Opinions on OxyCheq Expedition Carbon Monoxide analyzer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took the plunge and ordered the OxyCheq CO analyzer and bc flow restrictor. The thing ain't cheap, but it'll pay for itself the first time I don't die because it told me I had a bad tank. :) Will post a review after I've had a chance to use it 'in the field' a few weeks from now.

Just got back from a 30 dive trip in Cozumel, and I used the OxyCheq CO analyzer (~$400) on every tank. It was super easy to use and I'm really happy with the purchase.

The test procedure with the flow restrictor ($30 addon) is as simple as can be. The flow restrictor screws onto the sensor port on the analyzer, then you hook the other end up to your BCD inflator hose. Flip the power on and wait a couple seconds until the initial reading shows, then open the tank valve. Wait a few more seconds and watch the readout as the gas flows. Done. Close the valve, purge, disconnect. Takes less than a minute for the whole process.

My only minor complaint is that the included carrying case isn't deep enough to leave the flow restrictor attached to the analyzer. So screwing the restrictor on and off the analyzer for every test is an unnecessary time sink and exposes the sensor to potential splashing. A different case will solve that problem for my next trip.

I found most AL80 air tanks in Cozumel to be in the 3-5ppm range, which is the same as the ambient reading in my home. The highest I saw was a couple of tanks of nitrox that measured 7ppm.

A few other divers throughout the two week trip were very interested in what I was doing when I would bust out the analyzer. I hope I was able to educate a few on a subject they probably hadn't thought much about!

Having this device is great peace of mind, and in my opinion was an absolute must to purchase and get familiar with before my first liveaboard trip. I give it two thumbs up.

I'm very interested in this sensor, but they are currently "OUT OF STOCK DUE TO SUPPLY CHAIN ISSUES" according to the website.

I called their phone number, and Patrick told me that he is expecting the out of stock TI chips he needs to be shipped soon. I plan to do a bit of travel diving and don't want to die (from something that is preventable with checking the CO level).

Back
Top Bottom