Origin of the term "octopus"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thomjinx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have often wondered about the origin of the term "octopus", to refer to a back up or 'safe second' 2nd stage.

My guess is that when adding one more hose to a reg/spg/inflator set up it began to look like a mass of tentacles, but why refer to just the spare 2nd stage as the octo?

Any long time divers or diving historians know how the use of this term began?

thomjinx:
I have often wondered about the origin of the term "octopus", to refer to a back up or 'safe second' 2nd stage.

My guess is that when adding one more hose to a reg/spg/inflator set up it began to look like a mass of tentacles, but why refer to just the spare 2nd stage as the octo?

It is a very natural and common evolution of language. Word meanings gradually adjust as they are used until the original meaning is lost. There is no logic to it; it just happens.

thomjinx:

When an OOA Diver comes at you, they're all "arms":D

thomjinx:

I've had an interest in scuba my whole life though I only took up the sport last year. I asked the same question here back then. While the term has been corrupted to the point of seeing it in manufacturers catalogs refering to alternate second stages. there was a body of thought that agreed with you.

You have a first stage
A primary second stage
An alternate second stage
A LP hose with a QD connector for your BC
You may have a second LP hose with a QD connector for your drysuit.

Taken as a whole the term Octopus was coined.

Read the fun from back then....
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=105452&highlight=octopus

Pete

In 1977, only the instructor had an octopus. During training, it was always called the "left-handed octopus". The hose came on the other side. The SPG was a fairly new item too, and many divers no way to attach these things to their body, so they tended to float around. The jacket BC with rings was years away. It was probably called octopus as it was something floating around you to grab.

When I started out as a kid aluminum cylinders had just come on the market, only horse-collar BCD's existed, and if you were really smart you would opt to put an octopus on your piece of kit. This was 1973-4.

The standard set-up was primary with an spg. Once you added an lp hose + safe second it all probably seemed a whole lotta hose at the time. I would imagine that that someone coined a marine moniker to the whole thing as it was more hose than anyone had seen in the past.

I am certainly happy as time has evolved far more efficient products. However, at the time and as a kid you thought your equipment was swell...including your J tank and conducting mouth-to-mouth with a real person. Ick.:11:

I read in a book a while back that Hal Watts is credited for the "octopus" term. He has held and currently still holds some deep diving records. He also owns 40 fathom grotto in Florida. A great 240' spring dive.

I think it was Pod diver radio, they interviewed Hal Watts. He told them that he came up with that in the 70's. I think he said it was his idea to have one too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom