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/scuba-teens/394673-opinions-bcd-youth-age-12-a.html

When my kids get old enough to dive I will put them into a BP&W - as they grow the only change that I will have to make is to let out some more of the webbing, or buy some more for $20. If I start them out in a smaller wing (#18) for warm water diving and they decide that scuba isn't for them, then I get to keep the smaller wing as my (new) warm-water setup plus I now have a backup backplate that I can use or loan to a friend.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

quero:

Last edited by a moderator:
Zeagle Express Tech is also damn near infinitely adjustable. I had mine on a 13 yr old girl that was maybe 4'10" and 80 lbs. 1/2 hour later on her dad who was 6' 1" and 210. Properly adjusted it fit both just fine. The adjustment took all of 3-5 minutes.

Zeagle Express Tech is also damn near infinitely adjustable. I had mine on a 13 yr old girl that was maybe 4'10" and 80 lbs. 1/2 hour later on her dad who was 6' 1" and 210. Properly adjusted it fit both just fine. The adjustment took all of 3-5 minutes.

+1 on that. I was going to get a Zeagle Ranger jr for my son, until some sage person advised me to get the Zeagle Express Tech, which is much cheaper, and should last him until he is fully grown.

I think we all know there are equipment compromises with a one size fits all approach. Yeah, it might "fit", but is it really as comfortable as something proportioned more closely to someone's exact size?

You might want to check out the DiveRite teen exchange program. When my son was 10 I got him fitted for a DiveRite that was his size. The DiveRite deal was free size upgrades until he was either 16 or 17. Granted DiveRite does cost more up front and may be a better deal for boys or those who are pretty sure their kids are going to grow a fair amount. If the teen grows enough for one size increase you pretty much break even on what would generally be low end BCD prices yet you are using DiveRite gear. If they grow two or more sizes you will definitely be dollars ahead. I haven't taken advantage of that program in a few years now so you would have to check around to verify if DiveRite still offers it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom