Opinions on Salvos as DIR lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BarryNL

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm considering getting a Salvo - probably the Rebel 21W HID + the 15.6Ah Li-ion battery pack. Does anyone have experience with these lights and are they suitable for all aspects of DIR diving (particularly effective signalling)? TIA.

Absolutely...the HID light heads on these lights are all virtually the same (among several manufacturers)...They allow focus of the light to be varied.

a 21 watt is definitely adequate for reasonable daylight signally, and of course night.

Now the political "correctness" of various makers is another story..

Does anyone have experience with these lights and are they suitable for all aspects of DIR diving (particularly effective signalling)? TIA.

I have an older Salvo light (9A NiMH 18W later upgraded to 15.6 Li-Ion 18W with drylid) and have been quite happy with it. There were some problems (early on, some due to my own "operator error") but Salvo took care of those immediately and they are extremely fast (I live in Thailand and Salvo is located in Florida) and helpful.

Yes the lights are "suitable for all aspects of DIR diving," politics aside...

Barry Miller designed the first generation EE/Halcyon Halogen and HID lights (and the first gen Rat/Scout back ups) so he does know a thing or two about dive lights. Excellent customer service is another Salvo plus.

Just picked up a 21w Havoc from Diveseekers.com (Salvo Lights at Diveseekers.com) and love it. Upgrading from a 10w the difference is of course night and day. For wreck diving here in the Northeast it's great. I got the 10.4A battery. The canister is imperceptibly wider than my old DiveRite "slimline" and not much longer.

The free shipping in US was nice, even though they are only a few miles from me. (Full disclosure - they ARE my favorite LDS) I'm not sure they'll ship free to the Netherlands, but you can certainly ask...

:D

I'm considering getting a Salvo - probably the Rebel 21W HID + the 15.6Ah Li-ion battery pack. Does anyone have experience with these lights and are they suitable for all aspects of DIR diving (particularly effective signalling)? TIA.
The owner of salvo made the original halcyon lights.

Salvo's lights are good, and their service is even better.

Politics aside, Salvo lights are excellent lights. At least half the DIR divers I know have them. And Salvo's customer service is absolutely awesome. That said, I hate the Anderson connectors used to connect the battery to the lighthead. They are a significant failure point. (Note that these connectors are used in other lights as well.) Halcyon has a new light with a much more robust connector, but it obligates you to use their battery, and may leave you with no ability to swap batteries out within a team, unless everyone buys one.

Barry made some good stuff prior to Halcyon and while there. I can't comment on the quality of the Salvo stuff and lets not turn this into a flame war. But, those of us that actually know the Halcyon guys personally have a problem with his gear because of this CDNN :: Salvo Diving owner Barry Miller sentenced to one year in prison for grand theft.

By saying what your saying, and posting the link you did, contrary to your claims in not trying to start a flaming war, you really are trying to start one off....

This is a VERY OLD and long dead story . I think you should just let it go...

Politics aside, Salvo lights are excellent lights. At least half the DIR divers I know have them. And Salvo's customer service is absolutely awesome. That said, I hate the Anderson connectors used to connect the battery to the lighthead. They are a significant failure point. (Note that these connectors are used in other lights as well.) Halcyon has a new light with a much more robust connector, but it obligates you to use their battery, and may leave you with no ability to swap batteries out within a team, unless everyone buys one.

I did notice that you can get the Salvo lights with EO connectors for an extra 75 euros - I assume this fixes the problem?

By the way (to those who have mentioned it), apart from JJ and Barry probably no-one knows the truth of the theft issue so let's not go there.

I did notice that you can get the Salvo lights with EO connectors for an extra 75 euros - I assume this fixes the problem?

EO connectors do not solve the problem that Lynn mentioned.

They are for swapping light heads underwater.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom