Option for weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

East West

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I would like to ask what options are there to attach ballast while using a backplate wing type B. C. I know about pouch bags but have not heard of other methods . I asked this question before and got a reply to use a regular weight belt on the waist. I think that is dead wrong but correct me if it is acceptable . I was going 50% ratio detachable weighs for my gear intensive working dives . I hope to learn Hogarthian methods and use the duct tape less . Thankyou

A weight belt is just fine (steel buckle, thats important), as are small weights on the cam straps, and v-weights. The key to it all is to have a balanced rig.

Be able to swim it all up when the tanks are full, and stay at 10ft when they're empty. If you can't swim it up, make enough of your weight ditchable so that you can swim up.

If you can't do that (think steels with a wetsuit), then change your exposure protection (more buoyant drysuit/undies) or change your tanks (lighter doubles, like al80s). Al80s plus a stage roughly equals steel 104s gas wise, but its a helluva lot easier to swim up if you're diving wet.

My question is the backplate waist strap and the weight belt strap are in the same location which looks like a problem . I have a friend with limited use of one hand and convinced him to buy a wing and backplate , his weight belt was around his knees minutes into the first dive .

Like any weight belt, it has to be positioned properly and tightened enough so it doesn't fall.

Does your friend have a waist that "has no hips"? I guess that would be no waist, either.

Folks without a waist/hips indeed usually do have a problem with standard weight belts. I've taught quite a folks with this problem.

There's only three solutions I know of:

1) See if you can craft a carefully balanced rig that has no ditchable weight. Usually, it's only possible with a very narrow set of equipment. I do some mentoring, and one thing I do to teach balanced rigs, is have folks swim up a series of weight belts. I consider myself in great shape and use heavy, high-thrust paddle fins: I can swim up 10 lbs easily; 20 lbs for unlimited distances with a huge RMV; and 30 lbs only for a short burst of 15 feet.

2) DUI makes a "weight belt with suspenders" they call a Weight System or something like that. Here's what it looks like:
dui_weight_trim_2.jpg

3) You can attach integrated weights to the plate. Halcyon makes these. Apeks does, too, and their system, although nicer and easier to use, is a PITA to install, let alone find from a dealer.
171387037646bca75a04ac3-380x317.jpg

images

Hope this helps - the problem is more common than you might think.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom