Opinions on potential BP/W setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mndiv

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Everyone!

I posted in this forum a few days ago trying to get a better idea of what exactly I need to set up an effective, first BP/W setup, and after doing a decent amount of research, I was hoping to get some (constructive) feedback on the combination I'm leaning towards at the moment. As a little background, I'm about 6'1", 167lbs and 95% of my diving thus far has been freshwater diving throughout the midwest, although I will be in North Carolina this summer. I usually dive dry with an undergarment and currently carry 28lbs with a single AL80 tank. I am looking for a setup which is cost-effective, and gives me the option of potentially playing around with some doubles in the future (I am aware this won't be the last BP/W setup I'll ever need):
  • Wing: Dive Rite REC EXP Wing (Dive Rite Rec EXP Wing - BackPlates & Wings - Scuba Equipment Dive Gear Best Prices). I've done some reading, so before I get torn apart for using a wing that's ok at both doubles and singles, but good at neither, keep in mind I am a college student at the moment. I don't have the cash to get a different wing for every setup, so I figured it would be best to get a wing that allows me to get comfortable with a BP/W setup and gives me the option to dive singles and doubles (if I use doubles they would most likely be AL80's). I looked at a lot of other wings from many companies such as DGX, DSS, HOG, etc. but none seemed as suitable to diving both singles and doubles as the Rec EXP (with clips to prevent the wing from wrapping around the tank).
  • BP & Harness: DRIS HOG Package (Plate + Harness + STA Package-Stainless Steel - Dive Right in Scuba). This package seemed ideal to me because it comes with an STA, has the option to swap in a SS backplate for my case, plus I've used HOG/Edge gear before and I'm a big fan.
  • Weight: This is where I'm a little unsure; I know the SS backplate will deduct around 6lbs of weight; I was thinking for the rest I would get 2 larger 10lb ditchable pockets which thread onto the harness (such as these: Quick Drop Weight Pocket-LG - Dive Right in Scuba) and if I needed more I would thread a Dive Rite trim weight pocket or two (Travel Weight Pocket with Locking Attachment - Dive Right in Scuba) onto the cam bands. Does this sound reasonable? I liked the idea of being able to shift the trim weights to either upper or lower cam band depending on necessity. Also, how much does an STA add in terms of weight by itself? I'm wondering if it's negligible or if it may help me shave a few lbs. of my waist.
I think the only other item I would need are a pair of cam bands which seem pretty universal. Found some cheap ones on DGX so I'll probably go with those. Cumulatively, this setup costs around $670.

Like I said, I'm just looking for some input on this setup, and some advice about where/how I should place the weight :)

Cheers!

Last edited:
DRIS is my local shop. :) Can't go wrong with them.

Your weight needs are very similar to mine. I need 18-20 lbs on top of 6 lb back plate. I also dive dry.

Those Hog quick drop weight pockets work just fine. I've had up to 10 lbs in each pocket (which they're rated to carry).I have them on my DRIS BP/W with a Hollis Elite 2 harness and the 28 lb wing, SS plate. Cam band pockets are good for the rest of the weight you need.

I had issues with the Hollis harness, so I've moved to a Halcyon Infinity 40 which I won at an event. The Halcyon pockets only hold 5 lbs each, so I got the weighted STA insert, which is 5 lbs. I have cam band pockets for the rest of my weight. I've only tried it once in a pool with the weight spread out like this, but it seems to work so far.

There are different STA's, but they do add a lb or two that you can take off your waist (I have both Halcyon and DiveRite STAs -- the Halcyon is heavier).

I've threaded a couple of XSscuba weight pockets high on my shoulder straps, held in place by plastic tri-glides, so they ride just back of my shoulders when I'm diving. I put a 1 or 2 lb weight in each for trim, to counterbalance the ditchable waist weight. Just make sure your rig is still neutral or slightly positive with this weight since it's not ditchable (neither is cam band weight, so same caution applies).

Hi Everyone!

• Wing: Dive Rite REC EXP Wing (Dive Rite Rec EXP Wing - BackPlates & Wings - Scuba Equipment Dive Gear Best Prices). I've done some reading, so before I get torn apart for using a wing that's ok at both doubles and singles, but good at neither, keep in mind I am a college student at the moment. I don't have the cash to get a different wing for every setup, so I figured it would be best to get a wing that allows me to get comfortable with a BP/W setup and gives me the option to dive singles and doubles (if I use doubles they would most likely be AL80's).
I strongly advise you to get a wing for single tanks if that's what you are diving. Then later on you can get a doubles wing. There simply is no wing that's ok for both doubles and single tanks. For double tanks, you need a wing that's wide enough to get around both tanks. By design, this means that a wing supposedly for both is really for doubles, and has some cludgy work-around to make it sort-of work for a single tank. I know you've done some reading, but those of us advising against this have done lots of actual diving with both single and double tank wings, and are speaking from experience.

But, if you really want a rec wing, I have a friend who lives in Minny that has one he bought, on the advice of a salesman at a local shop a year or two back, and he has never used it. He was basically given a line of BS at the shop when they told him his oxycheq single tank wing was not fixable. I'm sure he would be happy to sell the rec wing at a very good price. If you're interested, PM me and I'll put you in touch with him.

