OPV Repair on old Halcyon Pioneer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dave22387

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So I was doing my ritualistic pre-dive checks and noticed my OPV was leaking. When I checked to ensure it was screwed on tight the whole thing basically separated from the BC. It seems that the pioneer is a one-piece shell and does not have an internal separate bladder. Is this something that can be repaired? Or given that this wing is almost 20 years old should I junk it? There is no way that I know of to access the inside of this wing. Please let me know what you think.

View media item 206439
20181017-113252.jpg" alt="20181017-113252" border="0">

edKj6L
kynFD0

I've fixed what looks like a similar issue by disassembling the flange and recentering it in the hole.

Nothing "ripped" just pulled off centre. Tighten the gasket down good... if you want to make it a little more permanent suppose you could use your favourite adhesive. I didn't and a couple hundred dives later friends are still diving it. No leaks.

I would contact Corey at Halcyon and see if they can help you out. He just took care of my OPV on a wing that is technically out of warranty. Great customer service.

Corey Smith
Manager of Technical Services
386.454.0811 ext. 307
techservices@halcyon.net

I've fixed what looks like a similar issue by disassembling the flange and recentering it in the hole.

Nothing "ripped" just pulled off centre. Tighten the gasket down good... if you want to make it a little more permanent suppose you could use your favourite adhesive. I didn't and a couple hundred dives later friends are still diving it. No leaks.

Ya it definitely did break... It seems that the opv isn't a compression fitting with an inside gasket like some other brands. It seems that the inside flange of the OPV is "welded" to the wing somehow. Check out the pics below

20181017-192422.jpg

20181017-192453.jpg

20181017-192410.jpg

Ya it definitely did break... It seems that the opv isn't a compression fitting with an inside gasket like some other brands. It seems that the inside flange of the OPV is "welded" to the wing somehow. Check out the pics below

View attachment 484823
View attachment 484824
View attachment 484825

Oh! I was way off base. Disregard the suggestion, I don't know how to fix that adhesive style attachment.

One last guess at being helful:
Would anything stop you from purchasing another design and fitting the flange style into the hole left by the glued on type?

(I think the advice and contact info above is your best bet.)

Cameron

Oh! I was way off base. Disregard the suggestion, I don't know how to fix that adhesive style attachment.

One last guess at being helful:
Would anything stop you from purchasing another design and fitting the flange style into the hole left by the glued on type?

(I think the advice and contact info above is your best bet.)

Cameron

It is a sealed wing so I can't access the inside to install the new OPV. I don't believe I would be able to fit the flange that's larger than the hole through the whole. I will contact Corey (thanks @kgdiver) considering the wing is almost 20 years old I am starting to believe it is just time for a new wing... This one has certainly paid for itself.

It is a sealed wing so I can't access the inside to install the new OPV. I don't believe I would be able to fit the flange that's larger than the hole through the whole. I will contact Corey (thanks @kgdiver) considering the wing is almost 20 years old I am starting to believe it is just time for a new wing... This one has certainly paid for itself.

Quality lasts doesn't it! After 20 years it owes you nothing.

As for the flange through a hole too small to fit it: Here's a magic trick and then I promise to leave your thread alone. :D

If the diameter is right (works with some halcyon wings) this is one I've used on a couple bcds so far.

DGX Bladder Flange Assembly

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom