Opinions on Dacor's Viper American reg. set?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coztick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am considering these for a travel set if they are a good design and serviceable.
Any first hand experiences?

Tia, Kevin

That is actually a Mares item. They still use the Viper 2nd stage as their (cheapest in the line) Octo MV, virtually unchanged. Works fine, but I would not consider the Viper to be a high performance regulator - more than adequate though.
1st stage is probably a D12, D16, or D20, and those are all still serviceable using standard and available Mares service kits. Same valve inside as the long running MR series, so it can also continue to be upgraded as they change their materials, poppets, etc. over time. I do at least a few "Dacor by Mares" every year. So your real question is how accessible do you find Mares service?

As @JackD342 was getting at, there are just too many other "mainstream" regs available now. The potentially limited service options for Dacor would deter me.

Thanks for the details.
As long as they breathe easy and aren't a poor design or obsolete, I think I'll have a look for $50cad.
Are the parts available to the public or just dealers?
I will service my own gear.

Thanks, Kevin

As @JackD342 was getting at, there are just too many other "mainstream" regs available now. The potentially limited service options for Dacor would deter me.
Well, depends on what you consider mainstream - I would consider Mares to be mainstream - do not think of these as made by Dacor. The D12 & D16 are the same service kit as the current Mares 16/22/32 1st stages. Only the D20 (dual swivel on primary hose) has a dedicated kit, and I think that is just to accommodate a couple of additional O-rings for the added swivel. 2nd stage (are they both Vyper?) is of course same kit as Octo MV. Plus, most 2nd stages that are that old you would have a hard time replacing any non-service kit part, such as a cracked box, but since it is the same as the Octo MV that is not an issue - although if you break that wire mesh on the purge, you may wind up with a plastic yellow replacement if black is no longer available. (I was able to get black once for a customer, but that was NOT in the last couple of years.)

And I just realized your thread title says "Viper American." Where did you get the American part from? I would expect country of origin markings to say Italy, if you can find any. How about attaching some good photos (or a link?) just to be sure?

I would consider Mares to be mainstream - do not think of these as made by Dacor.

True. I suppose I was thinking of Dacor as being rebranded and sold by the West Marine boating supply company.

Even if you can find service kits to do on your own, I suggest getting it to someone experienced and knowledgeable with access to full Mares resources the first time. If this still has the original 1st stage conical seat, it needs to be replaced to work best with newer, harder, (more durable) 1st stage poppets that replaced the valve poppet from that generation. That is the only caution off the top of my head, but if it was on my bench with my books open, there might be another one or two I don't recall right now.

True. I suppose I was thinking of Dacor as being rebranded and sold by the West Marine boating supply company.
I have no definitive source for who is (was?) making those regs for West Marine. But I took a close look at their website, and I am confident that they have no relation to any Mares produced products. That was probably a pure licensing deal, so Mares could keep the Dacor trademark from lapsing. (use it or lose it)

From the photos, I am pretty sure the West Marine Dacor BCD is made by IST, so maybe the same for the regulator. These have also been on close out on their website for months now, so I guess that experiment was short lived. I wonder who is supposed to provide support for those products now? Mares says it is definitely NOT them.

Edit...Link didn't work

"American" written on the second...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom