Origin Sport MRS Plus weight pocket problem. Weights partially slipping from pocket.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

morgan_redhawk

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been scouring the board looking for a similar problem to mine but have been unable to find anything about it and was wondering if anyone could advise me. This is in regards to my girlfriend's recently purchased Origin Sport MRS Plus BCD. It is a fine BCD, except for one problem she is having with the weight system. It seems that the weight pouches will not stay in the pocket designed to hold them. They do not come unclipped, or detached, but they slip partially (more than halfway) out of the pocket while still clipped securely. She has been using 4 KGs only in each. Its like, the buckle on the release system is attached to the pocket, which has no rigidity, so as she swims along, the weight is pulled down by gravity and apparently squeezed out by the inflation of the bladder and deformation of the outer pocket. The edge of the pocket where the clip is attached just twists outward allowing the weight pocket to slip out. Does that make sense? I have included some pictures for yall's reference. I was wondering if you knew if there was a way to keep them in place better. I had thought of adding some velcro inside the pocket and on the pouch, or perhaps a piece of kydex to prevent the pocket from deforming. Has anyone had this issue? Any idea if it is a warrantee issue or perhaps user error. I have previously PMed Phil about this, and he suggested that we take the BCD to the dealer we bought it from and have it examined for defects. We did this, and the dealer found no defects (although they gave it only the most cursory inspection). As far as I can tell, it does not look defective. Any advice yall could provide would be very helpful. Thanks!
Morgan Lafferty
PADI OWSI #231413

PS We live in Phuket, Thailand if it makes any difference.

Weight_pouches_wont_stay_put.jpg

Weight_Pocket_1.jpg

Weight_Pocket_2.jpg

Weight_Pocket_3.jpg

Weight_Pocket_4.jpg

Weight_Pocket_Trouble.jpg

Ok, not a common problem, it seems, but here is the solution just in case anyone else has this problem...
Another diver was using this same BCD in a larger size and I noticed the weight pouches were about twice as long as the pouches included with the Small size BCD. He let me try them, and they fit in her BCD just fine. I bought a set of the larger weight pouches, and when she dove with them the next few times, the problem did not recur. The longer pouches stay where they are supposed to and the pocket does not deform. I suggest to Mares to not include the smaller pouches with the small size of this BCD...the larger pouches fit just fine, and work much better. Hope this helps someone else!

Back
Top Bottom