I realize you're trying to save money, that's a great thing to do, and you're also heading to a BP/W, another great thing. FWIW, there are always lots of good deals on used doubles wings, there's just no need to screw up a single tank rig by trying to make the wing do something it's not designed to do. You won't end up saving any money in the end.

A DR Rec EXP wing has been my main wing for about a year now. I ditched the bungees before I ever got it wet. I like it a lot! I mainly use it for diving dry, with a SS BP, and double steel 120s. I have never used it with a single tank and wouldn't ever. But, that's an easy call for me as I have a single tank wing. Also, I have never used it with 8" doubles. I think it may be too narrow to achieve full inflation if used with 8" cylinders (but I've never even tried).

I saw your other thread where you mentioned having some integrated BCD now. I would suggest to continue using that for single tank diving, if you buy a double tank wing as part of your BP/W setup.

If you really want to ditch the integrated BCD and go to a BP/W now, but you're not going to doubles right away, then I totally agree with the other posters. Get a single tank wing for now. Watch the Classifieds here and watch eBay and it won't take you long to find a good doubles wing for cheap compared to buying brand new.

For single tank diving, I started off with regular cam bands. Then I got some Highlands (XS Scuba?) Quick Release tank straps and hated them. Then I got the DGX ScubaPro-style Quick Release tank straps and love them! And they're pretty inexpensive.

DGX Tank Strap, Quick Release with S/S Hinge Buckle

I have several back plates. 2 DSS (1 SS and 1 Kydex) and a Blue Reef SS BP. I got the BR SS BP on sale from LeisurePro for $50. It is now my dedicated doubles BP. It's got more bend to it than the DSS plates, which are flatter. But, for doubles, that deeper bend just nestles a little further into the gap between the tanks. For doubles, I wouldn't spend any more money than that, if I could get a Blue Reef SS plate. But, the BR plate would not be my first choice for singles, for the same reason. Being less flat means it would put a single tank further out away from my body.

I have never needed an STA. I would just make sure you get a BP with slots for cam bands, and a wing that has slots or holes for the cam bands to go through and go without an STA. At least until you try it. If you try it and decide you do want an STA to make the tank more stable, I would consider the OMS Soft STA for $15.

OMS Soft STA Stabilizing Adapter

Or the SS one for $25.

DGX Premium Single Tank Adapter {11.75 in | 30 cm}

Last, you should not need ditchable weight. With proper weighting, you should be able to swim a single tank rig up from the bottom easily. For weights, I like the DGX trim weight pockets.

DGX Gears Trim Weight Pocket (each)

$10 each. And if you need to dump weight, you can just open and them take the weight out (if you wear them where they're reachable). I would just put a couple of these on my tank straps, for getting my trim right or if I didn't need more than 10 # of weight. Any additional weight and I would just use a separate weight belt. Which, by the way, you don't need to buy. Use some leftover 2" webbing from after you rig your harness and a regular buckle to make your own.

$4 - S/S Quick-Release Buckle, Heavy Duty, {2 in | 5.1 cm}

Or, I have these on all my BPs and my weight belt:

$12 - Amazon.com : XS Scuba Clear-Path Buckle : Sports & Outdoors

I had shiny buckles like the first one. I had too many occasions of barracuda showing a strong interest. After I changed to the black glass-filled nylon buckles, I've had no more curious barracuda. DGX has a matte finish OMS buckle that would also alleviate the "shiny" issue, but at $15 they are more than the XS Scuba buckle, so I wouldn't bother. The XS Scuba buckles are awesome.

Since you're a poor college student, if it were me, I would get:

$70 - BR SS BP

$12 - XS Scuba buckle

$40 - 2 x DGX SP-style tank straps

$12 - 15' 2" webbing (from DGX)

$19 - 2" Dive Rite crotch strap (from DGX)

$10 - approximately, for D-rings and tri-slides (from DGX)*

$20 - 2 x DGX trim weight pouches

That's $183 for a complete SS BP and harness, ready to dive (including tank straps and weight pouches). With a harness that is a lot nicer than the basic standard harnesses that come in most any package deal. If you're comparison shopping, take out the tank straps and weight pouches and that's a complete SS BP with harness for $123!

$300 for a Hog 32# wing from DRiS and you're all set for single tank. For under $500. If you were going to using it for warmer water, without the drysuit and all that weight, I would suggest the DGX Gears 25# wing, for $200, but I don't think it's enough lift for what you described.

Then just watch the Classifieds, eBay, and maybe even look for Christmas sales and pick up a doubles wing.

*I would get rigid and/or bent D-rings for waist and chest, like these:

https://www.divegearexpress.com/d-ring-w-bend-2-in-51-cm-s-s

https://www.divegearexpress.com/rigid-d-ring-w-bend-on-slide-s-s

https://www.divegearexpress.com/rigid-d-ring-perpendicular-on-slide-s-s

They are a lot nicer when trying to clip stuff on when you can't see, compared to normal floppy D-rings.

Last edited:
deleted double post

My personal thought on the wing situation would be buy what is right for your diving now ie the single tank wing and keep an eye out on fleabay, craigslist etc and buy a second hand doubles wing as and when you find you want to move to doubles. Wings tend to crop up with amazing regularity and at decent pretty prices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom