Opinions on older HP80?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishmunger

Contributor
Reaction score
I am considering picking up a used HP80 (in hydro). It's an '89 and I think it might be a pressed steel, it has a sherwood 6300 din valve (that angled back one). It's galvanized and looks pretty nice. I was wondering:

1) What's the current deal with the exemption on PST tanks, should I avoid it?
2) Is there anything stopping me from changing out the DIN for a YOKE valve? All of my other tanks have yoke and I don't want to swap around. Do you think I'd have any problems putting a yoke on it and just having it filled to only 3000 psi (~70cu/ft gas)?
3) Presuming it is a PST, I've searched and found 2 sets of buoyancy traits. -3 empty and -1 empty, anyone know the true stats?

any other advice would be appreciated. thanks

Nate

Hi Fishmunger

There was a release a while back that the surviving PST operation would take care of the exemption paper work in time. The fall back is a personal request for one. In general the consensus seems to be that they will continue to be usable. I have 6 and I'm sleeping nights :)

If you have the older PST HP Steels they probably have the small necks with a 7/8" machine screw thread and have a stamped pressure rating of 3500 PSI. These are true HP cylinders and as such can not be fitted with a yoke connection. As an 89 I believe this has to be what you have.

The next generation known as the E series are rated at 3442 PSI, just a few atmospheres below the 3500 PSI threshold. These have the more common larger 3/4" Pipe thread. Being under 3500 PSI you find these equipped with the Thermo-Pro valve which will do yoke and DIN duty.

Based on this chart I believe you have an empty buoyancy rating of 3.3 pounds. My E7-80s are -2.5 pounds.

Pete

Edit: removed post because the post refered to in Post 8 clears things up. Thanks.

I believe what Spectrum meant is that the outside of the tank looks much narrower than a regular tank, like it has a small longer neck. I cant speak of the thread size but I have seen the long thin necks on "real" HP tanks (3500psi instead of 3442)

The 7/8 thread is a 7/8 machine thread. This means that the fitting that screws into it is essentially 7/8 in diameter and the hole is tapped to match

The more common 3/4 thread is a pipe thread. Being a pipe thread the male thread that is on the valve it is a thread that would be on the outside of a threaded pipe that has an inside diameter of trade size 3/4.

Since the 3/4 pipe thread is based on an inside pipe dimension whereas the 7/8 is actual the 3/4 is physically larger. In short they are 2 distinctly different thread families.

If you dig back far enough you can find a post where I made the same incredulous remark.

Pete

the neck on this tank definitely looks narrower than normal. It's not a pipe thread or anything. So I take it this is a different size then?

Nate

In fact here is my faux pas. The power of searching!

Pete

cool stuff, so now the question is: any way to put a yoke valve on that tank? If not, I think I'm gonna pass...

thanks Spectrum

Nate

fishmunger:
cool stuff, so now the question is: any way to put a yoke valve on that tank? If not, I think I'm gonna pass...

Not to my knowledge and if there is a way to physically do it then it would not be on the up & up.

Pete

Edit, If you want I will do my best to keep them utilized for you. :)

Back
Top Bottom