original hydro date

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hockeymulder

Reaction score
I just picked up a PST 104 today, and I noticed that the original hydro date was march, 2000. Is it Normal for a store to sell a new tank that was made so long ago? Is there anything I should be cautious of for a tank that has been sitting around for so long?

Thanks.

You could request a free hydro from them in 3 years time, because you should have been able to expect 5 years of use from the tank before a hydro was required. Ask them for a credit now, not in 3 years when it's due :)

I just purchased one of those tanks at Sport Chalet. I drove to pick it up at another branch further than my local branch, since all the closest branches were out probably due to their sale. Got home and found the two year old hydro and visual. Sales person did'nt mention two year old hydro or expired visual. Not the kind of service that will get repeat business. But I already know this about most of their help, although they are responsive in correcting wrongs when your bring it up to them. I continue to go there because my local store has a good sales person that I can trust and he knows his stuff. Otherwise they have good selection and prices for the rec diver.

I would have bought it anyways if they would have mentioned it due to the good sale price which I hope you got too.

Anyways go back and get free vis inspection and sticker, ask for a free fill, wich I got. Now Im going back to ask for at least a prorate on the hydro, something which I wasn't going to bother with until seeing your post and bengiddins reply.

Hey Scuba,

Which Sport Chalet did you get yours from? My 104 is also from a Sport Chalet. I wonder why they carry tanks that have been sitting around for so long.

Got it from the Los Angeles store on La Cienaga, my regular store Burbank was out.

Since they're a large chain store they probably buy bulk to get a good price and some stuff might sit around for a while. But its also possible the manufacturer is trying to get rid of stuff thats not moving fast enough, although from what I've seen this tank appears to be popular.

Just something everyone should look for when buying a tank. I learned my lesson.:)

Originally posted by Scuba
Got it from the Los Angeles store on La Cienaga, my regular store Burbank was out.

Since they're a large chain store they probably buy bulk to get a good price and some stuff might sit around for a while. But its also possible the manufacturer is trying to get rid of stuff thats not moving fast enough, although from what I've seen this tank appears to be popular.

Just something everyone should look for when buying a tank. I learned my lesson.:)

I just bought 2 PST LP 95's on Saturday from my LDS's stock. The last 2 he had. I was thinking about getting some 104's instead and dithering back and forth. Then the shop owner told me that there were none available in stock at the Canadian distributor and it would be several weeks before they could be had. I therefore suspect that PST had no old stock lying around. I bet it was the shop that overbought.

Bob's Scuba shop in Hamilton, Ontario has some PST LP 80's of nearly the same hydro date (04/2000) on sale at a good price. When I asked him why he had that many 2 year old tanks around he just said that he got offerred a good price on them at the time and bought too many.

I couldn't wait several weeks to dive, not now that I finally had the money together for tanks so I went for the 95's. Besides I think they're the right tank for me right now.

=-) I picked up two PST LP 95's at Sport Chalet on friday from the Marina Del Ray store for $206 ea. my local store is in Valencia. I called all the Sport Chalet in So Cal and all had the 4-00 in stock, but Marina Del Ray had just got two with 6-02 dates on them. I think they don't rotate there stock much the LP95 that Burbank had looked two years old dusty and dull setting next other two year old dated tank that looked much newer. Most people look for the newest date and leave the older dates alone.:upset:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom