Other divers asking for your footage

When other divers ask for access to your footage after a dive...

• I give it them no strings attached!

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • I give it to them if they promise proper attribution.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I give a downsampled version to them (lower resolution, lower quality audio)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All my footage? Well, maybe give them one or two clips but not everything.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I'll only give them footage in which they are themselves visible.

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • No way I'm giving it! I need to protect what is mine.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I post it myself (Youtube, etc) and send them a link!

Votes: 18 46.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting thread. If a professional videographer gives me video, I always provide attribution or a web link, if appropriate. If customer (while guiding) or friend gave me video, similarly, I always give credit or attribution. FYI, I do not carry still or video equipment, but guiding, its nice to have a short video for Facebook. Video or still images are fun to share, but I always provide attribution and ask my team if I can use their names, if posting on Instagram or Facebook.

...., well they can’t tell you what it is or where they sourced it because they that is their edge,.....

Can't speak for others, but spearo's definitely brag about their equipment. And you bring up a REALLY GOOD POINT. In many spearo picts they are holding up their equipment/ "speargun" in the fish photo taken to show it off too. I rarely see a photog endorse their gear choice with a prize photo along with their photo gear setup..

I wish my videos were pledgerized by someone who went off and became famous for it....then I can sue for billions and then just dive.....anytime.....any place!

It'll probably be the mermaid shot I overlooked in the video swimming by?

I have shot video a couple times but mostly I shoot stills. I don't give anything away until after I get home and vet my pics and then edit them to ensure that what I share is up to my standard.

Once that is done, I upload the "final versions" to Smugmug and then I send everybody a link to the page.

If someone then contacts me asking for a specific image, I will email them a lower res copy of the pic.

One LOB that I was on actually used one of my pics on their website without my permission. I simply asked that I be given credit for the image if they wanted to use it, but instead of crediting me with the shot, they chose to remove it. I was OK with that too.

I may give a frame grab from a video scene in which the diver is featured, and I've given footage to various non-profits or dive shops (nearly non-profits!) but in general my footage is for sale. I need to eat too.

what about people who won’t even talk about equipment?
I'm a photog, and unless the other person is a photog themself, I'm rather reluctant to discuss gear. It's not because I think they should figure it out themself, it's because the main tool for any photog is located between their ears.

Lots of folks seem to think that it's the camera that makes the pic. "What kind of typewriter did you use to write that novel, Mr. Hemingway?"

Now I have to admit that when it comes to gear, I'm stereotypically male. I love my shiny toys. But I want to believe that it's me who takes the pics, not my gear. So I'm actually a tiny bit offended if someone says something like "great picture! Which camera are you using?"

I'm a photog, and unless the other person is a photog themself, I'm rather reluctant to discuss gear. It's not because I think they should figure it out themself, it's because the main tool for any photog is located between their ears.

Lots of folks seem to think that it's the camera that makes the pic. "What kind of typewriter did you use to write that novel, Mr. Hemingway?"

Now I have to admit that when it comes to gear, I'm stereotypically male. I love my shiny toys. But I want to believe that it's me who takes the pics, not my gear. So I'm actually a tiny bit offended if someone says something like "great picture! Which camera are you using?"
It is not just the camera, but the whole set up, at night, shooting from below so critter has contrasting black background, and the those aim-able blazing spot lights poached from lingerie runway modeling shows. But hey, if you don’t want to talk about where you learned Photography, fine, I’ll figure it out eventually.

... I'm actually a tiny bit offended if someone says something like "great picture! Which camera are you using?"
My typical response to that question is: "Would you say your host after an amazing meal 'That dinner was incredible. What type of stove do you have?' ".

Edited to add: BTW, I shoot a Canon 6D above the surface an my back-up/underwater camera is a Sony A6000.

Last edited:
But hey, if you don’t want to talk about where you learned Photography, fine, I’ll figure it out eventually.
Where did you get that from? I love talking about composition and shooting strategies. That's what photography is to me, that's where you see the difference between those who routinely nail great shots and those who never do. What I said was that I'm reluctant to talk about gear unless the other person also is a photog, preferably with some experience.

Where did you get that from? I love talking about composition and shooting strategies. That's what photography is to me, that's where you see the difference between those who routinely nail great shots and those who never do. What I said was that I'm reluctant to talk about gear unless the other person also is a photog, preferably with some experience.
I see where we missed each other’s meaning: the brand of the camera doesn’t matter, and i would not even note it. But it is that whole contraption of arms holding lights and neutrally buyanced with foam plus strobes on delay or synchronized or whatever. Sheesh, i don’t need random snippets from a guy on a boat, i need a how to manual “Underwater Photography for Noobs with yard sale cameras”

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom