Oro-Antral Communication and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Milkman670

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey Dr. Deco, I have been suffering from a oro-antral communication for 6 weeks after a 2nd molar pulled. Went back in after a month for surgery to try to seal it with cutting gum and overlapping and stitches. Still no better and heading back for possible more invasive surgery next week but am starting to panic as am booked to PDC/Cozumel in 45 days. Any suggestions? My worries are obvious, equilizing and just the mouthpiece. I have a tube of crazy glue and am tempted. Thanks

Milkman, not sure if you're checking this but I hope the surgery went well. If you dive you're risking possible trauma to the area via the regulator mouthpiece (if it reaches that far back) and/or sinus block. If there was surgery there, there is likely still inflammation and it would be unwise to dive. I would go with the advice of your oral surgeon.

Best regards,
DDM

Milkman, not sure if you're checking this but I hope the surgery went well. If you dive you're risking possible trauma to the area via the regulator mouthpiece (if it reaches that far back) and/or sinus block. If there was surgery there, there is likely still inflammation and it would be unwise to dive. I would go with the advice of your oral surgeon.

Best regards,
DDM
Thanks, DDM, I got real lucky, went in for consultation with a maxial-facial or something like that surgeon. They had a cancellation first the next day so got in and they went crazy in there. Just went back yesterday for a check and got the OK to dive in 2 weeks. Feels great, just needed someone that had the knowledge and skills to fix it.

Nice, great to hear!

Best regards,
DDM

Everything went great, got my OW Cert, 4 dives under the belt with 10 more booked. I think my surgeon has a bottle of tequila coming his way

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom