Opinions regarding diving at Apo reef, Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrosenc

New
Reaction score
I have booked a trip to the Philippines in March, first travelling to Palawan. As I have been already two times to Philippines I have checked out some places already and now would like to dive Apo Reef, however there were no liveaboards that I could find that had vacant spots, so I was thinking about flying to San Jose and from there travel to Sablayan to be able to dive Apo Reef, but from what I can find out, Sablayan does not offer very much except Apo Reef, therefore I would like to know if someone have any opinions regarding if there hassle going there is worth it? how is the diving there compared to other places in the Philippines? anything at all to do in Sablayan except waiting for the next boat to Apo Reef? Looking forward to any input.

Thank you. :clearmask:

Martin

1. Are you prepare to travel long distance everyday?
2. What is the rate if you are the only person that wants to go there?
3. I am pretty sure you can find other things to do on Pandan Island Resort.
I have been to Apo Reef on several occasions but always on a liveaboard. Diving is pretty good and this is one of the few places in the country where sharks(white tip) are usually spotted.
The daily flight from Manila to San Jose makes the travelling a lot quicker. If you have the time and inclination then why not.

Thanks for the reply, I have already figured out that it should probably be more big pelagic fish there than most places in the Philippines considering the location out in the open sea, might be worth it after all, instead of going to Batangas/Verde Island :)

1. I've been in contact with two operators, both of them offered overnight trips, sleeping in tents or on a banga.
2. We are two persons travelling together, the offered rate is although quite extreme compared to other places in the Philippines.
3. Yeah the flight to San Jose was the option we were thinking of, and perhaps taking the road Abra de ilog-Puerto Galera back to Manila, to be able to see some of Puerto Galera and perhaps do some diving there as well.

and perhaps taking the road Abra de ilog-Puerto Galera back to Manila, to be able to see some of Puerto Galera and perhaps do some diving there as well.
You should if you still have any time left. And if you are lucky then you might even spot thresher shark as well!

Hi Martin,
What dates are you interested in going?, we run trips to Apo Reef and might be able to help you. We depart from White Beach, Puerto Galera.

Hi Martin,
What dates are you interested in going?, we run trips to Apo Reef and might be able to help you. We depart from White Beach, Puerto Galera.

Thank you for your reply! I have unfortunately already contacted you before regarding the availability, the dates would be around 24,25 or 26th of March. But thank you anyway for your hospitality! :)

Martin

Hi Martin,

I have another question regarding the diving at Apo Reef, do you know if the road between Abra de Ilog and Puerto Galera is finished and if it is possible to travel from Abra de Ilog to Puerto Galera by bus? looking forward to your reply :)

The road is not yet completed but you can take a ferry from Batangas to Abra de llog. I don't think its possible to travel by bus from PG either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom