Orally inflating a dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
The topic of inflating a drysuit when you go Out of Air (OOA) has come up in several threads as a result of a recent accident. The gist of those threads is that if a drysuit is used as alternate or critical buoyancy, you must have a plan in the event of a failure. I'm going to post a few thoughts here to keep from muddying other threads with off topic conversation, or hiding it in a thread that drysuit diver may not ever read.

With that being said, I'm going to present 3 ideas for orally (manually?) inflating a drysuit for your consideration. For those of you not familiar with drysuit inflation, it uses the same type of quick connect fitting that's found on your BCD low pressure inflation hose.

1. Add a low pressure inflation hose to a pony/deco/stage/bailout/etc. bottle. This is pretty common in Closed Circuit Rebreather (CCR) diving, because we don't actually breathe off the tanks, rather the tanks are plugged into the circuit and gas is fed into it via the low pressure hose. For those open circuit (OC) divers who carry a pony bottle, they could consider adding an inflation hose to the bottle and securing it out of the way so it's there when needed. The same idea can be used by tech divers who carry multiple stage or deco bottles. Be sure that the quick connect is cleaned and checked on a regular basis to make sure it's functional if/when you need it.

2. Unlike a BCD, drysuits don't have the option for orally inflating. One way around this is to break a wrist seal (or in an extreme case a neck seal) and purge your reg into the suit. Obviously this won't work if you're in an OOA situation, but if you're using a buddy's Octo, or have a pony bottle, it gives you an option for getting some inflation into the suit if needed.

3. The third option is similar to #2. The difference would be that you purge from your oral wing inflation into the suit. There would be some very limited reasons for using this option, because you're not going to increase your buoyancy since you're just shifting air from one chamber to the next. In fact, you may lose a little buoyancy if some of the gas escapes in the process. The main reason for doing this would be to alleviate suit squeeze that may allow you to move around a bit better.

4. Use a lift bag as an alternative buoyancy device. This one is my personal favorite, and I carry a minimum of one lift bag on every ocean dive. Often I carry 2, depending on the dive (one for signalling, one for alternate buoyancy when diving wet). On "big dives" I carry 3-4 as standard practice.

Obviously these are not things that I advocate as standard practices. However, they are "out of the box" options for a potentially dangerous situation (OOA/ Unable to inflate suit).

Also, in any of the scenarios described above, the dive should be over at this point. Any gas in the suit will expand on ascent and provide extra buoyancy.

Feel free to comment on any of the points listed, or add your own.

The old Jet suit I had came with an oral/auto inflator. If you cleared the hose wrong you'd get a little wet orally inflating it but, the air was warm! :)

I was thinking today a crushed neoprene dry suit wiith a zipper like the old uni suits (back to front btween the legs) with a cover to protect it from the belt and waist straps and an oral as well as an auto inflater would be a nice suit.

+1 on the lift bags. I have a SMB and a 50lb lift bag on every dive. All this would work providing of course the diver has air or a buddy with air, other than that the diver is just pushing air around.

Last edited:
Should not need to add air to the suit on the way up. This would only be needed if you tore your wing or bc and had no air left. As you mentioned the air already in the suit should expand as you go up (should be able to swim it up also). If you are using your buddy's air then either a bag could be used or your buddy could provide lift until your suit expands enough. If you are shallow enough and no constraints - ditch some weight (since you are ooa and torn wing)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

You still have the wing/BCD for buoyancy. If that fails, you are in no different a position to a wetsuit diver.

I was purely joking on the previous thread. The only way I would add volume to my drysuit without the use of a LP hose would be to ascend, because at this point the dive is over.

I do agree that having another LP hose off of another system is not an altogether bad idea. However, I maintain that if you have a pony bottle for breathing gas redundancy, than it should not be used throughout the dive as suit air. I can imagine nothing worse than encountering an OOA situation, switching to your redundant gas source to only have a puff or two left because most of your redundant gas is now hovering around in your underwear.

First I would try to avoid the problem by using a neoprene dry suit so the suit itself will float even if compromised. You could put your snorkel up a sleeve to orally inflate the suit. If you want to go the lift bag route and also carry a SMB you should look at Carter SMBs. Carter is a lift bag company that now makes SMBs so you do not need to carry both.

The old Jet suit I had came with an oral/auto inflator. If you cleared the hose wrong you'd get a little wet orally inflating it but, the air was warm! :)

AFAIK, back in the day they all had this. I guess started taking them off once power inflators became the norm. The last one I saw with an actual inflator hose was probably in about 1987.

R..

AFAIK, back in the day they all had this. I guess started taking them off once power inflators became the norm. The last one I saw with an actual inflator hose was probably in about 1987.

R..

That was around the time I'm thinking. The Jet Suit had a short flex hose on the chest with a LP inflator and an oral inflator that was also used to deflate the suit. The whinners complained about getting a little wet thru the flex hose and the designed ended shortly after.

o8d5xflfzdqoua.jpg

Seems to me that any solution that involves breaking the seal is going to create more problems than it solves. Water will enter the suit ... removing any thermal protection you may have and, depending on water temperature, start a whole new cascade of problems that have a relatively short time cycle for solution ... hypothermia can incapacitate a diver in a hurry.

Seems to me a far more logical solution in that case isn't to add air to the suit, but to ditch some weight or swim yourself upward to better utilize the buoyancy of whatever air is already in there. Once you begin the ascent, the problem becomes self-correcting ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom