opinions on entry level dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am honestly surprised that 8 replies in no-one has yet tried to convince the OP that what he really needs is a 850 Shearwater Perdix AI or a 1095 Shearwater Teric. That has to be some kind of record and is making me wonder what is going on with this board, is everyone ok? LOL

Just wait, the band will join us shortly.

The current offerings from Oceanic are dated and don't have Bluetooth and required an expensive USB cable.
If and only if you want to download the data from your computer. Perhaps the OP doesn't want to.

If and only if you want to download the data from your computer. Perhaps the OP doesn't want to.

Everything is possible, only him knows.

It seems like each one has its set of problems from the suunto button and depth sensor issue to the cressi display issue to the mares bad battery seal and screen issues..

What Cressi display issue? A Leonardo user would like to know.

Also, if you're aiming for 6-10 dives/year, check out rental prices where you plan to dive and see how many years of rentals you can do for $174.

You are forgetting the two offerings from SP:

1. https://scubapro.johnsonoutdoors.co...uters/aladin-sport-matrix-wrist-dive-computer

2. https://scubapro.johnsonoutdoors.com/computers/wrist-computers/aladin-one-matrix-wrist-dive-computer

The current offerings from Oceanic are dated and don't have Bluetooth and require an expensive USB cable.
You are fond of Scubapro computers, I am not. The Buhlmann ZH-L16 ADT MB decompression algorithm is as conservative as Mares and Cressi. The older Aladin One and Sport, using infrared technology appear to go for more than the $300 limit the OP designated. The newer Aladin One and Sport Matrix are more expensive. My suggestions were within the OP's spending limit. If it weren't for the limit, all the Perdix AI and Teric fans would be here :)

The Buhlmann ZH-L16 ADT MB decompression algorithm is as conservative as Mares and Cressi.
Not according to my experience. Suunto, Mares and Cressi penalize you heavily if you don't go by their rules in repetitive diving. SP computers are middle of the road. The i300C is there with SP's computers.

The newer Aladin One and Sport Matrix are more expensive.
Not by much.

If it weren't for the limit, all the Perdix AI and Teric fans would be here :)

They are about double or more than what the OP wants to spend, not close at all.

Not according to my experience. Suunto, Mares and Cressi penalize you heavily if you don't go by their rules in repetitive diving. SP computers are middle of the road. The i300C is there with SP's computers.

See Buddy Dive's Using Different Algorithms (computers). The link to the raw data from the 2017 ScubaLab testing is in post #16. Mares, Cressi, and Scubapro were most conservative, Suunto, 40/85, and PZ+ were moderate, and DSAT and 45/95 were liberal. These 4 simulated dives had good ascents and reasonable SIs, may not have invoked the wrath of RGBM, but many divers don't either.

See Buddy Dive's Using Different Algorithms (computers). The link to the raw data from the 2017 ScubaLab testing is in post #16. Mares, Cressi, and Scubapro were most conservative, Suunto, 40/85, and PZ+ were moderate, and DSAT and 45/95 were liberal. These 4 simulated dives had good ascents and reasonable SIs, may not have invoked the wrath of RGBM, but many divers don't either.

I don't see from the charts you referenced that SP's computer is more conservative. I see it as "average" with DSAT and PZ+ as extremely "liberal".

You may have better prices, I find the Scubapro Aladin One Matrix for $376 and the Sport Matrix for $423, a bit over the $300 spending limit

"Perhaps" the price for AL in the US is less expensive because they are made in the US but in our region, the prices are very close or almost the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom