Opinions on dive gear for someone who wants to get back into diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sicel1304

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

So the last time I dove was this past summer (July 2020) for the PADI refresher course dive which involved me just practicing some skills in a local pool. Before that though, I hadn't dived in over ten years, however I do have my open water, advanced open water, and rescue diver certifications from that time-frame (mid-to-late 2000's). I guess all I'm looking for is opinions regarding my first hypothetical gear set that I've put together for myself.

I know that the local scuba shops around here would prefer I get "their" brand of dive equipment, but I'd like to get a few more third party opinions on what I've selected, if ya'll have the time. Oh by the way, I'm located in land-locked St. Louis, MO, with the nearest diving site being a quarry about an hour away. After that, the closest place to dive is Mermet Springs which is about a three and a half hour drive away. So obviously, most, if not all of my dives will be in freshwater in fairly cool water (we're probably talking about 70 degrees, unless I decide to go deeper, lol). One more thing to mention, is that as of right now, all I plan on doing is recreational diving. No cave/tech diving for me.

Anyway, here's my gear list that I've assembled so far. If I'm missing a recommended piece of gear, feel free to let me know.

1. Wetsuit: 5 mm Henderson Thermaxx in 4XL size (TherMaxx® Men’s Back Zip Jumpsuit • Henderson Aquatics) - I already bought this.

2. Regulator: Sealed first stage Atomic Z3 regulator (Atomic Z3) - Will probably be buying this within the next couple of weeks.

3. Sherwood CG3206 Navigational Console (Sherwood Gauge) - Haven't bought this yet.

4. Sherwood Avid CQR 3 BCD in size 3XL: (Sherwood Avid CQR 3 BCD) - The ONLY reason why I'm looking at buying this BCD is because they make it in size 3XL, and I'm a pretty big guy (I'm around 330 lbs.) If there's any other recommendations for BCD's, I'll gladly listen to them.

5. Atomic Safe Second Inflator: (Atomic Safe Second Inflator (SS1), Stainless Steel) - Haven't bought this yet.

6. Sea Pearls Lead Shot Soft Weights: (Sea Pearls Lead Shot Soft Weights) - Haven't bought this yet.

7. Oceanic Geo 4 dive computer (Oceanic Geo 4.0 Wrist Computer) - I've heard mixed reviews about this computer. Any opinions?

Thanks for your time!

2. not a fan of Huish as an overarching corporation but the regulator is fine
3. just get a plain SPG, far better
4. if you're a big dude, by a backplate and wing. It will fit better and be adjustable if you lose weight. It will also let you take about 8lbs off of your weight belt from the jacket, potentially more in a 3xl size.
5. I don't like Air McDoodles, so I'll refrain from that
6. I much prefer hard lead on a freediving belt.
7. Shearwater Peregrine is $50 more and about 3x as much computer, that's a no brainer, just get the Shearwater

I can't say I've ever used any "bad"
dive gear. For me, some are better
than others but that may be just personal preference. I'm sure you will get a lot of opinions. But the worst you can do is pretty good. Have fun.

Hi all,

So the last time I dove was this past summer (July 2020) for the PADI refresher course dive which involved me just practicing some skills in a local pool. Before that though, I hadn't dived in over ten years, however I do have my open water, advanced open water, and rescue diver certifications from that time-frame (mid-to-late 2000's). I guess all I'm looking for is opinions regarding my first hypothetical gear set that I've put together for myself.

I know that the local scuba shops around here would prefer I get "their" brand of dive equipment, but I'd like to get a few more third party opinions on what I've selected, if ya'll have the time. Oh by the way, I'm located in land-locked St. Louis, MO, with the nearest diving site being a quarry about an hour away. After that, the closest place to dive is Mermet Springs which is about a three and a half hour drive away. So obviously, most, if not all of my dives will be in freshwater in fairly cool water (we're probably talking about 70 degrees, unless I decide to go deeper, lol). One more thing to mention, is that as of right now, all I plan on doing is recreational diving. No cave/tech diving for me.

Anyway, here's my gear list that I've assembled so far. If I'm missing a recommended piece of gear, feel free to let me know.

1. Wetsuit: 5 mm Henderson Thermaxx in 4XL size (TherMaxx® Men’s Back Zip Jumpsuit • Henderson Aquatics) - I already bought this.

2. Regulator: Sealed first stage Atomic Z3 regulator (Atomic Z3) - Will probably be buying this within the next couple of weeks.

3. Sherwood CG3206 Navigational Console (Sherwood Gauge) - Haven't bought this yet.

4. Sherwood Avid CQR 3 BCD in size 3XL: (Sherwood Avid CQR 3 BCD) - The ONLY reason why I'm looking at buying this BCD is because they make it in size 3XL, and I'm a pretty big guy (I'm around 330 lbs.) If there's any other recommendations for BCD's, I'll gladly listen to them.

5. Atomic Safe Second Inflator: (Atomic Safe Second Inflator (SS1), Stainless Steel) - Haven't bought this yet.

6. Sea Pearls Lead Shot Soft Weights: (Sea Pearls Lead Shot Soft Weights) - Haven't bought this yet.

7. Oceanic Geo 4 dive computer (Oceanic Geo 4.0 Wrist Computer) - I've heard mixed reviews about this computer. Any opinions?

Thanks for your time!

Are you planning to go on charters? Most of them provide the tanks and weights, so you don't need to buy the weights. If you plan to be mostly shore diving and you know you will go frequently enough, you may consider picking up tanks too.

I'd recommend just buying a BP/W since it's more adjustable. I'd get a simple SPG and have a wrist mounted compass. Shearwater Peregrine is probably the best value computer as long as you aren't interested in technical diving. I am personally not a fan of Air2 and would just get another second stage.

Ok, I'm sold on the Shearwater Research Peregrine dive watch for sure.

No, I'm not planning on going on charters.

The only thing so far that I don't like about BP/W is that I have to wear a weight belt. I'd rather have the weights in my BCD.

Any recommendations on simple SPG's?

there are options so you don't need to use a belt. trim weight pockets, quick release weight pockets, weighted sta/weight plates, heavy ss plate, etc.

Ok, I'm sold on the Shearwater Research Peregrine dive watch for sure.

No, I'm not planning on going on charters.

The only thing so far that I don't like about BP/W is that I have to wear a weight belt. I'd rather have the weights in my BCD.

Any recommendations on simple SPG's?

I use a BP/W and have quick release integrated weight pockets on my harness. It may not be DIR, but I only do recreational dives, still get all the other advantages of diving a BP/W.

You could pick up a simple SPG with hose for about $70 from DGX.

As others have said, BPW can have ditch-able weigh pockets mounted (in a variety of ways).... but I would recommend renting or borrowing one to try before buying one. I love BPWs and so do both my boys.... my wife on the other hand prefers jacket BCDs. I think it's worth trying before buying on something that big (financially).

Regarding what Tbone refers to as "air mcdoodle"s, that's another personal preference thing. I suggest diving (renting) 3 different configurations before commiting; 1) traditional short primary, long octo. 2) Air mcdoodle (pick your brand). 3) Long primary, necklaced octo.
Option 2 and 3 are both primary donate set-ups... no big deal, but a different process. Try all three in air sharing situations (plan it with your dive buddy at the safety stop, or whenever). I personally use recreational long hose (40" primary, necklaced octo), because it streamlines as well as Air Mcdoodle's, but sucks less when used in anger. But to each their own... figure out what works for you.

Respectfully,

James

Back
Top Bottom