Optimized Dysuit Zipper Handle (esp. Waterproof!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andre171

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, the simple zipper handle from Waterproof (just a small ribbon loop) su*ks.

My easy DIY handle (after some iterations):
Line with a piece of old LP hose - good grip, hides under the protection zipper.
IMG_20240303_173429~2.jpg

Maybe some inspiration for others...

Have save dives 😀

Ingenious!!

I was fretting over this exact issue -- I got a D1 hybrid and self-donning is dauntingly impossible (so it seems - pun unintended); is yours a back entry aswell by any chance?

Line with a piece of old LP hose - good grip, hides under the protection zipper.
Nice DIY tip !

Self donning is not possoble. A new zipper is a pain to do... so better avoiding the risk. Or does have someone good expierience and tipps?

The cords do look so nice. Seems also nice for zipper pockets. But, how is it done or named?

Self donning is not possoble. A new zipper is a pain to do... so better avoiding the risk. Or does have someone good expierience and tipps?

The cords do look so nice. Seems also nice for zipper pockets. But, how is it done or named?
It's called a cobra braid or something like that. I did mine a bit different as I needed a thicker pull. Looking at the braid you can see the gold cord run down the middle. That set my overall length AND added thickness. I then did the cobra braid starting at the zipper and running towards the knot. The original pull is tightly held in place without any twists or folds. I did the same for my zip cover.

For pockets I went simple. I can find this knot with thick dry gloves and liners. The pull is only on the rear zipper pull so when it is forward the zip is closed.
20230509_151320.jpg

Edit: burn the ends of 550 and add super glue to keep them in place.

If you want to go down the paracord rabbithole, there a 1000 tutorials on YouTube on how to tie a monkeys fist, I like making these for my zipper pockets, but I really like Andre's idea for the dry zip, nice and clean!

1000005710.jpg

When I had a rear zipper I tied a surfer leash and was able to open and close the suit by myself.
1710289836740.png

For self closing I am afraid of...
1) too much force and ripping teeth off
2) catching fabric between teeths

Opening is easy with a leash. Can be attached with a boltsnap to the zipper's handle.

Save self closing would be wunderfull... but the rear entry zipper does also have advantages.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom