Opinions on XDeep NX wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you happen to know if the XDeep NX is considered GUE compliant? It's pretty much DIR philosophy, but the Y shaped crotch strap and location of rear D rings is different...

I guess that depends on who is doing the considering. There isn't really such a thing as 'DIR compliant'. There is compliance to standards for specific agency courses... GUE, UTD etc. You'd need to ask directly whether the Y-shaped crotch strap infringed on those specific standards. That said, I've never seen a standard relating specifically to crotch straps.

I guess that depends on who is doing the considering. There isn't really such a thing as 'DIR compliant'. There is compliance to standards for specific agency courses... GUE, UTD etc. You'd need to ask directly whether the Y-shaped crotch strap infringed on those specific standards. That said, I've never seen a standard relating specifically to crotch straps.
Sorry to hijack this post but Andy, I was wondering if there was any information on your blog or on SB on how I can get that trim with the stage/deco bottle on my side?

I am interested in tech diving, not caves though and I am doing my first tech course in a few months but I was doing some reading on whether I could figure out my main harness/bcd equipment beforehand so atleast I have that comfort zone of learning on my own stuff.

I had narrowed it down to Hollis SMS 75 or 100 but they are too sidemount inclined.

The xdeep Project looks like something which would be more perfect for my requirement. Unless you have some other suggestions for the same purpose.

Just an FYI, I would not recommend buying an XDEEP NX Project wing and using it with a traditional backplate for warranty reasons. I have been using one with a classic plate, and recently came across a broken zipper after disassembling my gear post dive. I did not get much help from the dealer, so I contacted the manufacturer. They told me they cannot warranty it because I was not using their custom shaped backplate and the "plate from a different manufacturer contributed to the problem". It may be an incompatibility issue, but could well just be poor customer support related to warranty. They do sell the wing separate from the complete system, so there is really no way to know that unless you come across an issue like I did.

Just an FYI, I would not recommend buying an XDEEP NX Project wing and using it with a traditional backplate for warranty reasons. I have been using one with a classic plate, and recently came across a broken zipper after disassembling my gear post dive. I did not get much help from the dealer, so I contacted the manufacturer. They told me they cannot warranty it because I was not using their custom shaped backplate and the "plate from a different manufacturer contributed to the problem". It may be an incompatibility issue, but could well just be poor customer support related to warranty. They do sell the wing separate from the complete system, so there is really no way to know that unless you come across an issue like I did.

After further communication with them, they did offer to fix it for free and cover all international shipping to and from Europe, so that is good news. They did emphasize though that the user, when using a plate other than their custom plate, has to be extra careful about where each component of the wing is located to avoid unexpected external damage like that.

I think they've shaped the wing really well. It doesn't feel 'draggier' at all compared to my 40lb Evolve.

They also really minimised the tube at the top.. combined with the flexible/soft inflator-join assembly, it really frees up a lot of space behind the neck, improving trim (neck angle) and promoting easy access to the valves.

So @DevonDiver you did not have any trim adjustment issues at all when switching to the NX from an Evolve 40? Wondering about the reduced lift in the valve area.

I do use an NX wing at the moment and, as I tend to be very head heavy, I have the tanks sitting way down to be able to trim properly. I am curious about the Halcyon wing, in case it would make any positive difference in my situation.

So @DevonDiver you did not have any trim adjustment issues at all when switching to the NX from an Evolve 40? Wondering about the reduced lift in the valve area.

I do use an NX wing at the moment and, as I tend to be very head heavy, I have the tanks sitting way down to be able to trim properly. I am curious about the Halcyon wing, in case it would make any positive difference in my situation.
Hello @ahcalde,

I have the same head heavy problem with the XDeep Zen Wing, with a steel tank (HP117). Like you, I lower the tank as much as possible and even added a trim pocket on my crotch strap. Before I replace the wing to a different geometry (XDeep Zeos/Halcyon), I will appreciate you feedback on how did you solve the issue.

Thank you,
Eli

Hello @ahcalde,

I have the same head heavy problem with the XDeep Zen Wing, with a steel tank (HP117). Like you, I lower the tank as much as possible and even added a trim pocket on my crotch strap. Before I replace the wing to a different geometry (XDeep Zeos/Halcyon), I will appreciate you feedback on how did you solve the issue.

Thank you,
Eli
@Ilja Berin my issue was in the context of diving doubles. I eventually fixed it mainly by lowering the tanks down quite a bit. My waist strap pretty much sits like a belt so you can imagine it's way down there. Also, I no longer have an NX Project wing. I switched to the Hydros 40 (xdeep). I don't have experience with the NX wing for singles, but I don't recommend it for diving doubles. Mainly because they basically got rid of the "top" of the wing and that is where I mostly need buoyancy. It's also not 100% compatible with a classic backplate. The zipper gets squeezed between the plate and the tanks. I had a zipper break once and had a hard time making xdeep fix it for free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom