Opinions on Mares Quad Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rae HalfTheHill

MSDT/Captain
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey scubaboard,

I recently won a Mares Quad Air computer (computer only, no pod) in a dive shop raffle. I'm looking to hear anyone's opinions or experiences with this computer. I currently dive with a Cressi Leonardo, and love the simplicity of that computer. Is the Mares as user friendly? Thanks in advance to any replies!

Not sure if you have had a chance to use the Quad since you posted this, if so I hoped it worked out. I can tell you I have used the Mares Smart Air watch style computer for a dozen or so dives now and I like it but I don't love it. I do mostly cold water diving in Ohio and gloves definitely present a dexterity issue. I am leaning towards moving on to the Aqualung i770r but my LDS is trying to talk my into the Quad Air. His argument is that it is less limited than the i770r in terms of more technical aspects, but I don't do much of that type of diving anyway. I am also not impressed with Mares software- compared to AL which is extremely user friendly and the app is great.

Let me know your thoughts on the Quad

My wife and I have been using Quad Airs for a couple of years (about 100 - 120 dives total) and like them. Before the Quads, we had a series of Pro Plus 2s, Cobras, a Nemo Wide and an IST 3000. The Nemo Wide is an early version of the Quad. I really should have kept it because it worked perfectly, was easy to read, and it was rugged. These are all the same characteristics of the Quad. I used to download my dive data and the Nemo Wide was new at the time and the download cable was not yet available so I switched computers.

We dive cool water in the Pacific Northwest and warm water in the Spring and Fall. They have worked well and are holding up well. In the northwest, a lot of divers are putting the transmitters on 6-inch hoses to keep the BCD bladder/wing from pushing on it. We both had to replace the transmitters (under warranty) before we added the hoses. My wife downloads her dive information and likes it.

My wife and I have been using Quad Airs for a couple of years (about 100 - 120 dives total) and like them. Before the Quads, we had a series of Pro Plus 2s, Cobras, a Nemo Wide and an IST 3000. The Nemo Wide is an early version of the Quad. I really should have kept it because it worked perfectly, was easy to read, and it was rugged. These are all the same characteristics of the Quad. I used to download my dive data and the Nemo Wide was new at the time and the download cable was not yet available so I switched computers.

We dive cool water in the Pacific Northwest and warm water in the Spring and Fall. They have worked well and are holding up well. In the northwest, a lot of divers are putting the transmitters on 6-inch hoses to keep the BCD bladder/wing from pushing on it. We both had to replace the transmitters (under warranty) before we added the hoses. My wife downloads her dive information and likes it.
Are there any issues with the strap on the Quad Air?

I have used the Quad (the not-AI version) for roughly 90 dives in a variety of conditions, dry and wet. The strap is easily removed and replaced with bungee. I actually prefer using the strap on my drysuit, as it's easier to put on one-handed. The included strap is plenty long for a drysuit sleeve, and it's pretty beefy. I haven't had any issues either way. It's a great computer for the price.

Hey there, my partner and I both have the Mares Quad Air + transmitter, too. Had it a little longer than you. My general experience with it has been fine/positive, although I don't have a lot to compare it against. The large screen is easy to read and navigating through the screens has become pretty natural. I keep meaning to take advantage of the software to keep a digital dive log, but I haven't done it---mainly because I'm lazy and also because I like the tactile feeling of keeping a written log.

The two units have held up pretty well, although the first time we replaced the batteries (in Mexico, probably unrelated), the date setting seem to get permanently screwed up. We took them to our LDS and Mares sent us back totally new computers and transmitters---which was great customer service, but it was also like, jeez, you guys can't fix this overall minor issue? My partner also had a recent weird glitch where she definitely had over 1000 psi in her tank when she surfaced, but the transmitter was blinking red (which is supposed to mean you're below the 750 psi tank reserve), and the computer registered no data at all for the ending psi. Did some troubleshooting with the LDS with ultimately no clear answers as to what happened. But so far, it hasn't happened again (and we dive with back up computers and SPGs), so....?

Overall verdict: I don't regret buying it, but I would probably opt for of one of the other currently top-rated AI models if I had to buy another computer today.

Hello, hello--I'm technically inept, so I haven't figured out how to simply post a link to it, but I just posted the above brief review in response to another post. Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom